Chad Johnson says he lived in Bengals' stadium for two years

chongli

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised the Bengals allowed this. Why wouldn't he want to spend money. Professional athletes make way more money than the average Joe. He could easily afford his own place.

Did they know?

There was a guy who I worked with about 20 years ago who lived over a year in his office with no one knowing.  Occasionally if I were there late in the evening or on a Saturday, he'd be there, but just assumed like myself was catching up on some work.  Eventually there was a downsizing and he got laid off.  Only then when his office was being cleaned out did they figure out he was actually living there.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Did they know?

There was a guy who I worked with about 20 years ago who lived over a year in his office with no one knowing.  Occasionally if I were there late in the evening or on a Saturday, he'd be there, but just assumed like myself was catching up on some work.  Eventually there was a downsizing and he got laid off.  Only then when his office was being cleaned out did they figure out he was actually living there.

Security and the custodians had to have known, at least. Johnson also claimed Marvin Lewis knew.

But what you say has happened, a lot. A few years ago there was a family living with four kids living in a museum in my town for like a year until the man and woman were caught and fired from their jobs as custodian and manager (the young child was out running alone and the police asked where he lived, and he said in the museum...oops!). There were also people living in a boarded-up store inside the mall 20 years ago while it was set to be renovated. And a middle-aged guy here lived in the campus dorms for a year. Also, lots of people have lived in their self-storage units.

Edited by chongli

31 minutes ago, chongli said:

Security and the custodians had to have known, at least. Johnson also claimed Marvin Lewis knew.

But what you say has happened, a lot. A few years ago there was a family living with four kids living in a museum in my town for like a year until the man and woman were caught and fired from their jobs as custodian and manager (the young child was out running alone and the police asked where he lived, and he said in the museum...oops!). There were also people living in a boarded-up store inside the mall 20 years ago while it was set to be renovated. And a middle-aged guy here lived in the campus dorms for a year. Also, lots of people have lived in their self-storage units.

Of all the things you mention, storage unit is probably one of the easiest to get away with as hard to know when a person is using it for legit purposes as opposed to living there.  Some are even air conditioned.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Of all the things you mention, storage unit is probably one of the easiest to get away with as hard to know when a person is using it for legit purposes as opposed to living there.  Some are even air conditioned.

Well, maybe the outdoor ones with 24-hour access, but the access logs are monitored usually, and if they see you come every night and leave every morning on their computer reports, you will eventually be caught (I know with mine, I had to enter a code to both enter and leave the gate after hours). The indoor ones are sometimes air conditioned, but they usually close at the end of business hours, and an unlocked unit would be a giveaway to the manager (usually, all units, even vacant ones, are padlocked from the outside). Plus, if they are closed weekends, you'd be stuck inside your unit, less you set off the motion alarms or cameras, if they have them. I guess it would be possible, but hard in most cases.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:39 AM, Gregg said:

I am surprised the Bengals allowed this. Why wouldn't he want to spend money. Professional athletes make way more money than the average Joe. He could easily afford his own place.

I doubt they did.  But he may have rented an efficiency apartment or a hotel room near the stadium, a bunch of guys do that.

Would be an interesting idea to have dorm style housing provided as an option for new players, rookies.  Could help them in the transition of getting acquainted to the area & team. Idk how many would take it up as an option, but could be a good way to foster team cohesion & envelope rookies in the playbook & training.

Idk if any team has attempted something like this in the past. I know when players get traded they often have housing issues & will get put up in hotels or condos. Having a home base could eliminate that issue.

And it'd be cool to have say 7 BILLS picked to live in a loft and have their lives taped, to find out what happens when people stop being polite… and start getting real. (Sorry couldnt resist) :P

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, chongli said:

WTF? I guess he is the real Baker Mayfield??

"Johnson joined NFL Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe on "Club Shay Shay" and talked about his financial responsibility. Johnson revealed that he lived in the Cincinnati Bengals' stadium for the first two years of his career because it had everything he needed to live.

"You gotta remember, I stayed at the stadium the first two years because I didn't want to spend no money," Johnson said. "What's the point? ... Why are you telling me to go rent a house, go buy a house, or go rent a condo when everything I need is right here in the facility at Paul Brown? Showers, cafeteria, TV, couch, gaming system. What's the point?"

Ocho need no Sinko just a shower O a game systemo & pottio to be happy you know . 😎 Yah i know ...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Chad says he still has 80-83% of his football money.   Remarkable if true!

Definitely not the norm for these players, but that should certainly be the goal. They have access to top financial advisors, they should in theory be able to do better than the average Joe. If you own assets that appreciate and invest wisely that can easily be obtainable. He's perhaps spent a lot of money but he's also seemingly had his money work for him which is just the right way to do things.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.