Jump to content

Everybody's Feeling Stung right Now but please.....


jethro_tull
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Realistically, McDermott gets 2 more years.  Depending on how this off-season and draft goes, I may be done with them before the first day of training camp.  

 

Get Josh the help he needs on OFFENSE or feel the wrath.  

I think he gets next year, and at minimum a trip to the AFC Championship, or he's gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This team shouldn’t be too reactive and toss out everyone and everything but the game was a sign that there does need to be some significant changes to the roster and schemes. Nothing so dramatic as tearing it all down but something significant has to happen. 

Totally agree with this.  In fact, I'm sort of glad we lost big to the Bengals.  In the close loss last year, we thought we were one player away, so we get that player in Von and Beane drafts for depth.  It worked in that we beat KC again and that one player was the difference maker.  But with all the injuries, the depth was severely tested and didn't hold up.  We thought we were set offensively because of how well the offense played in last year's division round.  This year's loss showed a boatload of problems on that side of the ball.   I'm anxious to hear what Beane says today in his presser.  

 

There is very little else to say in terms of threads critiquing the team and the usual "off with their heads" posts.  I will be hopeful to read of some coaching changes that I believe are warranted.  I am most anxious to read threads from knowledgable folks regarding the draft...particularly oline and WR prospects...and who the Bills might target picking at 27 (according to NFL.com).  Also, who would you re-sign, who would you bring in to replace players that should be let go. etc?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

 

Patience?  We're six years into "The Process" and five years into Josh Allen's career ... the last three of which, he's been a top 3 QB in the league.

 

I think McDermott deserves one more season to get to the Super Bowl.

 

Not get to the playoffs.

Not get to the AFCCG.

 

Get to the Super Bowl.

 

Otherwise, his tenure will be no better than the 2000-2016 drought.

 

"Getting to the playoffs," doesn't make it move for me anymore.  Sh!t or get off the pot.

 

 

That's pretty harsh and I'm a critic of coach McD. He absolutely deserves some credit here. He has made the playoffs in a consistent fashion and the Bills have won the AFC east as well. Is it enough? No is my answer. Nevertheless, he and Beane do deserve some credit. However, the Bills have been in win it all mode for the last two years. Whether that's fair cam be debated. I think that opinion reigns true. So, coach McD has failed the last 2 years with the win it all mindset. 

 

His leash is tightening and he probably deserves another shot. I tend to think it will be another wasted opportunity. Truthfully, we have to evaluate and look at the off season moves, signings, or lack of. To be honest the win it all mode might not be realistic. It seems as though the Chiefs and KC are ahead of the Bills. Others are knocking at the door. Lots of variables and unknowns in play. Next season will be interesting. I know right now im not nearly as excited or enthusiastic about the Bills chances of hoisting the Lombardi. Let's wait and see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

13-3 two out of last three years (11-6 sandwiched between them) 

Afc East champs three years in a row

Five home playoff games in three years

31 teams go home unhappy EVERY YEAR

Will the Bills ever win? Maybe, it's hard

Example - SF loses in super bowl, next year fails to make playoffs, next year loses in heartbreak fashion in NFC championship to team that won it all, this year we will see how they end up

YEAH IT SUCKS WE LOST, BUT COME ON . . . . ENOUGH ALREADY FOR THOSE WITH THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES

The team continues to move in the right direction with this regime

Tweaks will be made

That's how teams improve

I remain grateful and optimistic for the team's future

GO BILLS! 

 

 

I am not of the complete mindset that the entire coaching staff including McDermott needs to go.  Because lets face it, McDermott is not getting fired this offseason.  Just not going to happen.  But your post is a little too optimistic.  We did not move in the right direction this season.  We were what turned out to be a paper tiger of a team.  From the second half of the Green Bay game, things did not look right.  Sure we won 8 games in a row.  But we did not dominate anyone other than the night game in New England.  And at Chicago.  Two teams that had nothing on offense.  Both Miami games were tight.  And we were fortunate to beat the Lions, thanks to a tremendous throw from Josh to Diggs in the last few seconds.  We just did not play like a top team plays.  If you watch the NFL, you should know that.  The 4 best teams are left to fight for the Super Bowl.  Dallas is better then us also, but fall short because Dak Prescott is garbage.  However, their defense is light years ahead of ours.  The bottom line is this IMHO, to be the best you have to beat the best.  What are we going to do this offseason to up the level of our team so that we can compete with the teams still playing for the Super Bowl.  We have the QB.  But we need a whole lot better around him.  Can McDermott and Beane do that?  We shall see this offseason.  And if things continue down the road of not being good enough.  Changes throughout the organization will have to be made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, newcam2012 said:

That's pretty harsh and I'm a critic of coach McD. He absolutely deserves some credit here. He has made the playoffs in a consistent fashion and the Bills have won the AFC east as well. Is it enough? No is my answer. Nevertheless, he and Beane do deserve some credit. However, the Bills have been in win it all mode for the last two years. Whether that's fair cam be debated. I think that opinion reigns true. So, coach McD has failed the last 2 years with the win it all mindset. 

 

His leash is tightening and he probably deserves another shot. I tend to think it will be another wasted opportunity. Truthfully, we have to evaluate and look at the off season moves, signings, or lack of. To be honest the win it all mode might not be realistic. It seems as though the Chiefs and KC are ahead of the Bills. Others are knocking at the door. Lots of variables and unknowns in play. Next season will be interesting. I know right now im not nearly as excited or enthusiastic about the Bills chances of hoisting the Lombardi. Let's wait and see...

 

I don't think it's harsh at all.  

 

2013 - Russ Wilson's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2016 - Cam Newton's 5th season - Super Bowl

2019 - Goff's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2020 - Mahomes' 4th season (3rd as a starter) - Super Bowl

2021 - Mahomes, again.

2022 - Burrow's 2nd season - Super Bowl

 

Good teams with good coaches make it happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Sh!t or get off the pot.

LOL. Thanks for bringing back some good memories of my long past Dad. He used to use this saying with me & my two brothers all the time! He was a great man...B-17 gunner, baseball & football coach, taxi driver when we got into golf and hockey in our HS years...damn Lucky Strike cigs killed him.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is so annoying and pretentious to see topics on a fans message board site that are only created so someone can get on their soapbox and lecture other fans about being too passionate.  I get that we want a variety of opinions and perspective but just put it in the comments and step off the soapbox and spare us the lecture of how calm and collected you are after we crapped the bed yesterday. Go Bills. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overreaction, and making predictions based on the last game, will always happen in these cases.  In fact, just like we were the Superbowl favorite for most analysts after last season’s display in Kansas, you can be sure that nobody will put us in their top 5 for next year now.  Maybe that’s a silver lining.  After several decades of Bills fandom I feel very uncomfortable when being considered a favorite.  Remember, 8 months ago the roster was so-called perfect and complete, the Bills could afford luxury picks in the draft, like a punter in round 6, and everybody applauded it. Now according to some the entire roster bar a few needs to be blown up.

We lost 3 games in the regular season, all narrowly.  Buffalo still is a good team, which doesn’t mean nothing can be improved.  I would focus on the longer term issues rather than have a knee-jerk reaction.  Sunday was a bad loss, one of the very few in the past 3 years where I felt fairly early on that we were truly being outplayed and didn’t have any answers. The other two were the Colts last season, and the home game to the Chiefs the year before.  Common denominator of those 3 losses: the opposition ran all over us. 

 

Second main issue I have is with Josh.  Well, not so much with him as with his surroundings.  JA is a stallion, he can do things no other QB can in the league, but he doesn’t have the level of self-control of some other – admittedly more boring (Brady) – QB’s. I vividly remember a scene from a game I think in his second year when Daboll was still on the sideline, and after a bonehead decision by Josh, Daboll gave him a right earful, literally almost as I think he shouted down his ear from like one inch removed.  Allen has grown in stature of course and I don’t suggest he is treated like a bad child, but he would IMHO benefit from a real strategic mentor as OC, who can let him be himself while setting the boundaries, and who has mental authority over him.  I don’t believe Dorsey  is an awful OC, but let’s be honest he is Josh’s mate who he lobbied for, it’s pretty obvious who has the mental authority in that relationship. 

 

Thirdly, more of a standard remark, draft better.  It hasn’t been spectacular in recent years, certainly not in the first few rounds. The rope of the salary cap is getting much firmer round the neck now, so this is more important than ever for future years.

 

Apart from that you can make hundreds of more changes but being realistic, we all know McD is staying and I think Frazier will do as well.

Oh and one last random thought I had on Sunday: I know wizard Belichick started the trend and after that all analytics proved him right but F**¨that. If you play the team that has the best record in opening drives of the league and you win the toss, don’t defer.  This game was over by the time we played our 4th snap. The cynic in me says it should at least have been our 7th.

 

Despite all this, for old times sake: Go Bills !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

Patience?  We're six years into "The Process" and five years into Josh Allen's career ... the last three of which, he's been a top 3 QB in the league.

 

I think McDermott deserves one more season to get to the Super Bowl.

 

Not get to the playoffs.

Not get to the AFCCG.

 

Get to the Super Bowl.

 

Otherwise, his tenure will be no better than the 2000-2016 drought.

 

"Getting to the playoffs," doesn't make it move for me anymore.  Sh!t or get off the pot.

 

 

 

Exactly. 56 years is way more patience than should be expected. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, boyst said:

4 straight years of McDermott being out coached, under prepared, fielding a soft team.

 

We had to bring in Beasley and brown to make up for lack of planning while letting hodgins walk and piss poor scouting at wr. 

 

We had to bring in Klein to shore up depth due to our draft sucking

 

We had to trade for Marlowe after injuries because we didn't evaluate talent at safety...

 

Same for signing Rhodes from the street.

 

We rotated a handful of PS guys to elevated game status while drafting tons of DL.

 

Yeah.  This team is ***** fabulous. It starts this year with the coach who clearly can't evaluate talent. 

 

---edit -----

Since it keeps being pointed out

 

We also brought in Hines and never utilized him fully. The returns were flukes and there were multiple penalties ignored

 

We brought back Lawson and Phillips when we should have kept them. While letting Hughes walk.

 

We brought in OJ Howard for a 2TE system and didn't even use 1 TE fully.

 

We traded Moss mid season too late. 

Yeah all the injuries' we suffered this year, it was ALL lack of planning, piss poor scouting and a coach that cant evaluate talent.

 

 

Feel any better after your petulant little tirade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah all the injuries' we suffered this year, it was ALL lack of planning, piss poor scouting and a coach that cant evaluate talent.

 

 

Feel any better after your petulant little tirade?

Thank god, we were all waiting on you to set everyone straight 🙄

  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

I don't think it's harsh at all.  

 

2013 - Russ Wilson's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2016 - Cam Newton's 5th season - Super Bowl

2019 - Goff's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2020 - Mahomes' 4th season (3rd as a starter) - Super Bowl

2021 - Mahomes, again.

2022 - Burrow's 2nd season - Super Bowl

 

Good teams with good coaches make it happen.

Come on now. You are cherry picking for sure. Look at Rodgers, Elway, Payton Manning, Marino, and Jim Kelly. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on now. You are cherry picking for sure. Look at Rodgers, Elway, Payton Manning, Marino, and Jim Kelly. 

 

 

 

I'm not cherry picking.  I specifically looked for quarterbacks who recently made it to the Super Bowl within their first five years in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Ponder this .... Mr. Irrelevant is playing in the NFC Championship and may end going to the Superbowl ... and maybe win it.  Maybe not.  Purdy has talent and is managing games great but it is also because he has a front office and coaching staff around that can scheme and players that get open.  

100% true. However, they have weapons on both sides of the ball that don't even compare with Buffalo. CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Bosa, etc...They indeed have a superior coach and scheme on both sides of the ball. No debate there. 

 

Food for thought on CMC. That pick up moved the 49ers offense to elite. Shannahan knows how to utilize him. Do you think CMC would have bern remotely as effective on a Bills uniform? My answer is no and that illustrates your point. 

2 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I think he gets next year, and at minimum a trip to the AFC Championship, or he's gone.

Why wait for future failure? Make the move now. Who here feels confident McD can win in the playoffs. It's one and done. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

100% true. However, they have weapons on both sides of the ball that don't even compare with Buffalo. CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Bosa, etc...They indeed have a superior coach and scheme on both sides of the ball. No debate there. 

 

Food for thought on CMC. That pick up moved the 49ers offense to elite. Shannahan knows how to utilize him. Do you think CMC would have bern remotely as effective on a Bills uniform? My answer is no and that illustrates your point. 

Why wait for future failure? Make the move now. Who here feels confident McD can win in the playoffs. It's one and done. 

Its just kicking the can down the road imo.  McDermott is at his ceiling I believe.  Time for Offensive coach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah all the injuries' we suffered this year, it was ALL lack of planning, piss poor scouting and a coach that cant evaluate talent.

 

 

Feel any better after your petulant little tirade?

well, this is a really well thought out reply. maybe i will load some barrels up on you and your replies to sting you a little bit. that'll be fun.

 

regardless, yes, coaches must take into account what happens when players get injured. we did with hyde - then hamlin happened. i don't hold that against anyone.

 

but having to get marlowe just to hold things over was weird, worthless.

 

in your drivel what points exactly do you contest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, boyst said:

well, this is a really well thought out reply. maybe i will load some barrels up on you and your replies to sting you a little bit. that'll be fun.

 

regardless, yes, coaches must take into account what happens when players get injured. we did with hyde - then hamlin happened. i don't hold that against anyone.

 

but having to get marlowe just to hold things over was weird, worthless.

 

in your drivel what points exactly do you contest?

my drivel huh.

 

Injuries happen in the NFL, deal with it or just continue to vent and lash out at people and the organization, your choice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

But-how soon we forget the years between 2000 and 2016 !  


I remember vividly. It started with the team peaking years before and then falling perpetually downward squandering the last few years of the franchise QB before two decades of revolving door for QB and HC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

my drivel huh.

 

Injuries happen in the NFL, deal with it or just continue to vent and lash out at people and the organization, your choice.

 

uh. injuries happen but you must have a contingency plan. and not all of the errors listed involved injuries.

in fact, the overwhelming majority of points raised did not address injury problems, did it, huckleberry?

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah all the injuries' we suffered this year, it was ALL lack of planning, piss poor scouting and a coach that cant evaluate talent.

 

 

Feel any better after your petulant little tirade?

4 straight years of McDermott being out coached, under prepared, fielding a soft team.

 

We had to bring in Beasley and brown to make up for lack of planning while letting hodgins walk and piss poor scouting at wr. 

not due to injury

We had to bring in Klein to shore up depth due to our draft sucking

not due to injury

We had to trade for Marlowe after injuries because we didn't evaluate talent at safety...

not due to injury - jaquan johnson and our depth sucked. this was a guy we let walk because we thought we had better talent already.

Same for signing Rhodes from the street.

not due to injury - our depth sucked

We rotated a handful of PS guys to elevated game status while drafting tons of DL.

not due to injury

Yeah.  This team is ***** fabulous. It starts this year with the coach who clearly can't evaluate talent. 

 

---edit -----

Since it keeps being pointed out

 

We also brought in Hines and never utilized him fully. The returns were flukes and there were multiple penalties ignored

not due to injury

We brought back Lawson and Phillips when we should have kept them. While letting Hughes walk.

not due to injury

We brought in OJ Howard for a 2TE system and didn't even use 1 TE fully.

not due to injury

We traded Moss mid season too late. 

not due to injury

 

 

 

 

 

injuries happen and of those we were banged up on the DL but not enough that i think it changed the outcome of any game except miami 1. that was a ridiculous situation.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...