I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

On 12/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

This is a fantastic message board and it’s my go to place for all my Bills breaking news. Some of the regular posters here have as good of a perspective on the Bills as many of the media types that do it for a living.

That being said, this place turns into a suicide cult after every loss and there are a fair number of trolls who come here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure how any long term Bills fan can look at the totality of what McDermott has done for this franchise and not be incredibly grateful that he is our coach.

Does he deserve criticism for bad moves? Absolutely.  Should he be immune to accountability?  Absolutely not.  But, anyone on this board saying he’s a bad coach or we should move on from him is either a fool or a troll.

My six fingered friend, what a spot on call.  You got a belly laugh out of me with the suicide cult remark.  

It’s why I often take a break from the board when we have a loss as some people cannot see the forest through the trees.  As a young man up into my 30’s I competed at an elite level in two sports, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t make mistakes.  I was never pinned once in wrestling, but I occasionally lost.  I won a closet full of medals and trophies in powerlifting, but I didn’t take 1st in every meet for 17 years.

We won a lot of games in football and baseball, but we didn’t win all of them.  If anything, the losses made me better.

Im sure there are even better young athletes who grew up on on this board.  Competitors as players and coaches takes games and matches into context.

That was such a salient point you bring up and McD makes mistakes, and so does Beane.  That doesn’t mean they Arent the best coaching staff I can remember and in some ways better than the Marv staff.  I have 100% confidence we will get to the promised land in time. This year, next year, or the one after.  I Billlieve in my Bills.

Its not all rainbows, but what is in life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

for me  its about consistency... In our losses we have seen some maddening inconsistencies, and we have seen hese same inconsistencies in some of our wins. Like running the football, and taking the underneath stuff. This is one place I really liked what I saw vs the Pats, it was all working and the team was playing well in all phases.

I do have the expectation that the BIlls would look sharp in all games this year especially the Jets and Miami... I expected a few losses this year... but its more about that ability to be consistent....The running game has not been so hopefully NE was a sign of things down the stretch

As for winning the SB, I can help it I want there to be no doubt all year long.... I have some doubts so that kind of breeds the frustration.... I'm just hoping the stretch run here demonstrates we are ready and we are playing at home for the playoffs

it has been inconsistent.  i'm not sure if it's a function of a new OC, injuries, or a combo of both.  we had our mid season rut that we seem to be pulling out of and hopefully the NE game is a sign of the bills establishing who they need to be.   all that said, i still don't care how they win over these next 5 games...they just have to find a way to win.  i'll worry about the playoffs once this team get there.  as far as i'm concerned, the playoffs are an entirely different season.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

it has been inconsistent.  i'm not sure if it's a function of a new OC, injuries, or a combo of both.  we had our mid season rut that we seem to be pulling out of and hopefully the NE game is a sign of the bills establishing who they need to be.   all that said, i still don't care how they win over these next 5 games...they just have to find a way to win.  i'll worry about the playoffs once this team get there.  as far as i'm concerned, the playoffs are an entirely different season.  

The point is haven't really seen a complete game from the Bills in quite a while.  

Hoping for them the next two weeks at home vs. two teams that beat them.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, teef said:

I worry about home field advantage, yes we can win it all without it possibly, but in my eyes the odds go up considerably at home.

for me consistency is key......  if this team plays consistent, then we dominate, we win out, we get HFA, and then   ........   

36 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point isn't haven't  really seen a complete game from the Bills in quite a while.  

Hopimgnfornthem the next two weeks at home vs. two teams that beat them.

Outside of Dawkins being out agaist NE I thought that was one of our most consistent games of the season. We ran well, we took the underneath stuff and the defense had aswers. I want more of that.

• Agree 1

We are lucky to have him here. IMO he is good, with a chance to be great. 

There is so much bad coaching in the league... teams literally beat themselves doing dumb things every week. Often, they are saved by the other team also doing dumb things to beat themselves. 

McDermott makes the right call most of the time, and he is still young for a coach and improving. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

every win can be analyzed and flaw can be found.  that's just the nature of the game.  looking for personal goal that you want a team to accomplish isn't worth the time.  the only goal over the next month should be to win the game.  i don't care if it's by 1 point or 30.  Doesn't matter to me at all.  this is getting to the point of being petty.

This

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Huh?  Joked that some will use the Miller injury as a defense.  The thing is I'm so high on the Bills, that yes the fact games have been too close of late (or losses) has been a bother.  Take a look at Philly destroying Tenn or Dallas vs Minny & that is what I expect from Buffalo.

You are right on the fumble.

To me that meant a veteran QB and better support for him and people to learn from.  This was not a Superbowl contender and the worry with McD was on the offensive side of the ball.   Over & done with and we are here now with Allen.  I thought they could have accelerated the learning curve and had him doing some things earlier and a better offensive core.  But all is good right now. 

The Bills beat Tenn 41-7.

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And you know that was all early in the season when the Bills destroyed Rams, Titans & Steelers.....  

I get it, but yes I want to see a dominating performance.  Just been disjointed since the bye.

No team has dominating performance every week.  Your expectations are ridiculous.  Your precious Eagles beat Detroit by 3, the Jags by 8, the Cards by 3, the Colts by 1.  This is the same for every team in the league.  No team has blowouts week in and out.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The Bills beat Tenn 41-7.

No team has dominating performance every week.  Your expectations are ridiculous.  Your precious Eagles beat Detroit by 3, the Jags by 8, the Cards by 3, the Colts by 1.  This is the same for every team in the league.  No team has blowouts week in and out.

And you've confirmed my argument.  The Bills destroyed the Titans week 2.  Philly has had two very convincing offensive performances after two bad games vs. Washington & Indy. 

This is what I've gone on about the Bills, they've not put together a complete game since the bye.  I had a thread stating that from Halftime of the GB game they were bad (when I posted it was 6 quarters and the loss to the Jets).  Then came the Viking loss where they blew a 17 point lead and were not that great vs. Cleveland or Detroit either.  NE was okay, but some issues there too.       

I want to see a full 60 minutes (or at least until they let up in the fourth).  Example is Dallas destroying Minnesota, where the Cowboys offense costed the last 20 minutes, but the defense didn't let up.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And you've confirmed my argument.  The Bills destroyed the Titans week 2.  Philly has had two very convincing offensive performances after two bad games vs. Washington & Indy. 

This is what I've gone on about the Bills, they've not put together a complete game since the bye.  I had a thread stating that from Halftime of the GB game they were bad (when I posted it was 6 quarters and the loss to the Jets).  Then came the Viking loss where they blew a 17 point lead and were not that great vs. Cleveland or Detroit either.  NE was okay, but some issues there too.       

I want to see a full 60 minutes (or at least until they let up in the fourth).  Example is Dallas destroying Minnesota, where the Cowboys offense costed the last 20 minutes, but the defense didn't let up.

Again, your expectations are ridiculous.  The NE game we pretty much coasted the entire game.  There was never any doubt.  The game was frankly boring because there was no doubt.  What you want is unrealistic.  It will happen a few times a year.  No team does what you expect.  I just showed you that your precious Eagles dont even do it and you mental gynastic it like you always do.

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Again, your expectations are ridiculous.  The NE game we pretty much coasted the entire game.  There was never any doubt.  The game was frankly boring because there was no doubt.  What you want is unrealistic.  It will happen a few times a year.  No team does what you expect.  I just showed you that your precious Eagles dont even do it and you mental gynastic it like you always do.

Mental gymnastics???  You just pulled a Simone Biles.

If you just think the Bills are one of a number of teams with SB aspirations, than yep you can be happy.

This was the pre-season SB favorite, the overwhelming pick after week two and solidified that after the KC game.

Since then they've been okay. 

Quit crowing about beating the Pats (I know Buffalo inferiority complex).  It was a good win (against a borderline Playoff team), but frankly far from dominating.

The Bills haven't had a real good game since KC.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He's told this all the time from multiple people but we are all wrong, he's right.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's told this all the time from multiple people but we are all wrong, he's right.

No I'm told by the same 5-6 McD fans.  

I get it, this is a pro Bills & McD site.  Just this thread with 85% positive emojis for the thread author or this one

88 Positive responses (0 negative).

It is TSW and many of the posters.  

A few will say different and are drowned out.  

Sorry this should be Buffalo's year and they've been a little off since the bye.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I get it, this is a pro Bills & McD site.  Just this thread with 85% positive emojis for the thread author or this one

Sorry this should be Buffalo's year and they've been a little off since the bye.

Again, it’s not your opinion on mcd.  It’s who you are.  You can hide behind the idea that this place can’t handle criticism.  It’s the calling card of terrible posters.  If you weren’t so petty about things, maybe people would be more receptive to your posts.  Sound reasonable?   You’re not a martyr in any way.  

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If the large amount of positive reactions tells you something about this board, what do the large amount of negative responses tell you about how this board feels about you?

23 minutes ago, teef said:

Again, it’s not your opinion on mcd.  It’s who you are.  You can hide behind the idea that this place can’t handle criticism.  It’s the calling card of terrible posters.  If you weren’t so petty about things, maybe people would be more receptive to your posts.  Sound reasonable?   You’re not a martyr in any way.  

He's the victim.  Nothing he said is wrong, we all just can't handle criticism.  

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If the large amount of positive reactions tells you something about this board, what do the large amount of negative responses tell you about how this board feels about you?

He's the victim.  Nothing he said is wrong, we all just can't handle criticism.  

here's what we're dealing with...the  guy will post a thread criticising various aspects of the game, win or lose.  as there's always something like that to discuss, that's not the problem.  the issue is 1972 consistently creates these pointless metrics that if the team and especially mcd don't live up to, there's complaints.  over the last couple of years we've all figured out the plan, and the guy get called out.  instead of realizing that maybe the threads are a bit over the top, he calls his critics apologists, and plays the game that no one here can handle the negativity.  we're talking about a guy that said he'd rather see an exciting game than win.  

if his threads don't de-evolve into this type of interaction, he's disappointed. he bumped his own thread twice over three days because no one was paying attention to it anymore.   the guy needs it for so reason, and admittedly we feed into.  it's fun at first, then it turns frustrating, then it becomes sad.  we're at the sad stage now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Mental gymnastics???  You just pulled a Simone Biles.

If you just think the Bills are one of a number of teams with SB aspirations, than yep you can be happy.

This was the pre-season SB favorite, the overwhelming pick after week two and solidified that after the KC game.

Since then they've been okay. 

Quit crowing about beating the Pats (I know Buffalo inferiority complex).  It was a good win (against a borderline Playoff team), but frankly far from dominating.

The Bills haven't had a real good game since KC.    

Do you not think the Bills still have SB aspirations?

Are you mad we're still not #1 in the power rankings too? It's like the media got to you. The same media that changes it's mind every couple of weeks on who is the best team. 

Yeah, let's forget the NE game was the 3rd road game in 12 days. The game was never in doubt. 

1 minute ago, teef said:

here's what we're dealing with...the  guy will post a thread criticising various aspects of the game, win or lose.  as there's always something like that to discuss, that's not the problem.  the issue is 1972 consistently creates these pointless metrics that if the team and especially mcd don't live up to, there's complaints.  over the last couple of years we've all figured out the plan, and the guy get called out.  instead of realizing that maybe the threads are a bit over the top, he calls his critics apologists, and plays the game that no one here can handle the negativity.  we're talking about a guy that said he'd rather see an exciting game than win.  

if his threads don't de-evolve into this type of interaction, he's disappointed. he bumped his own thread twice over three days because no one was paying attention to it anymore.   the guy needs it for so reason, and admittedly we feed into.  it's fun at first, then it turns frustrating, then it becomes sad.  we're at the sad stage now.

Here's a list of all the threads I started.  Tell me how many have been so negative.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/profile/24993-billsfan1972/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

I know my threads are not 100% positive, but none actually have been hypercritical (outside the 13 second fiasco).

For the most part I am not down on the coaching or a whole lot, just point out issues or what I think can be improved.

I know Oldmanfan will go back to the 300 yard comments (which I still am gobsmacked that McD did not have a 300 yard passing game the first first three years as coach) and the fact the Bills were a hard team to watch and right at the bottom offensively those three years. 

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here's a list of all the threads I started.  Tell me how many have been so negative.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/profile/24993-billsfan1972/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

I know my threads are not 100% positive, but none actually have been hypercritical (outside the 13 second fiasco).

For the most part I am not down on the coaching or a whole lot, just point out issues or what I think can be improved.

I know Oldmanfan will go back to the 300 yard comments (which I still am gobsmacked that McD did not have a 300 yard passing game the first first three years as coach) and the fact the Bills were a hard team to watch and right at the bottom offensively those three years. 

i honestly don't think it's a matter of you being negative.  it's more what you choose to be negative about...it often time is a mix of absurd and unreasonable.  people call you out on it, and instead of reflecting a bit, you get defensive.  look at your post in the thread you quoted.  you got all bent out of shape.  if poster has decided that they don't like mcd...fine.  i think those posters are the ones who won't like any coach that doesn't win the super bowl.  i get it, but i think there's a bigger picture there.

when mcd took over, i wanted this team to turn into a regular super bowl contender.  of course i want a super bowl for this team, and maybe at some point it will be time to move on, but i certainly don't think we're anywhere near that yet.  let's see what happens in these next games.  if the bills lose to either the jets or phins, i think all the criticism in the world will be warranted.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i honestly don't think it's a matter of you being negative.  it's more what you choose to be negative about...it often time is a mix of absurd and unreasonable.  people call you out on it, and instead of reflecting a bit, you get defensive.  look at your post in the thread you quoted.  you got all bent out of shape.  if poster has decided that they don't like mcd...fine.  i think those posters are the ones who won't like any coach that doesn't win the super bowl.  i get it, but i think there's a bigger picture there.

when mcd took over, i wanted this team to turn into a regular super bowl contender.  of course i want a super bowl for this team, and maybe at some point it will be time to move on, but i certainly don't think we're anywhere near that yet.  let's see what happens in these next games.  if the bills lose to either the jets or phins, i think all the criticism in the world will be warranted.

Have I ever said replace McD?  What I always said about him was I didn't like his handling of the offense and hated the "Culture" crap.  

I am eternally optimistic about the Bills and maybe that is why when they don't perform to expectations I get upset.  

As said look at the threads, none I would call overly controversial or so negative.

People get mad when I posted being upset at the Weather or said something as controversial as "Don't have the Refs influence the game".

As I said read the titles and tell me what is so off-putting to some?   

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Have I ever said replace McD?  What I always said about him was I didn't like his handling of the offense and hated the "Culture" crap.  

I am eternally optimistic about the Bills and maybe that is why when they don't perform to expectations I get upset.  

As said look at the threads, none I would call overly controversial or so negative.

People get mad when I posted being upset at the Weather or said something as controversial as "Don't have the Refs influence the game".

As I said read the titles and tell me what is so off-putting to some?   

what exactly do you hate about "culture"?  you don't like a winning culture?

and honestly...whether you start a thread or add to it, it turns to this nonsense.  every time.  i'm not here to tell you what to do or what to post.  just don't call people out on their inability to handle negativity when interacting with you.  it's not the negativity.  it's the inability to have a normal discussion.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.