Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, SRQ_BillsFan said:

If he signs the tag he can be traded. If he does not sign he can not be. That is my understanding. 

Correct. Assuming the Ravens use the exclusive rights franchise tag they could give Lamar permission to investigate contract offers with other teams. Obviously they don’t have to do that, but at this point they probably would. The Ravens would negotiate trade compensation with those other teams. Once all that got worked out, the Ravens would sign and immediately trade him to that team. 

The other path is the Ravens using the tag and making Lamar play for them. Lamar would eventually have to sign it, but could wait until just prior to the first game or even into the season before doing so. Threatening to do this is how he can try to force a trade. 

48 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Correct. Assuming the Ravens use the exclusive rights franchise tag they could give Lamar permission to investigate contract offers with other teams. Obviously they don’t have to do that, but at this point they probably would. The Ravens would negotiate trade compensation with those other teams. Once all that got worked out, the Ravens would sign and immediately trade him to that team. 

The other path is the Ravens using the tag and making Lamar play for them. Lamar would eventually have to sign it, but could wait until just prior to the first game or even into the season before doing so. Threatening to do this is how he can try to force a trade. 

Non-exclusive tag.  Exclusive tag means no one else can offer him contracts.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Non-exclusive tag.  Exclusive tag means no one else can offer him contracts.

No, I think the use of the non-exclusive franchise tag is much less likely. The non-exclusive tag would allow him to negotiate with other teams and sign a contract with one. The Ravens would have the opportunity to match it and retain him - or they’d get two first round draft picks as compensation. That would take negotiating power for trade compensation out of the Raven’s hands. I don’t think they’ll do that.

The exclusive rights franchise tag means that he can’t negotiate with other teams without the Ravens permission. They will want that control. 

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No, I think the use of the non-exclusive franchise tag is much less likely. The non-exclusive tag would allow him to negotiate with other teams and sign a contract with one. The Ravens would have the opportunity to match it and retain him - or they’d get two first round draft picks as compensation. That would take negotiating power for trade compensation out of the Raven’s hands. I don’t think they’ll do that.

The exclusive rights franchise tag means that he can’t negotiate with other teams without the Ravens permission. They will want that control. 

Unless they're looking for more than 2-1st rounders, I don't see the need to increase the salary he'd get.  I'd be surprised if any team gives them even that, given he wants $50M/year guaranteed.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They win that game last night if Lamar is the QB. 

WHY did they lose?

1. Lack of offensive talent at skill positions

2. Too much of a reliance on runs to move the ball to compensate! 35 rushing attempts, 29 passing attempts

Lamar Jackson being in there would have just given them a more dynamic running game and that's it. As I SAID, the Ravens staff has let down this team by not taking care of Lamar and surrounding him with talent to succeed on offense. Chickens coming home to roost...

4 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

WHY did they lose?

2. Too much of a reliance on runs to move the ball to compensate! 35 rushing attempts, 29 passing attempts

Lamar Jackson being in there would have just given them a more dynamic running game and that's it. As I SAID, the Ravens staff has let down this team by not taking care of Lamar and surrounding him with talent to succeed on offense. Chickens coming home to roost...

And him being a better passer than Huntley. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

WHY did they lose?

They lost because Tyler Huntley fumbled on the 1 yard line….

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unless they're looking for more than 2-1st rounders, I don't see the need to increase the salary he'd get.  I'd be surprised if any team gives them even that, given he wants $50M/year guaranteed.

Watson got his huge, fully guaranteed contract and netted Houston 3 first round picks plus a bunch of other picks. Lamar will get them more than 2 firsts. They will get a say in exactly what the compensation is plus a say in where he will go. Sending him to the NFC is certainly preferable to an AFC team. There is no downside to them using the exclusive tag. I can’t even remember the last time a team used the non-exclusive one. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And him being a better passer than Huntley. 

So you missed what I said... their lack of offensive skill players and Greg Roman's game plans HURT Lamar. They leave him open to far too many hits and bad plays... you have to have guys out there he can throw to first, like the year Josh had with guys like Benjamin, Clay and Foster.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So you missed what I said... their lack of offensive skill players and Greg Roman's game plans HURT Lamar. They leave him open to far too many hits and bad plays... you have to have guys out there he can throw to first, like the year Josh had with guys like Benjamin, Clay and Foster.

On the offensive talent, I agree. On the offensive scheme, I strongly disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They win that game last night if Lamar is the QB. 

The first play that comes to mind is Huntley’s 35 yard run with the game tied at 17-17. He fumbles shortly after on the QB sneak, while Lamar most likely scores on that long run, rather than being stopped just short of the goal line. It’s random, but I instantly thought of Lamar on that play. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The first play that comes to mind is Huntley’s 35 yard run with the game tied at 17-17. He fumbles shortly after on the QB sneak, while Lamar most likely scores on that long run, rather than being stopped just short of the goal line. It’s random, but I instantly thought of Lamar on that play. 

Logan Wilson caught Huntley a bunch of times that he would not have caught Lamar.

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They lost because Tyler Huntley fumbled on the 1 yard line….

You don't know that... if he doesn't fumble, who is to say they don't go for it or just kick a field goal and then Burrow does his thing and scores the GW TD?

I say they lost because all they had was runs and Mark Andrews as a legit target.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On the offensive talent, I agree. On the offensive scheme, I strongly disagree. 

That's fair... as I said before the game, it's all moot now. Lamar is not going to play a down in a Ravens uni ever again. I am very interested to see what the Ravens do now.

21 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You don't know that... if he doesn't fumble, who is to say they don't go for it or just kick a field goal and then Burrow does his thing and scores the GW TD?

I say they lost because all they had was runs and Mark Andrews as a legit target.

That's fair... as I said before the game, it's all moot now. Lamar is not going to play a down in a Ravens uni ever again. I am very interested to see what the Ravens do now.

They had a 70 yard TD to Demarcus Robinson.

I understand your pregame take must be supported.  But when a team is in a tie game, on the one yard line, and they turn it over for a 14 point swing, that's usually a big deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They had a 70 yard TD to Demarcus Robinson.

I understand your pregame take must be supported.  But when a team is in a tie game, on the one yard line, and they turn it over for a 14 point swing, that's usually a big deal.

Ohh no, I agree that it is a big deal, but it must also be taken into account that Joe Cool was on the other side and only guys like Joe or Josh or Pat can turn a game like that into a win if it goes the other way against them.

52 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s assuming his knees held up for an entire game. Jackson style is goi g make Gina flash in the pan QB .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.