Eric Moulds - this week’s legend of the game

BillsFan619

Eric Moulds was one of my favorite Bills during that era.

I’m sure when he watches JA play at the stadium on Sunday, he’ll be wishing he had him at QB when he played instead of the likes of Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

Where do you think Moulds would rank in Bills and in NFL history if he had JA as his QB?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eric-moulds-named-legend-game-104520649.html

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Eric Moulds was one of my favorite Bills during that era.

I’m sure when he watches JA play at the stadium on Sunday, he’ll be wishing he had him at QB when he played instead of the likes of Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

Where do you think Moulds would rank in Bills and in NFL history if he had JA as his QB?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eric-moulds-named-legend-game-104520649.html

HOF easy.

No disrespect to Reed, but Moulds was the prototype NFL WR.

I think of AJ Green prior gen and AJ Brown this gen when I think of Moulds.

Imagine if Moulds would have been paired with Manning, or Brady or Brees?, but sadly Moulds had pretty terrible QB play his whole career.

Still managed almost 10k receiving yards.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Maybe about the same yardage-wise.   

The Bills fed Moulds the ball relentlessly........more than they do Diggs now.

Aside from his amazing year in 1998 Moulds wasn't nearly the route runner at receiver that Diggs is........so he'd have been WR2 playing the Davis role.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

HOF easy.

No disrespect to Reed, but Moulds was the prototype NFL WR.

I think of AJ Green prior gen and AJ Brown this gen when I think of Moulds.

Imagine if Moulds would have been paired with Manning, or Brady or Brees?, but sadly Moulds had pretty terrible QB play his whole career.

Still managed almost 10k receiving yards.

Andre Reed was a much smoother athlete with a lot better hands than Moulds.........and a much better YAC guy(the best in the NFL in his prime) and that's why he was still putting up big ypc numbers at age 33 with the likes of Todd Collins as his QB.

Moulds 1998 was the best season a Bills WR has ever had.........but he peaked in that breakout year at age 25 and the decline was steady and noticeable and he was just a hard handed possession receiver by age 30.   

It's an insult to Andre Reed to be compared to Moulds.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe Gabe can turn into a Moulds type receiver. It took Moulds a minute to become dominate. Maybe Gabe should reach out to Eric for some pointers

What Gabe could learn from Moulds is how to be a mean SOB with the ball in the air.    By 2001 Eric Moulds was really struggling to separate from CB's but when Bledsoe came in the next year he just kept throwing it to him and Moulds would bash CB's on 50/50 balls.   He would assault those dudes.   The NFL has decided to go back to old school pass defense rules this year and the physicality has really taken a toll on Gabe.   If you see a DB getting a little physical with Gabe,  he has a hard time getting his focus back on the ball when he's gotten away from the contact let alone THRU contact.

He is getting testy about the perception that he's a ball dropper though...........one of our group asked to him to catch a damn contested pass after that series where Allen threw 2 straight go routes to him and Gabe pointed angrily and told him to go f*ck himself.    I like that spirit!:lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Aside from his amazing year in 1998 Moulds wasn't nearly the route runner at receiver that Diggs is........so he'd have been WR2 playing the Davis role.   

Please continue comparing Andre's prime with Kelly to Moulds' prime with Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, and Drew Bledsoe lol. A prime Moulds with JA would have made him look better than Randy Moss. Moulds came within 4,000 yards of Reed's 13,000 career yards, even though Reed played 5 more seasons than Moulds. He will and should be considered one of the biggest wastes of talent in Bills history thanks to our haunting ineptitude after the Super Bowl era team. For god's sake he put up over 1,000 yards with Rob Johnson as his QB in a season. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe Gabe can turn into a Moulds type receiver. It took Moulds a minute to become dominate. Maybe Gabe should reach out to Eric for some pointers

Nowhere close to Moulds' athleticism and strength.  Gabe can get better, but he will never come close to being in the class of a Moulds. 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Andre Reed was a much smoother athlete with a lot better hands than Moulds.........and a much better YAC guy(the best in the NFL in his prime) and that's why he was still putting up big ypc numbers at age 33 with the likes of Todd Collins as his QB.

Moulds 1998 was the best season a Bills WR has ever had.........but he peaked in that breakout year at age 25 and the decline was steady and noticeable and he was just a hard handed possession receiver by age 30.   

It's an insult to Andre Reed to be compared to Moulds.   

I couldn't disagree more and I loved Reed - he was my favorite player as a kid/teen.  They were very different receivers, so it's hard to compare them, but prime Moulds was damn near unstoppable on the outside.  His quarterbacks sucked ass, so he did have to go up and ***** 50/50 balls. His comps are AJ Brown and a prime (one year wonder) David Boston.  He almost singlehandedly turned Doug Flutie into a Pro Bowler in 1998, and he was still damn dominant from 1999-2002 when he wasn't battling hamstring injuries.

Reed was more like Jerry Rice in a running back's frame.  Great over the middle and piled up tons of YAC yardage.  

Edit: LOL...you can't write sn@tch? 

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with that we would just be getting more production out of molds. I don’t remember him dropping a lot of passes.

33 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Please continue comparing Andre's prime with Kelly to Moulds' prime with Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, and Drew Bledsoe lol. A prime Moulds with JA would have made him look better than Randy Moss. Moulds came within 4,000 yards of Reed's 13,000 career yards, even though Reed played 5 more seasons than Moulds. He will and should be considered one of the biggest wastes of talent in Bills history thanks to our haunting ineptitude after the Super Bowl era team. For god's sake he put up over 1,000 yards with Rob Johnson as his QB in a season. 

I literally compared 33 year old Andre Reed with Todd Collins to Moulds.

Reed was just a far better NFL receiver.

Moulds was a stiff, over-muscled bully-ball receiver.   He had no nuance and not much skill and was fed the ball more than any Bills WR........a still record 180 targets one season.......and yet some ignorant fans act like he was under utilized or not given the opportunity to put up numbers.

That's absurd.   WR1's are often given more opportunity than they deserve when they don't have a QB who can get to his 3rd or 4th reads.    See Josh Gordon's 1 great season.   See 2015 DeAndre Hopkins before Watson.   

Reed was a no doubt HOF player.    He wasn't a product of Kelly and Thomas........he probably got LESS action because the Bills were leading the league in rushing during those SB runs.   You need the skill and you need the longevity.    Moulds only had the skill for a few years and then he wasn't that type of player any longer.    It's not like he played 10 years at a high level.   Didn't happen. 

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I literally compared 33 year old Andre Reed with Todd Collins to Moulds.

Reed was just a far better NFL receiver.

Moulds was a stiff, over-muscled bully-ball receiver.   He had no nuance and not much skill and was fed the ball more than any Bills WR........a still record 180 targets one season.......and yet some ignorant fans act like he was under utilized or not given the opportunity to put up numbers.

That's absurd.   WR1's are often given more opportunity than they deserve when they don't have a QB who can get to his 3rd or 4th reads.    See Josh Gordon's 1 great season.   See 2015 DeAndre Hopkins before Watson.   

Reed was a no doubt HOF player.    He wasn't a product of Kelly and Thomas........he probably got LESS action because the Bills were leading the league in rushing during those SB runs.   You need the skill and you need the longevity.    Moulds only had the skill for a few years and then he wasn't that type of player any longer.    It's not like he played 10 years at a high level.   Didn't happen. 

I’ve read some bad takes on here but this is probably one of the worst. Inventing excuses of why Moulds couldn’t produce with horrendous QB’s while inventing excuses Andre Reed couldn’t produce inside a much better offense, lol. The reason they threw to him is because literally they had no other receivers. Peerless Price and who else? I honestly might frame this take. 

Edited by extrahammer

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I couldn't disagree more and I loved Reed - he was my favorite player as a kid/teen.  They were very different receivers, so it's hard to compare them, but prime Moulds was damn near unstoppable on the outside.  His quarterbacks sucked ass, so he did have to go up and ***** 50/50 balls. His comps are AJ Brown and a prime (one year wonder) David Boston.  He almost singlehandedly turned Doug Flutie into a Pro Bowler in 1998, and he was still damn dominant from 1999-2002 when he wasn't battling hamstring injuries.

Reed was more like Jerry Rice in a running back's frame.  Great over the middle and piled up tons of YAC yardage.  

Edit: LOL...you can't write sn@tch? 

Andre Reed wasn't in a RB's frame.   He was 6'2" with long arms and huge hands.   Same height as Moulds but a larger catch radius and much more elusive after the catch.   

Moulds 1998 season was unreal.   He averaged 11.8 yards per target that year.   Best season by a Bills WR ever.  

But he quickly dropped off and steadily declined by about a yard per catch each year.

By the time he turned 30 that was down to yards per target figure was 6.4.........despite having a big armed QB throwing him the ball 10x per game.

Easily the most overrated player in Bills history.   Very good but the fact that there are people out there that think he'd be the best WR in the NFL today is just asinine.    Stef Diggs could run circles around Frankenmoulds.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.