Is McDermott Really Marty Shottenheimer in Disguise?

Barnaby Wilde

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ahhhh, the guy that went 0-7 in the playoffs. Yep. Just like McDermott 😂😂😂

the guy who won a lot of regular season games and made a lot of playoffs so they kept him around far past the time where he had exhibited ultimate playoff futility.

23 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I grt you on the losing, but Marvin Lewis is like the anti-McDermott. First of all, he couldn't win a single playoff game. He also tolerated any and all behaviors from his players. I lived here for most of the Marvin Lewis era and Bengals players were in the news with DUIs and bar fights all the time. If it wasn't Pac Man Jones, it was Chris Henry, Chad Johnson or Vontaze Burfict. Bengals fans back then dreaded the bye week because something was going to happen. They were like the NFL version of the Portland Jailblazers. This not only caused PR problems, it bled onto the field. The Bengals were on their way to winning that 2016  WC game against the Steelers until the Burfict hit on AB.

This is the Marvin Lewis Bengals in a nutshell: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/03/bengals-cornerback-adam-jones-arrest

Oh, so you're a "right culture" kind of guy.

I guess there's that....

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That’s an unfair comparison. At least McDermott has won a handful of playoff games. 

that and $2.85 gets you a ride on the subway...

If they fo Defense hard in the draft and FA once again this year I will be on the Fire them immediately train.  If they do it again this year you can not fix their heads and what they think a team should look like.  They got lucky with Allen, but pretty much failed otherwise 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh, so you're a "right culture" kind of guy.

I guess there's that....

that and $2.85 gets you a ride on the subway...

No, I am not. I am saying that McDermott is. I think we need some toughness on this team in the worst way. I know there were schematic reasons for the loss, but my main takeaway is that the Bengals are a much more physical team. They play with a palpable violence. Playing them is like playing the Titans, but with a future HOF QB and the best WR room in the NFL. They will win the SB this year and Joe Mixon is getting arrested at the after party for punching a stripper but no one here will care.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the guy who won a lot of regular season games and made a lot of playoffs so they kept him around far past the time where he had exhibited ultimate playoff futility.

Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game in 7 tries. It's not a comparison 

He is John Fox, Broncos circa 2013-2014..  a reporter asked him about the Seahawks SB Massacre in 2013, and John Fox remarked:

“I know there is disappointment,” Fox said. “It will take a while to go away for all of us, but at the end of the day, it was a successful season: 15-4 is not real shabby.”

LOL

How do you measure anything but a ring, success?

I could see McDermott saying that..... drives me nuts

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Marvin Lewis

People will point out Lewis lost in the first round, but if he had Allen instead of Dalton you better believe it would have been Divisional round instead of WC.

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ahhhh, the guy that went 0-7 in the playoffs. Yep. Just like McDermott 😂😂😂

It's actually spot on. If Lewis had Josh Allen instead of Andy Dalton he would be where McDummy is.

Both timid player-friendly coaches that consistently shoot themselves in the foot and fall short of expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Chargers fired a coach after a 14 win season and followed it up with a ton of 7, 8, and 9 win seasons with an outlier here and there (both positive and negative). For all those people wanting a coaching change, is that really what you want to go back to?

Only two teams make the SB each year and I’m glad we consistently have a shot and consistently win playoff games each year. Unless McDermott has multiple losing seasons in a row, he should be employed in Buffalo as the HC until he chooses to retire.

Post of the year right here.   Its nearly impossible to win a Super Bowl, the amount of randomness involved is pretty incredible.  It took Andy Reid 20 years to win one, and no one should ever debate how great of a coach he is.    McDermott has a better win percentage, playoff win percentage, and average win per year than Andy did in those 20 years leading up to his first Super Bowl win.

Firing McDermott will do nothing expect start us back at the beginning.   

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

No, what I’m saying is it is extremely hard to make it to the SB and I prefer 13-3 with a playoff win and an annual chance at going all the way over 8 and 9 win seasons.

We are not going 8 and 9 over and over with Allen as QB. Look at Sean McVay.  Look at Zac Taylor.  Look at Kyle Shanahan. Lot of coaches getting their team to the Super early in their tenures. 

9 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Chargers fired a coach after a 14 win season and followed it up with a ton of 7, 8, and 9 win seasons with an outlier here and there (both positive and negative). For all those people wanting a coaching change, is that really what you want to go back to?

Only two teams make the SB each year and I’m glad we consistently have a shot and consistently win playoff games each year. Unless McDermott has multiple losing seasons in a row, he should be employed in Buffalo as the HC until he chooses to retire.

Josh Allen is the QB.  Nobody's "going back."  What we'd like is a head coach who can maximize the talent and defeat the likes of Kansas City and Cincinnati.  McDermott is a horrible game manager and a proven loser in the playoffs.  His team was dominated on its home field in embarrassing fashion ... a year after choking a divisional round game away in Kansas City (yes, it was McDermott who choked).  Bills fans should want that until the guy chooses to retire?  No.  You go get a brilliant offensive mind, you maximize Josh Allen, and you win Super Bowls.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BernieBill said:

Josh Allen is the QB.  Nobody's "going back."  What we'd like is a head coach who can maximize the talent and defeat the likes of Kansas City and Cincinnati.  McDermott is a horrible game manager and a proven loser in the playoffs.  His team was dominated on its home field in embarrassing fashion ... a year after choking a divisional round game away in Kansas City (yes, it was McDermott who choked).  Bills fans should want that until the guy chooses to retire?  No.  You go get a brilliant offensive mind, you maximize Josh Allen, and you win Super Bowls.

Yeah, cause it’s so easy to find a brilliant offensive coach who will take a team to the SB within a year or two. Probably why there are so rarely HC openings in the NFL. The only thing a new HC is at this point is a step backwards.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.