2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not this season. Their WRs did not do a great job at all and iirc 3 of them hit the transfer portal. Some of the younger guys look promising but much of this will depend on the QB situation in 2023.

Hey Bill, thoughts on Harrell?  Kids got some juice.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hey Bill, thoughts on Harrell?  Kids got some juice.

He does and he was injured for much of the season.  You are right; the kid can fly. 

Despite only having 2 losses (by a total of 4 points mind you) The Tide was not all that impressive on the OL and at WR. Sound familiar? :) 

Barring injuries, 2023 should be different. Much different. The OL looks fantastic. Keep your eye on incoming soph. Corey Booker. He is huge and NASTY! I project him to RT and Latham to LT. They also recruited the top rated OT (5 overall at any position), but again, I feel like JC Latham will be moved to LT and this kid will play mostly guard. Speaking of guard, they have 3 highly ranked monsters coming in. Big, mean monsters. 

Ja'cory Brooks looks good at WR, so does Prentice (#80) imo. I also like the TE we took from Maryland in the transfer portal. In summary, we should be fine in terms of receivers.

The question will be at QB. Milroe can run as well as Josh Allen. I'm serious, but his yards per attempt are shockingly low. He has a great arm but is  inaccurate so far. I'm not extremely confident in him. There are 2 highly rated freshman QBs coming in and I like them both. That said, I am VERY high on sophmore Ty Simpson. Check him out tomorrow if you will be watching. I think that he has a good arm, nice touch, and he is a scrambler.

Before the draft, I will post my thoughts about all of the draft eligible players at Bama. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

If I were the Bills I would be looking for a high end slot WR. I know a lot of fans want that 1A WR that we wanted Gabe to blossom into but I think this teams dollars are better spent finding a high quality slot WR and developing Shakir and maybe a WR picked in round 3 or 4. Gabe is going to finish the season with between 800-1000 yards and 8-10 TD's in 16 games (was hurt for one game and banged up several others) that's not bad WR2 production and I think given a full year as a WR2 Davis could improve in year 4 and make more of an impact. 

Adding a true high quality slot WR would give Josh that short to mid yard option to break two deep zones down and it would be massively cheaper than finding a dynamic WR on. the outside. You could then add a WR in round 3 for some depth and to develop long term. I would then rather spend the first round pick on the O-line where there is a more glaring need. 

• Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Quinton Johnston and Marvin Harrison Jr sure would look good in a Bills uniform. 

Agree. My draft crush is Johnston even though there is no way he falls to us.  Beane will probably take the third safety off the board anyways. 

• Agree 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, billsfan89 said:

If I were the Bills I would be looking for a high end slot WR. I know a lot of fans want that 1A WR that we wanted Gabe to blossom into but I think this teams dollars are better spent finding a high quality slot WR and developing Shakir and maybe a WR picked in round 3 or 4. Gabe is going to finish the season with between 800-1000 yards and 8-10 TD's in 16 games (was hurt for one game and banged up several others) that's not bad WR2 production and I think given a full year as a WR2 Davis could improve in year 4 and make more of an impact. 

Adding a true high quality slot WR would give Josh that short to mid yard option to break two deep zones down and it would be massively cheaper than finding a dynamic WR on. the outside. You could then add a WR in round 3 for some depth and to develop long term. I would then rather spend the first round pick on the O-line where there is a more glaring need. 

Stefon Diggs would be that high end slot WR.    Think Cooper Kupp.

There aren't the obvious high end do-it-all, have-it-all types at the top of this draft like the last couple drafts...........but there are some big play outside guys and some promising slot receivers.

At this point I expect the big play guys Quentin Johnston of TCU and Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee to go 1&2 unless JSN tests great.

Hyatt is kinda' like a younger, more quality competition tested version of what Christian Watson was last year.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Stefon Diggs would be that high end slot WR.    Think Cooper Kupp.

There aren't the obvious high end do-it-all, have-it-all types at the top of this draft like the last couple drafts...........but there are some big play outside guys and some promising slot receivers.

At this point I expect the big play guys Quentin Johnston of TCU and Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee to go 1&2 unless JSN tests great.

Hyatt is kinda' like a younger, more quality competition tested version of what Christian Watson was last year.

Hyatt compares more favorably to Jameson Williams due to size and speed. 

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hyatt compares more favorably to Jameson Williams due to size and speed. 

From a box score scouting perspective?   Yes.   But different style receiver than Jameson Williams though.   JW has the goods to do everything and showed that last season for Alabama.   Hyatt might......but all he put on tape was a ton of vertical stuff.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Agree. My draft crush is Johnston even though there is no way he falls to us.  Beane will probably take the third safety off the board anyways. 

What exactly do you expect him to do whenever he’s going to be picking at the end of the first round

Whenever you are that good, you have to let the draft fall to you and find the hidden gems

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I love Johnston too.  Too bad you have to turn almost every post into a Beane smear.  

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I love Johnston too.  Too bad you have to turn almost every post into a Beane smear.  

I’ve said it time and time again that I love Beane but no one can deny he has a “thing” for defensive players in the first round. Maybe you should make snarky remarks to the tens of other posters in this thread that have bashed Beane instead of singling me out. 

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I’ve said it time and time again that I love Beane but no one can deny he has a “thing” for defensive players in the first round. Maybe you should make snarky remarks to the tens of other posters in this thread that have bashed Beane instead of singling me out. 

The tens of other posters 🤣 …..you can’t make this stuff up.  

And btw, I do call several other posters out.  You’re not that special guy.  

“i love Beane but I can’t control my myself.  I.  MUST.  MAKE.  SNARKY.  BEANE.  POSTS.  ON.  THE.  REG.”Holding Back Jim Carrey GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The tens of other posters 🤣 …..you can’t make this stuff up.  

And btw, I do call several other posters out.  You’re not that special guy.  

“i love Beane but I can’t control my myself.  I.  MUST.  MAKE.  SNARKY.  BEANE.  POSTS.  ON.  THE.  REG.”Holding Back Jim Carrey GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

It’s a message board. We are free to say what we want. Does Beane favor the defense early and often?  I’ll wait. 

Dove have issues at WR and oline?  This is something you regularly admit, but you see my name on a post and you can’t control yourself like the gif that you posted. It’s pretty funny. 

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

It’s a message board. We are free to say what we want. Does Beane favor the defense early and often?  I’ll wait. 

Dove have issues at WR and oline?  This is something you regularly admit, but you see my name on a post and you can’t control yourself like the gif that you posted. It’s pretty funny. 

lol…..I’m not disputing anything.  I’ve agreed with this notion several times.  

I just find it odd that, in every post I see of yours, you’re criticizing him.  Saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again  The Gm that you love so much…..yet can’t stop won’t stop.  You aren’t the first.  

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

lol…..I’m not disputing anything.  I’ve agreed with this notion several times.  

I just find it odd that, in every post I see of yours, you’re criticizing him.  Saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again  The Gm that you love so much…..yet can’t stop won’t stop.  You aren’t the first.  

My point is this…last year we had the the number one defense in the league and that didn’t stop him from using nearly every resource back into it. It’s paid off. I’m happy about that. Not sure why you see it otherwise. 

This year, we have the second ranked offense, but I think everyone can agree there are clear holes in that ranking. Allen’s unreal abilities mask a lot of the deficiencies and outweigh the negatives. I have a lot of hope that Beane does right by him and uses top picks and whatever money we have left to help out the offense this off-season. If he doesn’t, then I think any all criticism will be warranted. 

Just now, whorlnut said:

My point is this…last year we had the the number one defense in the league and that didn’t stop him from using nearly every resource back into it. It’s paid off. I’m happy about that. Not sure why you see it otherwise. 

This year, we have the second ranked offense, but I think everyone can agree there are clear holes in that ranking. Allen’s unreal abilities mask a lot of the deficiencies and outweigh the negatives. I have a lot of hope that Beane does right by him and uses top picks and whatever money we have left to help out the offense this off-season. If he doesn’t, then I think any all criticism will be warranted. 

Unlike last year, I surmise this view has become the consensus on the board. If Oline and WR are not given priority, most folks will be upset. (All that said, I'm worried they want to go safety in the first.)

12 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

i realize everything that you’re saying….. I’m not arguing with you. You’re just a broken record.  

My point is this…..if you say the same thing in every post people will find you annoying.  When people find you annoying, they will call you out. Don’t be surprised or butt hurt when it happens.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.