Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?

Chaos

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

If I'm reading this right, it's weird.  Half of Davis's routes are either nines, posts, or digs?  And he barely runs routes to the outside (corner, out, comeback)?   Doesn't seem balanced.  

It’s true. It was largely discussed last year as teams knew this and DB’s just prepared themselves for likely one of those 3 routes. I think there was a thread on it

Davis needs to be asked to do more 

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

It’s true. It was largely discussed last year as teams knew this and DB’s just prepared themselves for likely one of those 3 routes. I think there was a thread on it

Davis needs to be asked to do more 

Patrick Peterson brought it up after the Vikings game. He made the same assessment on Davis after watching film prior to the game. It's how he knew to play off Davis once he realized he wasn't the intended target.

He ended up with 2 picks that game.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, SoMAn said:

No. Not by the Bills.
He’s only under-appreciated by ignorant fans.

Gabe will be fine if he’s healthy. Mark my words. 

He's been "fine" he just clearly hasn't been as good as the second best offensive weapon of the Chiefs, Bengals or Dolphins........the Bills top 3 concerns in the AFC.......or the NFC's best in Philadelphia and San Francisco.    Fine doesn't win shootouts with those teams and the 3 playoff losses to KC and Cinci all had to be shootout wins.   Maybe they get lucky and all of those teams defense's are very banged up in the secondary in the playoffs next year or they miss them altogether........but it's hard to envision not having to win 2 or 3 games against those teams while playing with the lesser offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Patrick Peterson brought it up after the Vikings game. He made the same assessment on Davis after watching film prior to the game. It's how he knew to play off Davis once he realized he wasn't the intended target.

He ended up with 2 picks that game.

Davis had 6 catches 93 yards and a TD in that game.  Guess Peterson didn't know everything.  We were up 3 scores with 2:00 left in the third quarter.  Bad ball management, bad defense, and fumbling in your own end zone caused that.  None of those things had to do with Davis.  Davis is as much a decoy as Diggs he's just easier to stop but the cost should be underneath throws which Beasley used to make and Josh used to throw.  Josh frequently looked off easier throws and threw deep and I'm guessing it had as much to do with not trusting the guys underneath as it did with over estimating what Davis could do.  My guess is a healthy dose of a running game (I still don't trust them to commit to it) and some of our off season additions should address those things.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Davis had 6 catches 93 yards and a TD in that game.  Guess Peterson didn't know everything.  We were up 3 scores with 2:00 left in the third quarter.  Bad ball management, bad defense, and fumbling in your own end zone caused that.  None of those things had to do with Davis.  Davis is as much a decoy as Diggs he's just easier to stop but the cost should be underneath throws which Beasley used to make and Josh used to throw.  Josh frequently looked off easier throws and threw deep and I'm guessing it had as much to do with not trusting the guys underneath as it did with over estimating what Davis could do.  My guess is a healthy dose of a running game (I still don't trust them to commit to it) and some of our off season additions should address those things.

Agreed.

Marino from Locked on Bills had a good theory...Davis was asked to stay back to block (due to the poor OL) and take the short routes.  Davis does not have the slot-guys speed nor step to separate from the DB.  Allen could never find Davis for the short throws and went more  the longer route.  This was even observed by Beane and Schoen during the draft.  They found him starting slow and then closing fast....you can imply that Davis has no chance as a slot receiver but has the ability to get consistent separation on the long ball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.