Adding a RB

Stokes84

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d swap Moss for Montgomery in a heartbeat. He’s a powerback with excellent contact balance and good vision that’s averaged 3.9 yards behind the most anemic Oline in the league and no passing attack to move safeties out of the box. Be a great compliment to Singletary and Cook. 

Yeah - hes on a walk year and has a 2.7 cap hit though.  If the compensation is borderline nothing i'm good with it.  

The only concern is our run blocking is also terrible, and he's not going to get the volume he gets in chicago since we run so much less.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d swap Moss for Montgomery in a heartbeat. He’s a powerback with excellent contact balance and good vision that’s averaged 3.9 yards behind the most anemic Oline in the league and no passing attack to move safeties out of the box. Be a great compliment to Singletary and Cook. 

Why would the Bears want Moss lmao

1 hour ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

Do you really think bringing in another middling RB will amount to much? Would any of those guys get enough touches to mean anything? Gibson does intrigue me but since the Bills don't run that much, would they be an upgrade over Cook&Moss?

• Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Why would the Bears want Moss lmao

A body to go along with the draft pick. 

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yeah - hes on a walk year and has a 2.7 cap hit though.  If the compensation is borderline nothing i'm good with it.  

The only concern is our run blocking is also terrible, and he's not going to get the volume he gets in chicago since we run so much less.  

Certainly not the cheapest option, but he does get the tough yards, is used to a committee, and would be reliable if Singletary gets injured. Plus, he’s used to horrible blocking and loaded boxes, so there’s potentially some upside with 17, 14, and 13 forcing teams to play nickel. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

A body to go along with the draft pick. 

Certainly not the cheapest option, but he does get the tough yards, is used to a committee, and would be reliable if Singletary gets injured. Plus, he’s used to horrible blocking and loaded boxes, so there’s potentially some upside with 17, 14, and 13 forcing teams to play nickel. 

Its not so expensive that it makes a big difference either way.  I'm just not sure he's a huge upgrade so I'd offer very little in the way of compensation.  

Between singletary and cook i'm not even sure he's getting snaps.  Is he a good pass protector?  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only thing that rouses my curiosity from a running back trade market standpoint is this:

Antonio Gibson was a college WR. He had 735 yards and 8 TDs as a senior, averaging 19.3 yards per reception.

For whatever reason, when he got to Washington, they just decided to...NOT use the pass-catching aspect of his game very much. They have used McKissic as the receiving back and sort of pigeonholed Gibson as an early down back. 

Very strange. Borderline personnel usage malpractice.

I'd be curious to see what he could do as a moving chess piece, 3rd down back, slot receiver type player. CMC/Deebo lite. And NO, I am not saying he is as talented as either of those guys. I'm just saying he has a versatility and skillset that should make him a much more moveable, diverse, interesting offensive weapon than the way Washington has used him. He's CERTAINLY better than Zack Moss. He's only 24 years old and posted 1300 yards from scrimmage and 10 TDs just last season.

Considering that he seems to be totally in the doghouse in Washington and could likely be had for very little compensation, and considering McDermott and Beane's relationship with Ron Rivera, I have to think that a trade could be very doable. 

The ONLY hang up I have is that I'm not sure how Gibson fits as far as culture/character goes. If he's a good dude? Trade a late round pick for him and see if he can "become the best version of himself" here. 

P.S. This isn't an anti-Singletary thread. Singletary would continue to be the starter. Every team needs good depth, injuries happen, and as I mentioned, Gibson could have a specialized role in the offense, different than Motor's.

He’s the only guy that peaks my interest too. He was my draft crush and was heartbroken when the WFT snagged him earlier than expected.  We settled for Moss, sigh.  

that said- his usage is quite confusing.  As is Washington deciding to move on from him so quickly.  Why?  That’s the question 

I’d love to use him like the niners use Deebo-  that’s a pretty good comparison….. as long as he can still run routes and at a professional level.  He’s got some home run ability.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He’s the only guy that peaks my interest too. He was my draft crush and was heartbroken when the WFT snagged him earlier than expected.  We settled for Moss, sigh.  

that said- his usage is quite confusing.  As is Washington deciding to move on from him so quickly.  Why?  That’s the question 

I’d love to use him like the niners use Deebo-  that’s a pretty good comparison….. as long as he can still run routes and at a professional level.  He’s got some home run ability.

His usage is probably about to spike. Once they put him in the second half of the bears game their offense started moving. Rivera was going on and on about Gibson changing the offense and they should have played him more in the first half. With Wentz out Gibson and Robinson are going to be the 1-2 punch and mckissic probably only plays if they abandon the run by going down big. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

run blocking is adequate as long as they do pin and pull concepts. 

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Its not so expensive that it makes a big difference either way.  I'm just not sure he's a huge upgrade so I'd offer very little in the way of compensation.  

Between singletary and cook i'm not even sure he's getting snaps.  Is he a good pass protector?  

He is. At 225-230 pounds with good vision he can stonewall blitzers reliably. 

B42E957C-50F6-40BA-BEB5-779480386943.jpeg

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

People wanna hear what they wanna hear. Our RB depth stinks. If Singletary goes down, we are stuck with Moss, Cook, who isn't nor should be expected, to be a full time RB this quickly, and Duke Johnson who hasn't been relevant in 3 years. 

This team could use another back that can take some of the work off of Singletary so he's fresh down the stretch. I vouched for Gibson because we can probably get him for a 5. He comes from a dumpster fire of an organization and needs a fresh start. I was met with Singletary is better and what a dumb idea, when the idea was for him to come in and be our Running back 2, not to be our workhorse back. 

We knew that going into the season.  It's not like Beane just woke up at the bye week and realized our backs are Motor, Moss, and Cook.  Unless one of them gets hurt and we're down to two, I think it's panic over nothing.

And for the record, I'm all in favor of Cook getting more touches now, and if something happens to motor, him being the #1.

Just now, Billz4ever said:

We knew that going into the season.  It's not like Beane just woke up at the bye week and realized our backs are Motor, Moss, and Cook.  Unless one of them gets hurt and we're down to two, I think it's panic over nothing.

And for the record, I'm all in favor of Cook getting more touches now, and if something happens to motor, him being the #1.

I doubt thats true though. They probably still thought they had something in Moss when they didn't. After 6 weeks, they now realize they are wrong which is why he's inactive. I'm all for getting Cook more looks as well. I think having a parachute to fall back on in case Cook craps the bed isn't the worst idea. I agree that interior OL should be a priority or at least another Tackle now that Doyle and Brown are down probably for a period of time and our next best back up option is either Justin Murray or Bobby Hart.  

25 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Do you really think bringing in another middling RB will amount to much? Would any of those guys get enough touches to mean anything? Gibson does intrigue me but since the Bills don't run that much, would they be an upgrade over Cook&Moss?

He got benched for a reason in DC

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I kind of feel bad for Singletary. He plays his heart out for the team and actually does pretty dang good and there is just this constant talk about him being the weak link and replacing him.

Maybe I'll stop thinking about replacing him when he runs into the endzone a single time this season.

24 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I doubt thats true though. They probably still thought they had something in Moss when they didn't. After 6 weeks, they now realize they are wrong which is why he's inactive. I'm all for getting Cook more looks as well. I think having a parachute to fall back on in case Cook craps the bed isn't the worst idea. I agree that interior OL should be a priority or at least another Tackle now that Doyle and Brown are down probably for a period of time and our next best back up option is either Justin Murray or Bobby Hart.  

I don't think the FO was under any illusions that Moss was getting ready to have a breakout year, since if they did, he wouldn't be behind Singletary in the first place, but Motor had a very good week last week with the touches he had and I think Cook is only going to get better with the more playing time he gets.  I could be wrong, but I may also be right.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe I'll stop thinking about replacing him when he runs into the endzone a single time this season.

He could've scored against Baltimore, but looked to have intentionally tucked it and went down at the 3-yard line.  And considering how much we pass, is it a huge surprise we don't have many rushing TDs?  JA17 is tied for the league lead in TD passes.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He has 7 runs in the red zone on the season.  Moss has 0, Cook has 2.  Inside 10 yards we have run the ball 4 times. 

Allen has 13 carries inside the 20, and 8 carries inside the 10.  

How is he supposed to get TDs when he has so few chances?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He has 7 runs in the red zone on the season.  Moss has 0, Cook has 2.  Inside 10 yards we have run the ball 4 times. 

We don't hand him the ball inside the red zone because Dorsey knows it's a wasted down. He should have scored against the Chiefs but doesn't have enough burst to get into the endzone. We're 6 games into the season and we have exactly 1 rushing TD from a player not named Josh Allen, and it just so happens that that TD was from our one RB with burst. I don't think that statistic can be excused away. I appreciate what Singletary does for us between the 20s but there a lot of opportunities being left on the field. It's natural for fans to want the position to be upgraded.

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If we would quit the cutesy plays down near the goal line that have led to a couple turnovers, we very well might have a couple more rushing TDs.  I've repeatedly said the need to quit getting fancy and run it right at teams when we're down there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.