Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

if the AFC championship is between Cincy and Buffalo, i think Pittsburgh or Cleveland are about the same distance from each city. 

If its KC vs Buffalo, put it in Indy, or Cincy.

Making it easy as possible for fans on both sides to make the game.

Good thinking...

Edited by Figster
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

if the AFC championship is between Cincy and Buffalo, i think Pittsburgh or Cleveland are about the same distance from each city. 

If its KC vs Buffalo, put it in Indy, or Cincy.

Indy. Don't like the idea of the Bills going back to Cincy quite yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Indy. Don't like the idea of the Bills going back to Cincy quite yet.

I get the bad Mojo part, but I can't think of a more hospitable home away from home for the Bills right now, then that city.

Edited by wagon127
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Here's my latest thought:

Assuming Bills KC, Bengals all win this week, that clinches division for Bengals

Week "19" No NFC playoffs, all have bye.  In AFC, Bengals Bills play game, plus 4 v 7 and 5 v 6 playoff games in AFC.  That then eliminates two teams in AFC and finalizes seedings.  Following NFC playoffs start and in AFC week #1 seed has bye and the 2 and 3 seed plays the winners from prior week. 

Only draw backs to this KC  could have two weeks off in a row if they get the #1 seed, but they would next play the lowest seeded team left, so oh well.  Plus two weeks off could even hurt them.  Only other unfair advantage would be if Bills win out and earn the #1 seed, then KC had a bye before their first playoff game.  But overall keeps most teams playing regularly.

Doesn’t work out then you would have 3 AFC teams left.

4/7 - winner

5/6 - winner

Bills, Cincinnati, and KC - now you have 5 teams after week 1 - so in your listed scenario KC got a second bye

Bills / 4/7 winner - Team 1

Cincinnati/ 5/6 winner - Tesm 2

KC Team 3

So does KC get a 3rd bye?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I get the bad Mojo part, but I can't think of a more hospitable home away from home for the Bills right now, then that city.

That's very true. Think Cincy would be pleased to host us.

Of course, they may be in the round themselves which could rule it out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Adding an 8th playoff team and either giving two teams a bye or no teams a bye is incredibly fair. I hope this is what they go with. Best possible resolution IMO. 

You should also have any games between 2 of the 3,  KC/Bills/Cincy should go to a neutral site (not just the AFCCG).

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You should also have any games between 2 of the 3,  KC/Bills/Cincy should go to a neutral site (not just the AFCCG).

That's going way too far. The bye week is what is important. It's 10000x more valuable than home field advantage. Fixing that problem is enough. No solution is going to be perfect.

Edited by Process

25 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

JHC - once again - they have a rule - it has been posted several times across multiple threads.

The rule gives the commissioner in the case of a game that can not be played as scheduled 2 options:

1) find an available time and reschedule the game - per the rule - the preferred method if the outcome will impact other games.

2) Declare the game a no contest if due to circumstances and/or availability the game cannot be made up.

It grants the commissioner in consultation with league and teams the ability to determine which method is appropriate and grants discretion to make additional decisions as needed.

The league also has rules in place for unbalanced scheduled that were implemented for Covid of using win % to determine seeding in the event all games could not be completed.

Once again - the NFL has handled an unprecedented situation properly and has made the proper steps all along and people with no knowledge or understanding crap on the league and Goodell for no reason.

Just because they have not told you what is going on does not mean they are not actively working with the teams on a solution to fit this situation.

If this is the concrete rule, then why are they still talking about reconfiguring the playoffs? Goodell is going as the wind blows, per usual.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

are they talking about an 8th team from both conferences? 

If not, the NFC #1 seed has an enormous advantage 

best idea is to declare a no-contest, leave the #1 seed up to the Chiefs/ Raiders and Bills/Patriots games, and move on

Rumoured to be eighth seed added to both conferences.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

NFL may be toying with adding an 8th seed to the playoffs going forward. Not just for this season.

Although then the Bye week would be eliminated, so I'm not a fan 

I only want number one seed for home field advantage (which might be negated this year in the AFC anyway). I'm not fussed about the bye; the last two years we came out of the regular season bye cold.

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I only want number one seed for home field advantage (which might be negated this year in the AFC anyway). I'm not fussed about the bye; the last two years we came out of the regular season bye cold.

This is a crazy take, IMO. The bye is significantly more valuable. It's not even remotely close. 

Edited by Process

1 minute ago, Process said:

This is a crazy take, IMO. The bye is significantly more valuable. It's not even remotely close. 

So valuable eight of the teams got the bye in the last four years and none of them won the Super Bowl. Mind you, guess the same could be said about Home Advantage!

Due to the complex nature of the AFC this year, extending to eight and dropping the bye makes sense. Dare I say it, the NFL will probably see how it pans out before confirming they're returning to seven next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.