Eric Wood on The Doug Gottlieb Show Thursday (1/12/2023)

chongli

I caught Eric Wood's segment on The Doug Gottlieb Show today on Fox Sports Radio. I just wanted to give a quick summary of what he said (couldn't find it on YouTube; maybe there will be a podcast or something out later).

1. Doug Gottlieb led by saying Troy Aikman is a much better analyst now on ESPN that he ever was on FOX. He speculates it is because Aikman know the ESPN audience in a more serious, sports-minded one, and Aikman knows this, so he has to prepare better. He then plays Aikman's clip. Aikman stated the NFL is great at maximizing profits, but is worse at putting out a good product. Aikman goes on to state that some of the games on one particular unnamed network this year were horrible, and that is because of the poor fundamentals, like tackling. He asked himself: "is this really pro football?".

So, Doug asked Eric what he thought about that (he called him "Woody"). Eric said the way the salary cap is nowadays, there are less middle-tier vets, with 8- or 9-years' experience. They are mostly on the extremes: really good vets, or newer players with less experience. This is why quality of play has dropped. Gottleib went on to ask Eric about Aikman's statement. Eric said that is true too. The NFLPA has successfully argued for less contact is pre-season, as well as no two-a-days, like when he first started. So, this particularly affects QB's, OL, and some defensive positions.

2. Eric then stated you can't blitz QB's like Mahomes and Burrow too often, as you will get burned. You need to pressure them with just four guys. He said that is why the Bills got Von, whom they wanted as a "closer". With his injury, the Bills are weaker, but still can get it done, as they have a number of first- and second-round picks on the DL. He still gives the Bills an edge vs. Cincy or KC.

3. Gottlieb then asked about Damar, and how the NE game seemed like a Hollywood ending, with Damar facetiming the Bills before the game, then Hines returning the opening kick-off for a TD. he had never seen anything like what happened to Damar at the game. He and all the players this was something serious when they saw the medics rushing onto to field like never before. He also said he was calling the NE game the only time he had seen something as exciting as the Hines return for a TD was when Micah Hyde took a short onside kick back to the house. [Gottlieb didn't ask about John Murphy at all.]

4. Gottlieb asked Wood if the Bills were itching to face KC again in the Championship Game. Eric said that would be ok, or they would also be happy if someone like the Chargers knocked them out first.

5. Gottlieb then asked about how he felt with Atlanta being chosen as the neutral-site field. Wood said a dome makes it as neutral as you can get. Although he wanted Detroit or Indy to get the game, as that would be great for their respective economies, which needed the boost, Atlanta is already set for this, with all the direct flights from KC and Buffalo, and with all the available hotel capacity. He said there were some volleyball tournament issues with Indy, and Detroit was doing something with their turf that week. Wood said the whoever gets the visiting locker room in Atlanta will be ok, since it is much better than the ones at Buffalo or KC. Gottlieb stated that if the game were going to be in a dome and at a place with enough hotel capacity, he preferred the best site of them all: Las Vegas. Wood said Atlanta was a better choice for ease of travel for Bills fans.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Doug is the worst.  💩 👎🏻 💩 

Dunno how he still gets paid to talk about sports.  Best case scenario for him should be Oklahoma St. basketball media rep.

Yeah, Doug has had his share of issues alright, lol:

10 hours ago, chongli said:

I'd have preferred Vegas personally...........but I can drive down to Atlanta and bring more people.

As for what to do in Atlanta?  Buncha' dudes in best strip club city in the country?   Nah......nothing to do.   GTFOH Doug. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd have preferred Vegas personally...........but I can drive down to Atlanta and bring more people.

As for what to do in Atlanta?  Buncha' dudes in best strip club city in the country?   Nah......nothing to do.   GTFOH Doug. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's only a one-day's drive from KC I read on their forum. I assume it's similar from Buffalo or so.

11 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Thank you for the summary, I refuse to listen to gottlieb, dudes a turd.

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

I didn't know he was still on the radio (or, internet, I guess).

Yeah, he's not that good, but he's on FOX Sports Radio on my drive, and that's the only sports channel available here. My my ears lit up when I heard he was having Eric Wood on, so that made it worth it.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, chongli said:

Yeah, I read it's only a one-day's drive from KC I read on their forum. I assume it's similar from Buffalo or so.

Long day.  It's like a 12 hr drive from KC and a bit over a 13 hr drive from Buffalo.

Bit under a 2 hr flight from KC, bit over a 2 hr drive from Buffalo.

I would have loved to see both teams play in Indy, even though it's closer to KC than to Buffalo.  But Volleyball must have its day!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.