Could Dion Dawkins be an "elite" Guard??

Special K

In one of the million mock drafts out there, (don't remember which website or news outlet it was from) the Mock had the Bills selecting Broderick Jones T Georgia. The writer went on to say that if the Bills go this route and select a LT prospect in round 1, it would allow them to slide Dion Dawkins from LT to LG: "where he would go from being an above average tackle, to being an elite guard."

Does anyone agree with line of thinking, and more importantly, does anyone think this scenario could be on the Bills radar?

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Would that make Dawkins over paid as aguard?

Not really if his play was close to elite. I think the top guys are getting 14 or 15 M per year. So I just checked there are 7 guards north of 14 M with Quinten Nelson tops at 20M per year. So as long as Dawkins is a top 10 G ( very possible imo) his contract is fine.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not really if his play was close to elite. I think the top guys are getting 14 or 15 M per year. So I just checked there are 7 guards north of 14 M with Quinten Nelson tops at 20M per year. So as long as Dawkins is a top 10 G ( very possible imo) his contract is fine.

I don't have a problem with his contract nor moving him to LG.  If Jones were to fall to us it would make for an interesting decision by Beane. The idea if Dion moving to LG has been kicked around before.  Saffold is out the door and Spencer playing RT terrifies me.  This is the long overdue season we go crazy on OL.

• Like (+1) 1

There isn't a left tackle on the market as good as Dawkins that the Bills could afford.  There's no left tackle in the draft that would be as good as Dawkins in the draft where the Bills pick.  Left tackle is more important than guard.  Find a guard in free agency or the draft.

• Agree 2

Hes not quintin Nelson or Zach Martin … not at all 

He’s better used at left tackle than being a top 10 guard who doesn’t impact the game 

A top 12 left tackle is invaluable… Especially under 30

hes playing RT before Guard lol

Edited by Buffalo716

Yes. I do. I have for a while. I agree totally with the writer and as Dion gets older and struggles more with his weight (he has turned up overweight both the last two seasons) I think LG is where he prolongs his career. 

You only do it if you can get your hands on an elite left tackle prospect or you can trade for a vet left tackle at least as good as Dion. You don't move him and create a hole there. But it should be an option on the table. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.