Coaching and Preparation…an example…

eball

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I continue to roll my eyes at anyone who claims the Bills aren’t one of the best coached and best prepared teams in the league.

There are specific complaints and separate parts to all that. I think the off-field coaching and preparation have been top notch. In game calls obviously lacking in some games, as well as player focus, but there's only so much you can do for that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

There are specific complaints and separate parts to all that. I think the off-field coaching and preparation have been top notch. In game calls obviously lacking in some games, as well as player focus, but there's only so much you can do for that.

Those in-game calls are few and far between, and can be said for every team in the league — even those considered to have the best coaches.

Did you see the chart that ranks the Bills #1 in correctly making 4th down decisions?  Did you see the awesome clock management last week leading to two end of half scores that essentially decided the game?  That’s in-game coaching.

Pessimistic, nay-saying fans are a huge drag.  In every stinking game you can cherry-pick a call or two you’d second guess or make differently.  Every. Game.  The next time I see any HC, OC, and DC call the “perfect” game will be the first.

It’s not “insightful” or “realistic” to cherry-pick a couple of decisions a game to criticize, when no team or coach in the league is immune.

Stuff like what I posted is much more insightful (IMO) in seeing how this team gets ready for a football game.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Those in-game calls are few and far between, and can be said for every team in the league — even those considered to have the best coaches.

Did you see the chart that ranks the Bills #1 in correctly making 4th down decisions?  Did you see the awesome clock management last week leading to two end of half scores that essentially decided the game?  That’s in-game coaching.

Pessimistic, nay-saying fans are a huge drag.  In every stinking game you can cherry-pick a call or two you’d second guess or make differently.  Every. Game.  The next time I see any HC, OC, and DC call the “perfect” game will be the first.

It’s not “insightful” or “realistic” to cherry-pick a couple of decisions a game to criticize, when no team or coach in the league is immune.

Stuff like what I posted is much more insightful (IMO) in seeing how this team gets ready for a football game.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I'm one of the most optimistic fans out there. But you can do the same insightful analysis of any bad call during a game as well (see all the "13 seconds" analysis). There's no doubt that the Bills are well coached, but they still have to get over the hump to get to the Super Bowl and their biggest failure so far was due to coaching. It's gonna hang with them, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is what is talked about on the Pat McAfee show with guys practicing plays and how when they recognize the play they practiced things like that happen. They also say they love when it comes together like that b.c it shows the hard work and preparation pays off.

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Cherry picking is my favourite thing to do.....  

Yes a great play and a great call.....  All this after Baltimore marched 95 yards and converted two third and long plays.  There are so many plays in a game that can be singled out.   

Thankfully Lamar missed open receivers on third & fourth down or this play would have been forgotten.

Important play at an important time.      

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I'm one of the most optimistic fans out there. But you can do the same insightful analysis of any bad call during a game as well (see all the "13 seconds" analysis). There's no doubt that the Bills are well coached, but they still have to get over the hump to get to the Super Bowl and their biggest failure so far was due to coaching. It's gonna hang with them, unfortunately.

We actually don't know if it was coaching.  A lot of assumptions have been made without any concrete evidence.  Levi Wallace admitted he got "lost in the moment."

Anyway, you make a decent point about getting over the hump.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone who wants to nitpick about McDermott - can point to this anecdote and ruminate that no one in the "Lost Generation" of Bills staffs between 2001-2016 was consistently preparing their teams, week in and week out, for this type of situational football.

Yes, we finally have top end talent and depth, but it's the preparation element that is helping to potentially separate us from "very good" to "great"

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Anyone who wants to nitpick about McDermott - can point to this anecdote and ruminate that no one in the "Lost Generation" of Bills staffs between 2001-2016 was consistently preparing their teams, week in and week out, for this type of situational football.

Yes, we finally have top end talent and depth, but it's the preparation element that is helping to potentially separate us from "very good" to "great"

Almost…..

Jim Schwartz was a great DC for us. Unfortunately, Hackett was his colleague on the offensive side.

47 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes a great play and a great call.....  All this after Baltimore marched 95 yards and converted two third and long plays.  There are so many plays in a game that can be singled out.   

Thankfully Lamar missed open receivers on third & fourth down or this play would have been forgotten.

Barf.... nobody needs this sort of energy on a friday. stop it. its embarrassing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Barf.... nobody needs this sort of energy on a friday. stop it. its embarrassing.

Huh????  

It was a great play, I agree 100%.  But yes it was cherry picking a play.

Can I complain about bad defense on 3rd & 8 and 12 during that drive?😉

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Halftime adjustments are unbelievable as well...

3rd Quarter scoring:

Bills 44

Opp 0

2nd half scoring:

Bills 63

Opp 7

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Halftime adjustments are unbelievable as well...

3rd Quarter scoring:

Bills 44

Opp 0

2nd half scoring:

Bills 63

Opp 7

This is an excellent point.  Didn't the Bills have difficulty scoring in the 3rd quarter last season?  IIRC people were complaining they always came out flat after halftime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

This is an excellent point.  Didn't the Bills have difficulty scoring in the 3rd quarter last season?  IIRC people were complaining they always came out flat after halftime.

Yeah, they used to go 3 and out on an alarming amount of their opening 3rd quarter possessions but overall they were actually pretty good...6th highest scoring team last year in the 3rd quarter averaging 6.3 points per game.  Were also excellent on D in the 3rd quarter last year although not quite as good as they have ben this year, allowing only an average of 2.8 points per game by opponents, 2nd best in the NFL to Cincinnati's 2.5.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Yeah, we had a running joke in one of the group chats about the "dreaded 3rd quarter", and folks not bothering to come back from halftime until the 4th quarter. They really turned that around. Great stuff to see in the development of a first time Head Coach and his staff.

• Agree 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, we had a running joke in one of the group chats about the "dreaded 3rd quarter", and folks not bothering to come back from halftime until the 4th quarter. They really turned that around. Great stuff to see in the development of a first time Head Coach and his staff.

As I remember it was the first part of the 3rd quarter and they used to put up points in he later parts of the quarter regularly...finished with the 6th best 3rd quarter scoring rate of any team in the league last year averaging 6.3 points 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

You don’t think coaching played a part at all in the 13 second debacle AFTER they used time outs between the two plays that got the Chiefs into FG range? 😅

Ridiculous. Even for you. 

Here's what we know...not what we assume:

-- ST coach Heath Farwell "resigned" his job with the Bills days after Tyler Bass kicked a touchback.

-- Levi Wallace said in a podcast that he got "lost in the moment" of the final 13 seconds.

-- the Bills did play "non-aggressively" during the two plays post-kickoff.

I didn't say coaching "didn't play a part at all" -- never have.  I said too many people are blaming the loss solely on coaching.  It's not a difficult distinction to make.

Also, when I say "coaching" I'm really referring to McDermott.

I think the loss at KC was a combination of Farwell effing up the KO call and certain players (Wallace) not doing their jobs.  You'll never get me to believe Frazier called a defense that left Kelce alone down the seam.  A player screwed up.  They still had to make a 50-yard FG in the cold to tie.

But that's not what this thread is about.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Here's what we know...not what we assume:

-- ST coach Heath Farwell "resigned" his job with the Bills days after Tyler Bass kicked a touchback.

-- Levi Wallace said in a podcast that he got "lost in the moment" of the final 13 seconds.

-- the Bills did play "non-aggressively" during the two plays post-kickoff.

I didn't say coaching "didn't play a part at all" -- never have.  I said too many people are blaming the loss solely on coaching.  It's not a difficult distinction to make.

Also, when I say "coaching" I'm really referring to McDermott.

I think the loss at KC was a combination of Farwell effing up the KO call and certain players (Wallace) not doing their jobs.  You'll never get me to believe Frazier called a defense that left Kelce alone down the seam.  A player screwed up.  They still had to make a 50-yard FG in the cold to tie.

But that's not what this thread is about.

Wallace literally was defending the sideline against nobody on the last play where Kelce made the reception...I'm like WTF are you doing?  There is nobody out there to cover and it wasn't important to cover the sideline as KC had a timeout anyway and the clock was their enemy not using a TO at that point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You don’t think coaching played a part at all in the 13 second debacle AFTER they used time outs between the two plays that got the Chiefs into FG range? 😅

Ridiculous. Even for you. 

It's a pattern here.  When thigs go well, it's "Look how great the play calling and McD are".

When things not so good, well they bury their heads.

Those 13 seconds were a minimum 90% on the coaches.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.