Post-game thoughts after a disappointing loss

Logic

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone else strangely calm after this? Maybe I’m getting used to it or maybe I just never saw a path to beat the Bengals. 

But I’m over it already. I do think changes need to be made at the very highest levels, but I’m not going to let this ruin my day. 

Maybe next year. 

This game went exactly like the first one was going to go until it was canceled. I can’t believe they trotted out this garbage D again. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bengals aren't a power football team either and had a bunch of backups playing on the line. It was equal playing conditions for both teams.

you kind of made my point Bengals crushed us on both sides of the los  Bills are a team built for fast track dome shootouts

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bengals aren't a power football team either and had a bunch of backups playing on the line. It was equal playing conditions for both teams.

In my opinion, we played with a backup oline as well.  Maybe one or two could be starters on a real oline.  We need ro set a higher standard.

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

we’re never winning a Super Bowl.  That’s a given at this point.  This was our year, and we blew it.

We are Charlie Brown incarnate!!!!

This was not our year. I have to believe that you didn't feel the same way about this team in the 2nd half of the year, as well. Last year's team was our year and we blew it. I believe I started to noticed the difference between this year and last year after the Green Bay game. We just seemed off a little offensively and we still put points on the board all year. There will be more "our year" teams in the future. I honestly just didn't feel that this year. We had a f**kton of adversity (injuries, weather, mass shooting, Hamlin, Knox's brother, etc...) and am damn proud how these guys battled week in and week out regardless of any excuse(s). This year was rough for players, coaches, and everyone else involved. We will get a Super Bowl victory under Allen and Co. McBeane will right the ship and always put whatever they can into making this team better. I fully trust their desire to do such things. Bengals are a juggernaut and they showed us why....again how good they are. To brighter seasons ahead, ladies and gents. Go Bills!

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

you kind of made my point Bengals crushed us on both sides of the los  Bills are a team built for fast track dome shootouts

No I didn't. You're adopting my point that the weather didn't matter. If any team in the league is built for fast track shootouts, it's the Bengals. Have you not seen their receivers, their pass catching RB, and the West Coast system they run? 

My thoughts:

Dorsey is not good offensive coordinator.  Josh being so good off script saved his butt this year, but he has no imagination and because of that the Bills had no identity on offense this year beyond Josh willing them to victory. 

The Offensive and Defensive Lines are woeful and a real mirror on how well Brandon Beane is drafting and spending free agent money.   Ed Oliver is on the hook for 10.5 million dollars next year, and he is a JAG.   Feel like he should be a prime candidate to be moved in the offseason because the contract is way too much for his output.   Outside of DaQuan Jones and Von Miller on the dline they have a bunch of replacement level players who were either drafted way too high, or paid way too much.  I am not positive Tim Settle was ever even in shape this season.   On the offensive line Saffold, Bates, and Brown all need to be replaced next year, and if Dawkins doesnt feel like getting in shape to help deal with his complete inability to handle outside rush moves he needs to be moved to RT.  

Wideouts and Tightends:  Gabe Davis should be a part time player moving forward.  Just way too inconsistent to be considered a #2 wideout in the league, at least on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.    No way you ever consider giving him a second contract.   That should be McKenzie's last game in a Bills uniform.  Very glad they paid him around league minimum the last two years because thats exactly what he has earned.  Too many drops, too many stupid plays.   They should be first in line to try and bring in DeAndre Hopkins, and Id be glad to send Tre White the Cards way to help the deal move forward.    Knox was overpaid plain and simple. It is what it is but he is an average tight end in the league nothing more.  

It's time to wipe the slate clean of older players on this team.  Moving forward it needs to be Josh Allen's team because his talent has made up for a lot of bs on the team this year.    Stop signing players to big deals on defensive unless they are responsible for getting to the QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have a great home field record in the playoffs. Losing this one game doesn't suddenly mean playing at home doesn't matter. What point are you trying to make? They need to build a dome? Teams lose home playoff games in domes, too.

My point is pretty clear.  This team is at a DISADVANTAGE on both sides of the ball in bad weather.  I didn’t say at home, I said in bad weather.  We are built soft like a dome team.  

We do not have any kind of “advantage” in bad weather, regardless where the game is played when facing these other top teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No I didn't. You're adopting my point that the weather didn't matter. If any team in the league is built for fast track shootouts, it's the Bengals. Have you not seen their receivers, their pass catching RB, and the West Coast system they run? 

my point is both of their lines are far superior to ours  They can still stop the run and get to the qb and obviously had no issue protecting Joe Burrow even with 3/5th backups

The most disappointing thing about the game was that we were timid. That’s on Sean. Not being physical enough in our own building is unacceptable. We didn’t tackle, we were a step slow in coverage and Josh was pressured on every pass play. Our O-line and D -line were outplayed and our secondary was out of position. Does White expect to get away with the PIs against big time receivers every time?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My point is pretty clear.  This team is at a DISADVANTAGE on both sides of the ball in bad weather.  I didn’t say at home, I said in bad weather.  We are built soft like a dome team.  

We do not have any kind of “advantage” in bad weather, regardless where the game is played when facing these other top teams.  

What advantage did the Bengals have then, that they wouldn't have also had in a dome?

5 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

my point is both of their lines are far superior to ours  They can still stop the run and get to the qb and obviously had no issue protecting Joe Burrow even with 3/5th backups

Based on what exactly? Or are you just basing this off of today's performance?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I told you all year…we do NOT have any kind of advantage in bad weather games, it’s all make believe.  Also said both Mahomes and Burrow were fully capable of playing well in bad weather.  

Everyone argued.  But here it is once again…soft finesse football on both sides of the ball.  

I don’t ever want to hear we have some sort of advantage in bad weather, it’s a myth.  

Ditto. There is no home field advantage.  Especially for a team like ours.  Its a detriment to our offense and even a detriment to our D.  The only true playoff advantage is getting the 1 seed, having a bye, and playing a crap team that doesnt belong in the playoffs before you play the real team.  Great teams can win on the road.  We didnt lose last year just because we played at Arrowhead.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Ditto. There is no home field advantage.  Especially for a team like ours.  Its a detriment to our offense and even a detriment to our D.  The only true playoff advantage is getting the 1 seed, having a bye, and playing a crap team that doesnt belong in the playoffs before you play the real team.

What advantages did the Bengals have that they wouldn't have had in a dome?

This is gonna be a fun narrative to hear all offseason 🙄

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Our team does not play as well in crap weather as they do in nice weather.  Thats just a fact.  Im not even trying to make this like a dome thing.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What advantage did the Bengals have then, that they wouldn't have also had in a dome?

What?  Lol come on, go rewatch the game.  

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Our team does not play as well in crap weather as they do in nice weather.  Thats just a fact.

Yeah, I don’t know how that isn’t more clear to some.  

The drop off in play on both sides of the ball is more significant for us than our opponents in bad weather.  

The way this team is built, it’s hurting us more than it’s helping us.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

Couldn't agree more.  Very nice write-up.

My only caveat would be that this seemed to be "one of those days" in terms of it being a total team breakdown.  And the Bengals are a very good team.  Let's hold off drawing sweeping conclusions from this one game in particular.  But man, we've had issues with both lines all season . . . 

The offensive line needs to be revamped with major resources and possibly position switches.  They also badly need another playmaker on the outside to get the double-teams off Diggs.   I think doing that will see Beane have to let a few significant guys walk because Allen’s new cap hit starts next season.    

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Our team does not play as well in crap weather as they do in nice weather.  Thats just a fact.  Im not even trying to make this like a dome thing.  

Based on what? What's their overall record in crap weather? Do you think the Bengals play better in crap weather? What did weather have to do with this? I'm not seeing any reasons related to weather.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What?  Lol come on, go rewatch the game.  

You go rewatch the game. What advantage did the Bengals have then, that they wouldn't have also had in a dome? If it's so simple, just answer it.

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Bengals have a better team wherever the game would be played.  Both lines getting beaten up had nothing to do with weather.  But folks gotta search for reasons, especially when the loss is still fresh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Bengals have a better team wherever the game would be played.  Both lines getting beaten up had nothing to do with weather.  But folks gotta search for reasons, especially when the loss is still fresh.

YEP

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Based on what? What's their overall record in crap weather? Do you think the Bengals play better in crap weather? What did weather have to do with this? I'm not seeing any reasons related to weather.

Their team has big tough guys.  Our team has finesse type smurfs.  

I'm not going to argue with you all night.  This isnt the first game we lost due to bad weather.  This isnt the 90's Bills with an amazing run game that can play well when the passing game isnt there.  They dont even have the o line of the 90s.  We have a bunch or revolving door slack asses.  This team is not built for weather.  This team is build to throw the ball all over the field.  Thats what Josh and this team excell at.  They dont excell at the run game.  They dont excell at dink and dunk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.