Coaching and Preparation…an example…

eball

5 minutes ago, teef said:

You were posting normally in a thread and I checked the board.  That needs an alert?

This coaching talk has really made you a bit unraveled this week.  On occasion we just have to take a step away from the internet.  You think you’re anywhere close to that?  Just looking out.  

Appreciate the concern.  Actually went back to check all the threads I have started and I never really do about McD.  But when people deflect from McD (especially 13 seconds), yes it bothers me (and heck I think 95% he is doing a great job).  

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like Wallace being a good soldier… Not sure how you can watch the last 13 seconds of that game and not put some blame on the coaching staff considering they called TOs before both plays, the players were protecting the sidelines for whatever reason, and Mahomes is literally on mic stating an obvious hole the in the defensive alignment before the last play to get them into FG range.

It was a ***** up on everyone’s part…. We don’t have to sit here and pretend McDermott and Frazier weren’t a big part of that because they are still here.

And they need to draft oline and wr earlier and stop using premium picks on rb. They have their habitual weaknesses, but they've also turned the franchise around, and thanks to Josh Allen should be perennial playoff teams with a shot at the SB for the next decade. I'll take that, especially after the drought years and mortality and all.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Absolutely.

Dont disagree with any of that. I just find it humorous and ridiculous that some feel the need to defend McD and Frazier for the ***** up that it was…. Just call it like it is. Everybody ***** up. They can put it behind them and win it all this season.

Regardless it will always be a albatross round McD's neck.  Reed had the same issues until KC won, and now it is in the rearview mirror.  So much so that even the meltdown last year vs. Cincy has been for the most part ignored.

Let's have the Bills win it all this year and we can slowly let it fade into the sunset.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Regardless it will always be a albatross round McD's neck.  Reed had the same issues until KC won, and now it is in the rearview mirror.  So much so that even the meltdown last year vs. Cincy has been for the most part ignored.

Let's have the Bills win it all this year and we can slowly let it fade into the sunset.

If they win it all, it's pretty much immediate forgiveness I think.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Please stop about the KC game, it was a colossal coaching blunder.  Wallace was just one part of it.  No one covering Kelce or Hill (on first down too) was on the coaching.

As for Miami.  You maybe right, but just stupidity all around.  McKenzie caught the ball in the middle of the field.  Coaching, like Hill on first down vs. vs. Buffalo dictates get as far straight ahead and get down.  Agree with the snap bobble, but I think Allen had control and could throw it OB or spike it still.....  More bad luck overall.

But stop trying to blame anyone but the coaching vs. KC.    

You cant spike a bobbled snap.  He would have gotten hit with intentional grounding.  As for the KC game, I agree that is on coaching.  Even if the player screwed up its on coaching IMO.  They used two time outs.  Get your players settled and into position.  Make sure their mindset is right and not already in victory mode.

Edited by Scott7975

On 10/7/2022 at 5:28 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Cherry picking is my favourite thing to do.....  

Yes a great play and a great call.....  All this after Baltimore marched 95 yards and converted two third and long plays.  There are so many plays in a game that can be singled out.   

Thankfully Lamar missed open receivers on third & fourth down or this play would have been forgotten.

Important play at an important time.      

Man, you've gotta be absolutely miserable to be around in person.

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good advice.

Any time it is brought up and the coaches are defended over 13 seconds (particularly McD) it needs a response. The coaches and calls were atrocious. This is something that has never happened before yet many here love to slough it off and absolve McD.  Since I had not been on the site since February I did not realise that 13 seconds now is Wallace's fault.😉

Edited by Billsfan1972

55 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Any time it is brought up and the coaches are defended over 13 seconds (particularly McD) it needs a response. The coaches and calls were atrocious. This is something that has never happened before yet many here love to slough it off and absolve McD.  Since I had not been on the site since February I did not realise that 13 seconds now is Wallace's fault.😉

What should have happened in the aftermath of 13 seconds? I'm sure you'll say "I want them held accountable." What does that look like? Tell us all the exact moves. Who gets fired? Who replaces them (names please)? How many years of dead cap hell do we have to endure this time before getting the proper pieces in place for this new coaching staff's systems? How many years do we then allow for that system to take hold before evaluating its success or failure? It's easy as a fan to call for the coach's head on a platter, but the steps following that move can set a franchise back years.

34 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

What should have happened in the aftermath of 13 seconds? I'm sure you'll say "I want them held accountable." What does that look like? Tell us all the exact moves. Who gets fired? Who replaces them (names please)? How many years of dead cap hell do we have to endure this time before getting the proper pieces in place for this new coaching staff's systems? How many years do we then allow for that system to take hold before evaluating its success or failure? It's easy as a fan to call for the coach's head on a platter, but the steps following that move can set a franchise back years.

Why are you quoting me?  I asked for no heads on a platter or have in any of these threads.  I just simply said the coaches blew it in a # of ways and please quit (some people here) absolving them.  Mahomes did not make great passes or calls.  They were as simple plays as any qb could have.  And let's not forget about the kickoff too.

Yes I was apoplectic about how the coaches botched those 13 seconds and any time there someone tries to defend it I get my back up.  It was indefensible. 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:24 AM, eball said:

I love this stuff.  We’ve talked in here about the great 2nd down play at the goal line by the Bills’ D last week, when Milano hit Dobbins for a 3 yard loss.  Here’s the scoop from Bryant, who really made the play happen:

————

Inside Bryant’s great play

Bills defensive tackle Brandin Bryant made the unsung play of the day in Baltimore when he made a quick swim move around tackle Morgan Moses and then blew up fullback Patrick Ricard on the second-and-goal play with 5:41 left. Matt Milano made the tackle for a 3-yard loss. It was great execution by a backup role player and another example of the Bills’ good defensive coaching, with coordinator Leslie Frazier making the call. The Bills were in a goal-line front, with six defensive linemen, three linebackers and two safeties on the field.

“I wasn’t out there free-styling,” Bryant said. “That was a designed play. It was a great call by coach Frazier, and that was my assignment to go from B gap to C gap. That’s what I did. I did what I was coached to do, and it worked out.”

The B gap is between the guard and tackle. The C gap is between the tackle and the tight end. Bryant figured that the Ravens’ line would fire of the ball. “That’s a pretty aggressive team,” he said. “Just like any other team in that situation, they’re going to come off the ball and give it all they got, try to knock you 2 yards back into the end zone.” And Bryant anticipated the 305-pound Ricard pulling in his direction.

“I actually did see him coming,” Bryant said. “We went over that exact same play probably four times last week in practice. It worked out.”

————-

I continue to roll my eyes at anyone who claims the Bills aren’t one of the best coached and best prepared teams in the league.

I mean, that’s kind of baseline. It’s like pointing at a draft pick panning out and saying a team has a great scouting department. 

that said, the team seems to often do it well but also has some real head scratchers that slip in. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.