No interceptions since Minny game and lucky on a few fumble recoveries

Billsfan1972

On 12/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, Bob in STL said:

Defense not looking good?   Coming into the game they held the Pats* to 10 and the Jets to 12 - with Von Miller and other key players out of the lineup/

Very illogical logic in bold.  

Our defense is not perfect, but it is one of the better ones in the league.  

Our defense gets torched through the air..we have to figure out how to slow down the pass without giving up 200 yards on the ground

On 12/18/2022 at 7:59 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Another reason the defense is not looking good is the lack of interceptions and big plays.  Fourth down stops I don't count and fumbles are really 50/50 propositions (unless strip sacks).

Face it a little lucky vs. NYJ (got two fumbles), but would be nice to get an int and give the offense a short field.

I personally am not going to be happy until Josh Allen throws the ball to himself for a touchdown

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just did a deeper dive.  Bills are +1 in Turnovers during the year.  They started off on fire with 8 the first two games and then two each vs. Baltimore, Pitt & KC....  

As said since the bye only an Int vs. Rodgers and 2 vs. Cousins and none the last 5 games.  They've relied on fumbles with 2 vs. NYJ (second game) and heck two vs. Detroit. 

As stated above too, 4th down conversions they have allowed too many 16/27, which means teams are going for it a lot vs. Buffalo (actually most in the league).

Third down conversions for the #4 Defense is too middle of the pack.

Haven't found average yards to go stat.   

So what this tells me is that they were very good early in the season and as said, no ints the last 5 games, have benefitted from fumbles and as said allowed 6-8 4th down conversions.

Let's hope it changes soon.

We have 5 takeaways in the last 5 games, and 3 giveaways in the last 5 games.  Teams on the positive end of that usually win.  2 takeaways in minnesota don't mean much when the offense has 4 giveaways.  

Looking at it as well - buffalo has been much better on 3rd down.  Cleveland 4/11, Detroit 6/15, Patriots 3/12, Jets 8/17, Dolphins 5/14.  Not amazing or unheard of - but would still be a top 10 number in the NFL this year.  Buffalo also has the 3rd best RZ defense this year.  

All this while dealing with injuries to DE1, DE2, DT1, LB1, LB2, CB1, FS1.  

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

After we win the superbowl, some idiot will post how our offense struggles in the red zone or the defence can't stop the run.  This ***** is getting old fast

No kidding.  Coming here is getting to be like reading a Jerry Sullivan column over and over again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Our defense gets torched through the air..we have to figure out how to slow down the pass without giving up 200 yards on the ground

7th in the NFL in interceptions.

2nd in the NFL in pass defenses.

T-6th in the NFL in Y/A and 6th in AY/A.

7th in opposing QB rating. 

11th in sacks.

8th in QB hits.

2nd in TFLs.

12th in completion % allowed.  

We've had the 5th most pass attempts against this year.  The 49ers defense has 4 fewer attempts and 110 fewer yards.  Across 14 games that's basically nothing. 

There's definitely been a few more big plays than we're probably used to - and they could and have been improving a bit situationally.  

On 12/18/2022 at 8:16 AM, JerseyBills said:

On the opposite side,  Allen fumbled twice , they recovered 1 , so 50/50. 4th down stops are huge plays. We had at least 1 dropped int vs Jets and Tua , I hate to give him a complement,  is very accurate and has only a handful of ints all year. The D is fine. The turnovers will come.. 

When??.....our D just can't generate takeaways. We can't buy a fumble recovery or int to save our lives. Hell I'd get excited over a muffed punt.  

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

11th in sacks.

8th in QB hits.

2nd in TFLs.

We've had the 5th most pass attempts against this year.  The 49ers defense has 4 fewer attempts and 110 fewer yards.  Across 14 games that's basically nothing. 

There's definitely been a few more big plays than we're probably used to - and they could and have been improving a bit situationally.  

Hey, haven’t you heard ? The Bills defense is no better than they’ve been the last few years and they rely on their elite QB too much. They’ll never reach the Super Bowl without the 1 seed anyway so take that positivity somewhere else ! 

32 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

11th in sacks.

8th in QB hits.

2nd in TFLs.

Again love when stats are skewed or there is not a deep dive.  The OP said no ints in 5 games, but as usual the thread goes off the rails. 

When you talk about the Bills ranking it is highly skewed based on 8 the first two games and 14 the first 6.

36 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again love when stats are skewed or there is not a deep dive.  The OP said no ints in 5 games, but as usual the thread goes off the rails. 

When you talk about the Bills ranking it is highly skewed based on 8 the first two games and 14 the first 6.

but isn't the point when evaluating a teams defense, you look at the entire season of play and not just a few games.  it's a long season with highs an lows and things can change.  there's always a lot of gymnastics to prove a point, which i think is why these threads get a bit haywire.  

6 minutes ago, teef said:

but isn't the point when evaluating a teams defense, you look at the entire season of play and not just a few games.  it's a long season with highs an lows and things can change.  there's always a lot of gymnastics to prove a point, which i think is why these threads get a bit haywire.  

Actually I was very clear in stating no Ints in 5 games, which is a fact.

Hey guess what the Bills are 5-0 too.   Great.

I do think they've been lucky in getting a few fumbles.  

True ups & downs and hope some ints come the playoffs.  

Seems the Bills generally are going 75-85 yards to score of late, which is added pressure on the Offence.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually I was very clear in stating no Ints in 5 games, which is a fact.

Hey guess what the Bills are 5-0 too.   Great.

I do think they've been lucky in getting a few fumbles.  

True ups & downs and hope some ints come the playoffs.  

Seems the Bills generally are going 75-85 yards to score of late, which is added pressure on the Offence.

i would like to see more ints too, if that's the theme of this thread.

5 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

11th in sacks.

8th in QB hits.

2nd in TFLs.

The Bills defense statistically is awesome. no doubt about that.  Their biggest problem during the win streak (and in the two losses) have been the inability to get off the field on 3rd and Longs.  If anyone had the stats for that, it would be great.   This probably is the biggest thing posters are hard on the Bills defense. 

Having said that, I think when the game was on the line (Jets,  Dolphins), the defense snuffed out the plays and sent them home.  Josh himself has said multiple times that the Defense has bailed them out,

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Bills defense statistically is awesome. no doubt about that.  Their biggest problem during the win streak (and in the two losses) have been the inability to get off the field on 3rd and Longs.  If anyone had the stats for that, it would be great.   This probably is the biggest thing posters are hard on the Bills defense. 

Having said that, I think when the game was on the line (Jets,  Dolphins), the defense snuffed out the plays and sent them home.  Josh himself has said multiple times that the Defense has bailed them out,

Here you go....  On the surface doesn't look bad until you add 4th downs.  Also Penalties are high.

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/stats/teams/defense/down

What I seem to see is they make big plays often on the third & 1 & 2 that impress, but they often are after longish frustrating drives.

It's those long drives that Zach Wilson had in the Jets game that stands out or vs. Detroit where they got into FG position and then a bone ass call resulted in them kicking the tying FG (and then Josh to Diggs magic).  Or coming up big vs. Miami on 3rd & 1 resulting in a FG....  Of course then there is the Minny game and them converting multiple times, but then the Bills coming through at the goal line.  My question is always then, where is that sense of urgency when the Opposition is at their 20 yard line, not Buffalo's 20?  

So yes Buffalo's too it seems the goal line defense is very good. 

What it also shows is that while some trumpet that this is the 4th ranked defense by DVOA, when push comes to shove they are middle of the pack at best.

Edited by Billsfan1972

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.