How in the world do you stop this offense?

JerseyBills

Just now, Monty98 said:

I still think the most effective way to stop Allen is sit in cover 3 shells or combo coverage. Teams with athletic MLB can cause problems, if you have an athletic spy and play the lane game in pass rush you almost force Allen to run towards the middle of the field. I don't think you can effectively beat the offense, but making everything a play in front of you defense would "slow it down". As Allen's become more willing to check down and take what's given to him it's still going to be pick your poison death by a thousand cuts or try to blitz and hope you're not beat over the top once he gets away from the pressure.

The Rams did this most of the night, but as soon as they tried even one play where they didn't do this, Allen hit Davis deep.

32 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Did I say anywhere Josh wasn't dealing? I simply stated it was 10 -10 at halftime, if you are an opposing team, that's where you want to be if you have any shot at beating the Bills. 

Wasn't attacking you, Wayne.  Just clarifying that the Bills were really responsible for that 10-10 tie (i.e., not being ahead).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

The Rams did this most of the night, but as soon as they tried even one play where they didn't do this, Allen hit Davis deep.

I get that, that's why I said most effective way. I don't think there's much to do to slow them down, but if you can try to at least limit the big plays you probably stand a chance to stay in the game. I'm intrigued to see how we do against Baltimore's secondary, might be the best secondary we face all year, Green Bay has a decent one too. So far we've faced Ramsay, no one of note in Tennessee (maybe Byard), so...Miami has Howard and Holland has played well at S for them too. 

38 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Did I say anywhere Josh wasn't dealing? I simply stated it was 10 -10 at halftime, if you are an opposing team, that's where you want to be if you have any shot at beating the Bills. 

Bills seemingly dominate first halves but don't put up the points, but then bust open the floodgates in the second half.  And the defense still has not allowed a single second half point yet this year. If that continues, the Fins are as good as dead.

4 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

I get that, that's why I said most effective way. I don't think there's much to do to slow them down, but if you can try to at least limit the big plays you probably stand a chance to stay in the game. I'm intrigued to see how we do against Baltimore's secondary, might be the best secondary we face all year, Green Bay has a decent one too. So far we've faced Ramsay, no one of note in Tennessee (maybe Byard), so...Miami has Howard and Holland has played well at S for them too. 

Huh?  Did you watch them against Miami? They were dreadful. They also finished 32nd ranked(aka Dead Last) against the pass last year.  I get everyone wants to remember what they were doing 3 years ago, but I'm actually looking at what they have done lately and it isn't much.

They may be one of the WORST secondaries we face all year.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills seemingly dominate first halves but don't put up the points, but then bust open the floodgates in the second half.  And the defense still has not allowed a single second half point yet this year. If that continues, the Fins are as good as dead.

Huh?  Did you watch them against Miami? They were dreadful. They also finished 32nd ranked against the pass last year.  I get everyone wants to live off what they were doing 3 years ago, but I'm actually looking at what they have done lately and it isn't much.

It's easy to say hey they let Hill and Waddle eat, but talent wise Peters and Humphrey are very good. Marcus Williams is balling back there too. Kyle Hamilton is a rook, but he's got talent. Also last year means nothing to me defensively, the amount of games lost to their DBs last year was insane. I believe they were down both Peters and Humphrey for a considerable amount of time.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Was it last year the Bills had a tough go in the 1st and 3rd quarters, then would come live in the 4th? They seem to be doing really well adjusting at halftime this season, obviously still very early.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Make the Bills run the ball.  Easier said than done but they haven't proven they can switch up and run the ball consistently.  

They pretty much abandoned it against the Titans because the pass game was clicking....but I would be concerned if a D-Coord actually finds a way to take away the passing attack. Does anyone feel comfortable that the Bills can ground and pound it for a win?

But can a defense take away the deep/intermediate passes and the short passes at the same time? It’s very hard to do both of those, it’s generally one or the other or man coverage. 

That’s the thing, we don’t need to rely on the run when Josh is doing so well at the short passing game. We can mix the run in here and there regardless of how to D is defending our passing attack. That’s why we are so deadly to start the season. 

9 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Baltimore has had some injuries to their secondary, I believe one db was injured during the Dolphins game. Either way, their secondary got torched by the Dolphins stemming from miscommunications. I don’t think we have to worry about Baltimore’s secondary. 

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Was it last year the Bills had a tough go in the 1st and 3rd quarters, then would come live in the 4th? They seem to be doing really well adjusting at halftime this season, obviously still very early.

I believe the Bills were either #1 or #2 in both points scored in the first half and points allowed in the first half...They had some long streak of like 10 games in a row where they led at halftime which I believe was broke by the Jags if I am not mistaken. I remember last year the first drive of the 3rd quarter when we go the kickoff was often problematic and we would go 3 and out at a much higher rate than normal. Super frustrating because we had the chance to come out and bury teams a lot of times and instead gave them the ball back.

9 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

It's easy to say hey they let Hill and Waddle eat, but talent wise Peters and Humphrey are very good. Marcus Williams is balling back there too. Kyle Hamilton is a rook, but he's got talent. Also last year means nothing to me defensively, the amount of games lost to their DBs last year was insane. I believe they were down both Peters and Humphrey for a considerable amount of time.

You mean like the Bills being without Tre, moving on from longtime #2 CB Levi Wallace, being down #2 CB Dane Jackson for much of last game, playing 2 rookies at CB and still limiting Tennessee to 117 yards passing? Or how in the 7 games the Bills have played without Tre they have allowed 30 yards a game less passing, a lower completion rate and a lower QB Rating than they did with him? 

Your players gotta step in and make plays, no excuses.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Think about how it feels when we play the Chiefs and Mahomes runs around in circles for 5 minutes and then finds Kelce.....I think that is what it is like to be on the other side.   I know that was not the exact question.  But the answer is true for all great passing offenses ever...get pressure on the QB, affect him.....

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No they didn't, the Bills were moving the ball at will. The only problem was turnovers. If not for that it would have been 50-10

Same as any offense with a truly great HOF-level quarterback.   You have to get pressure with your front four - particularly on the interior; you have to hold up in coverage and keep everything in front of your for pretty much the entire game; AND you have to hope you catch said QB on one of his rare bad days.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

GB probably has the best combination of defensive talent and scheme to stop Allen & Co. Not sure if they have the offensive weapons to compete for the whole game though. They’d have to have a very dominant day running the ball and winning TOP on top of one of those young receivers having the light go on. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TBBills said:

No they didn't, the Bills were moving the ball at will. The only problem was turnovers. If not for that it would have been 50-10

What are you talking about?  I'm referring to the Rams playing 2 high and forcing the Bills to be patient and throw short.  They most certainly DID do that for most of the first half.  It didn't work, Allen picked them apart.  Ramsey even admitted after the game they didn't think Allen would remain patient and thought he would try to get greedy. He didn't.  Once the Rams realized they were going to have to try something else to stop them, Allen hit Davis deep on the very first play they didn't play 2 high.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Eyeroll 1

I heard the Bills defense got the better of the Bills offense far more days in camp and that the main reason was that the DL was whooping the OL and not giving Allen enough time to cook. That’s how you beat the Bills offense, you have to dominate their OL. Easier said than done though, most teams aren’t super deep in the trenches.

Oh and also hope Allen has an off day.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hypothetically,  if you were a fan of another team, going against our boys, what in the world do you do on defense to stop the Bills?

I mean they were tough last year but wow , they are operating on a different level. 

We can go 5 wide to a heavy set in a matter of a play and destroy you. With a running game that's effective as well.

Man/zone, a spy, it doesn't Matter..

A DCs worse nightmare. 

Just curious about some opinions on What would we be saying in the lead up to a game against Allen and this O? Because I have none.  I have no clue how you stop this O, or slow them down for lack of a better term.

Go Bills!

2 man - force us to run the football.

Try to keep the offense off the field.

Only way I see how teams can do that on our D would be ball-control approach focusing on excellent pass blocking and quick accurate throws to explosive receivers that might break some long. Some runs mixed it to keep us honest and basically no mistakes.

Miami has some of those components but lacks good o-line play and Tua screws up.

Kansas City still looks like our biggest challenger.

3 minutes ago, Norwoods Foot said:

And yes, as JayBaller10 says above, totally dominating our o-line.

Edited by Norwoods Foot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.