No Elite RB No Super Bowl !

NastyNateSoldiers

3 hours ago, MPT said:

The last team to win a Super Bowl with an "elite" RB was 8 years ago (Marshawn Lynch). Elite QBs are the only thing you absolutely need to win a Super Bowl. Any other offensive position is just a luxury.

Edit: And you need good defense or one that happens to match up well against your playoff opponents.

Well, it would be 7 years ago if they had just given the ball to Lynch instead of throwing it. 

3 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

A great RB didn’t lead us to a 17 point 3rd quarter lead today.  Were we the best team in the NFL last year with 13 seconds left and the same stable of RB’s? 

Would a better RB be nice?  Sure,  but this team isn’t built on the running game or even offensive balance.  I think a better HC would matter more personally 

So this team has hardware to show for there semi success? U bring up 13secs like it’s a patch we wear on our shirts. U realize Singletary had 26yds on 10 Carrie’s in that game vs the Chiefs? Maybe if we had a bigger better back we can actually be talking about a Super bowl victory instead of bringing up that painful 13 secs vs the Chiefs. 

I have a question why do u think having or wanting a better RB means we’re gonna lose our identity somehow or that we’ll become some running team?  U realize there’s over 60 plays in a game right? Allen can’t throw on all of them ? I won’t mind seeing him throw 35-38 times and we run it 22-25 .  Now that’s balance and we won’t win titles unless we find that balance 

Josh lead again with 84 yards rushing. I guess who else are fans to blame if he's over 80 percent of the offense. Always last possession against good teams. No way to work the clock unless you keep running him. It's gonna shorten his career. The only bruising runner on the roster. Can't wear out defenses. Blow out or nothing. I think they're 2-9 in games that end in one score last 11.  Lot of things to point at for the loss, but it's the underlying problem. The subject is worn out. They drafted a 190 lb guy to catch passes. He'd never had more than 12 carries in college. Too small to carry a load in the SEC then definitely not the NFL. He puts it all on himself cause it is all on him. A little panic trying to finish.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Scoring from inside the 5 twice doesn’t mean your a good back. Singletary is a front runner back when he gets to the 2nd level he does well and in using his feet to make sharp cuts but that’s all he is. He hardly ever gets the tough yds we are horrible on short yardage situations. He also never in his l career wore down the opposing defense. He’s a JAG a maybe even worse then a JAG in my opinion. Singletary is a good backup RB a change of pace guy that’s it. 

Disagree 

He has a 4.6 lifetime ypc

We just don't feed him nearly enough. He can pass protect and good in the pass gm

Regardless- he's the best back we got 

Team is lacking a “thunder” back to pick up the tough yards in short yardage, goal line and to close out games in the 4 minute offense. We have too many scat backs and not one big body back to grind out yards. Team has relied on the qb as the big body back and it is putting too much pressure on Allen. I like Hines but it was bizarre that we added another pass catching back to Cook and Duke Johnson. Singletary is a tweener but just not big enough to push the pile when everyone knows a run is coming. It is the primary reason we struggle to close out close games. 

Edited by racketmaster

11 hours ago, Beast said:

Don’t disagree.

My reply was basically that if the RB’s can be effective to the outside, but get continually stuffed between the tackles…..maybe it’s an offensive line issue and not a RB issue.

Agree.

Not a knee-jerk thing, but the OL could use an investment of talent in the middle.

Beane has gone after tackles in the draft, but seems to prefer free agency or UFAs to fill out the middle.

He may have to tweak that formula if they want better affordable talent for pass-pro matchups against elite DTs or if they seriously want to run between the tackles.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I’ve been a fan of this team for over 35yrs I’ve never seen such bad running backs . This team is to Josh centric and it will never stop until we get a primo back. Having a a great back will make this team unstoppable and would relive pressure off Josh the Oline & Wrs . 

People will say Singletary is good enough but he’s not . He doesn’t have the skill set to make defenses pay for playing 2 high safeties with 6 man boxes he’s also not strong enough to get the tough yards and last but not least he’s definitely not good enough to have the faith in the coaches to truly be a featured back. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.  Some want to jump to conclusions and blame the Oline but Singletary doesn’t have the speed to consistently challenge the outside and break off long runs defenses know this since he’s limited his running lanes are funneled to between the tackles and it’s makes it very hard for the Oline to open holes when the defense know where he’s running. 

Sorry fellas we ain’t getting it done this yr I feel sorry for Josh the kind of pressure they put on him to be a star on every play it’s unmatched in this leagues history. Even Brady and Peyton had great backs for the majority of there careers . They didn’t have to be the everything on there offenses they had balance . 

Who was the "primo" back the Rams last season?  And Brady had "primo" backs?  Since when?

2 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Team is lacking a “thunder” back to pick up the tough yards in short yardage, goal line and to close out games

We are one Leroy Hoard away!

Seriously, though, you have a point. Moss was supposed to do this. He failed. We’ve tried Gilliam a few times with some success. Singletary is effective but has neither breakaway speed nor power to churn out a couple yards when we need it. Cook (and Hines presumably?) are pure speed guys. Out last battering ram type runner was … Boobie Dixon? Karlos Williams? Super Bowl contending teams sometimes need pure role players like the “I’ll get you 2 yards” guys. 

I have at times been Singletarys biggest fan. I bounce around on him a lot. I think he’s pretty good and definitely better then most Bills fans and staff think….I want to see the offense with Cook as the lead back. He’s so fast. He turns 0 yard runs into 8. I literally hate the way this staff handles the load of RBs. Started with Gore and never got better. Stevie Wonder would be better at making game day personnel decisions for this team. It’s honestly inexcusable. Cook clearly had something yesterday….never got the ***** ball. He might be the actual answer to fixing the run game. No chance we find out though 

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Who was the "primo" back the Rams last season?  And Brady had "primo" backs?  Since when?

Truth.

And you have to stay committed to the run. If our offensive brain trust keeps our RBs riding the pine what does it matter?

We all saw what happened as MN kept running Cook even with carries where he was stuffed behind the line or no gain....

...he made Benford miss and with no safety help over top (have no idea what happened there) he broke one for a TD.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Since Corey Dillon. That was the only 1st tier RB he ever had. And that was in Dillon’s decline. Fournette doesn’t count. 

Yeah, Dillion was a good runner, but he only played 3 seasons with NE and only rushed for 1K once.

James White was the best back NE had because he was the best fit for their offense.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.