My hypothesis for 17's Int woes

BillsBlue

Something just isn't right with our #17 our boy Blue. To me it all started after the play during the  Green Bay game where Josh tries to run the ball in the end zone down the sideline and is met with a very large DT face mask to face mask. I think Josh has been playing with a concussion since that hit and there was a hit in the jets game where Josh was on his hands and knees shaking his head side to side as well where he seemed to have had his bell rung. Flame away but this isn't how JA17 plays, somethings seriously not right and it reminds me of Trent Edward's after the Wilson hit and I'm scared...........

Edited by BillsBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Something just isn't right with our #17 our boy Blue. To me it all started after the play during the  Green Bay game where Josh tries to run the ball in down the sideline and is met with a very large DT face mask to face mask. I think Josh has been playing with a concussion since that hit and there was a hit on the jets game where Josh was on his hands and knees shaking his head side to side as well where he seemed to have had his bell rung. Flame away but this isn't how JA17 plays, somethings seriously not right and it reminds me of Trent Edward's after the Wilson hit and I'm scared...........

You might be on to something but it has really been since the bye that these RZ ints have happened. 

It's definitely something psychological.  Either concussion or just the expectations getting to him.

He refuses to check down which could be a huge wrinkle in the O and allows the D to ignore the check downs. 

Something ain't right and my expectations went way down. He cost us the last 2 games

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JerseyBills said:

You might be on to something but it has really been since the bye that these RZ ints have happened. 

It's definitely something psychological.  Either concussion or just the expectations getting to him.

He refuses to check down which could be a huge wrinkle in the O and allows the D to ignore the check downs. 

Something ain't right and my expectations went way down. He cost us the last 2 games

He's smarter than throwing to the wrong team, he doesn't play like this, he hasnt forced throws since his sophomore season, somethings wrong with his processing or vision 

• Agree 2

He's been playing careless with the ball throughout the season, defenders have often not been able to punish it. 

More batted balls at the line than any time before, throwing balls into the back of your O-linemen's head, staring down guys from snap to throw, allowing coverage to know exactly where you're going with the ball...

It's not like he just started the turnovers in GB, he was already doing that prior. Difference is he was able to balance that out a bit with positive drives & points.

And just like with the COVID season, Josh plays best when he's absolved from so much pressure. When things are well, he can ride it & keep it going, but when he's in a slump, he forces things, gets desperate, then regresses on everything from reading defenses to going through progressions, to even bad mechanics...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

It makes for an interesting hypothesis, but I disagree.

Inconsistency has always been a part of Josh's game.

It's worse lately than we have seen in a long time, but I just don't think you get a magic excuse to wash his sins away like that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

He's been playing careless with the ball throughout the season, defenders have often not been able to punish it. 

More batted balls at the line than any time before, throwing balls into the back of your O-linemen's head, staring down guys from snap to throw, allowing coverage to know exactly where you're going with the ball...

It's not like he just started the turnovers in GB, he was already doing that prior. Difference is he was able to balance that out a bit with positive drives & points.

And just like with the COVID season, Josh plays best when he's absolved from so much pressure. When things are well, he can ride it & keep it going, but when he's in a slump, he forces things, gets desperate, then regresses on everything from reading defenses to going through progressions, to even bad mechanics...

It's just odd it's been such a dramatic change, I just wonder if it's a concussion or play calling or both smh 🤦 

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Trent Edwards sucks and to compare him to josh completely takes away anything else you ever have to say 

an all pro compared to Trent Edward? Put down the whiskey 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

He's smarter than throwing to the wrong team, he doesn't play like this, he hasnt forced throws since his sophomore season, somethings wrong with his processing or vision 

Absolutely. 

I said the same during the week 

I'm legit concerned 

I Hate that he refuses to check down. I think the fame might be getting to him and he thinks he needs to be Superman every play.

He would have had 7-10 yards had he run it that last play 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It makes for an interesting hypothesis, but I disagree.

Inconsistency has always been a part of Josh's game.

It's worse lately than we have seen in a long time, but I just don't think you get a magic excuse to wash his sins away like that.

This is such an absurd level of boneheaded play, he's been money for 2 years straight going tino this season

9 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

He forced all sorts of balls last season. He just got hot at the back end of the year and the playoffs so we assumed he shook that from his ethos permanently. 

Fast forward to this 2022…he didn’t. 

(He also said for the first time in his career he took an offseason off. It may not be to blame.  But after three brutal weeks it’s a worthy talking point)

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Maybe it's just ***** coaching too. The first half of the season could have been muscle memory for the players and coaches that have been here under Daboll. Maybe the offense started getting challenged in new ways with the trends and patterns DC's have been able to pick up on. And now Dorsey's ability to read and react is getting challenged where it wasn't before.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Trent Edwards sucks and to compare him to josh completely takes away anything else you ever have to say 

an all pro compared to Trent Edward? Put down the whiskey 

Lmao 🤣  maybe I was a bit dramatic with the te comparison but hey st least you made me laugh after that crappy loss lolol I'm more so comparing the stark difference in play after taking s huge shot to the head not talent levels 

Nothing to do with a single hit/play.

It all has to do with coaching, Dorseys/Josh's aggressive styles.  When they're on their A-game, few will be beat them. 

Problem is, being overly aggressive comes with risks.  It's a very fine line. 

Someone needs to take that 4th quarter game tying drive, and put it on replay for Josh's. Showing him its OK to checkdown the ball.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Maybe it's just ***** coaching too. The first half of the season could have been muscle memory for the players and coaches that have been here under Daboll. Maybe the offense started getting challenged in new ways with the trends and patterns DC's have been able to pick up on. And now Dorsey's ability to read and react is getting challenged where it wasn't before.

There was at least 5 plays Allen could have checked it down for positive yards

I think it's the expectations and fame thinking he has to be Superman every game 

The 4 red zone ints have been inexcusable though and not on the coaches. He looked like a rookie on them throws

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Nothing to do with a single hit/play.

It all has to do with coaching, Dorseys/Josh's aggressive styles.  When they're on their A-game, few will be beat them. 

Problem is, being overly aggressive comes with risks.  It's a very fine line. 

Someone needs to take that 4th quarter game tying drive, and put it on replay for Josh's. Showing him its OK to checkdown the ball.

Why can't 17 ever check it down. It's killing us and been a theme his whole career

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

He forced all sorts of balls last season. He just got hot at the back end of the year and the playoffs so we assumed he shook that from his ethos permanently. 

Fast forward to this 2022…he didn’t. 

(He also said for the first time in his career he took an offseason off. It may not be to blame.  But after three brutal weeks it’s a worthy talking point)

I guess you might be onto something the way he closed the year out was unreal, I think he's missing beez too

24 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Something just isn't right with our #17 our boy Blue. To me it all started after the play during the  Green Bay game where Josh tries to run the ball in the end zone down the sideline and is met with a very large DT face mask to face mask. I think Josh has been playing with a concussion since that hit and there was a hit in the jets game where Josh was on his hands and knees shaking his head side to side as well where he seemed to have had his bell rung. Flame away but this isn't how JA17 plays, somethings seriously not right and it reminds me of Trent Edward's after the Wilson hit and I'm scared...........

To compare josh to Trent is ******* ludicrous 

and I’ve been drinking to cope so ima sorry If i tagged somebody wrong

go bills

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.