Last night was a dominant win. But there was one obvious weak link holding us back... Zach Moss (lead the team in touches)

BFLO

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Absolutely agree. I was saying this at the start of the 3rd quarter: Why is Moss getting touches between the 20s? It should be Singletary and no one else. Singletary has shown time and again that he should be the lead back, but for some strange reason they keep going to Moss and they don't let their best back get into a rhythm. Singletary is by far their best back. It's so ***** weird.

My guess is it was like 90 degrees in the dome and they had a plan to rotate heavily.  

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Moss fumbled at the end of the game. My guess he’ll be inactive next week after this performance. 

I still believe they want to trade Moss. It’s my only guess as to why they were showcasing him. Singletary was feeling it also.

The fumble could be a blessing in disguise.

Sometimes McDermott needs to be saved from himself.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

More than 1 RAC where Moss picked up a decent gain.  Go back and look.

You're right about the fumble though.  You could tell from McDermott's presser that he agrees and Moss is gonna be in the dog-house for that one.

Then you're mistaken.

Motor was getting the majority of the carries as an RB.  

Decent gain?? 8 yards?? 

Moss had a long gain of 8 yards receiving. And a long of 8 yards in the run game. 

6 rush for 15 yards. Long of 8. Pitiful

Take out the long:

5 rush 7 yds or 1.4yards/rush avg. Pitiful.  

6 catches for 21 yards. Long of 8. Pitiful

Take out the long

5 for 13yds, 2.6yards/catch avg. Again, it's pitiful. 

Motor got 8 Rush attempts to Moss's 6. 

Motor 2 pass attempts to Moss's 6. 

Motor got 10 touches to Moss's 12. 

Motor put up 62 yards to Moss's 36. 

6.2 yards per touch to 3 yards per touch. 

If you want to beat the Bills, leave the check-down to Moss open all game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

My guess is it was like 90 degrees in the dome and they had a plan to rotate heavily.  

I don't agree. These guys are world class athletes. It was warm on the field, but it's not like it was 90 degrees under a blazing sun. That wasn't an issue.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree. These guys are world class athletes. It was warm on the field, but it's not like it was 90 degrees under a blazing sun. That wasn't an issue.

I don't know enough about how an NFL team runs - but Moss could have had a good week of practice.  Maybe Motor got dinged a little.  Everything everyone says is pure speculation. 

I do believe that buffalo doesn't want Motor cracking like 250 touches though.  Too many guys missing too much time, along with general wear and tear that can sap some of that effectiveness in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting that the Bills offense - against the defending Super Bowl Champions - moved the ball at will, scoring 31 points - even after turning the ball over four times.  Definitely a problem.

Cmon Gug. You can clearly see that Moss is a weak link on this team. 

besides, now that Bease, Hughes, and Levi Wallace are gone we need a new whipping boy and Moss is the next man up. It’s also earned by him. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

besides, now that Bease, Hughes, and Levi Wallace are gone we need a new whipping boy and Moss is the next man up. It’s also earned by him. 

All I'm saying is that the offense worked last night and Moss was part of it.  If he's the weak link and we continue to move the ball like a hot knife through butter, then so be it.  The only bad thing he did last night was fumble.  Other than that, he gained yards every time he touched the ball.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BFLO said:

Decent gain?? 8 yards?? 

Moss had a long gain of 8 yards receiving. And a long of 8 yards in the run game. 

6 rush for 15 yards. Long of 8. Pitiful

Take out the long:

5 rush 7 yds or 1.4yards/rush avg. Pitiful.  

6 catches for 21 yards. Long of 8. Pitiful

Take out the long

5 for 13yds, 2.6yards/catch avg. Again, it's pitiful. 

Motor got 8 Rush attempts to Moss's 6. 

Motor 2 pass attempts to Moss's 6. 

Motor got 10 touches to Moss's 12. 

Motor put up 62 yards to Moss's 36. 

6.2 yards per touch to 3 yards per touch. 

If you want to beat the Bills, leave the check-down to Moss open all game. 

The Rams, in fact, didn't beat the Bills by leaving the checkdown to Moss open all game.  The Bills did not punt 1 time.  The only thing stopping the Bills offense last night was.....mistakes by the Bills offense. 

One of which, to be fair, was on Moss

The Steelers and Jags actually did beat the Bills by leaving the checkdown open all game - because Josh Allen refused to use it immediately, when the checkdown outlet has time and space to actually gain 6 or 8 yards, or at least make it back to the LOS

Do some math.  6 catches for 21 yds is 3.5 yds per reception.  That moves the chains.

I mean this in a kind way, but you really need to learn some football beyond looking at stats.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Weak link?  He fumbled sure.  So did Cook.  Allen also telegraphed a terrible INT, and mis-read a red zone possession resulting in a field goal.  

He also blocked, hit people, and caught every target (they were all check downs).

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't know enough about how an NFL team runs - but Moss could have had a good week of practice.  Maybe Motor got dinged a little.  Everything everyone says is pure speculation. 

Where is the speculation? They were rotating from the start and lasted into the 2nd half when Singletary was fine and clearly getting more out of his touches. There's no speculation. We watched it with our eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

The Rams, in fact, didn't beat the Bills by leaving the checkdown to Moss open all game.  The Bills did not punt 1 time.  The only thing stopping the Bills offense last night was.....mistakes by the Bills offense. 

One of which, to be fair, was on Moss

The Steelers and Jags actually did beat the Bills by leaving the checkdown open all game - because Josh Allen refused to use it immediately, when the checkdown outlet has time and space to actually gain 6 or 8 yards, or at least make it back to the LOS

Do some math.  6 catches for 21 yds is 3.5 yds per reception.  That moves the chains.

I mean this in a kind way, but you really need to learn some football beyond looking at stats.

On the INT he had time, and no one was there... except knox in the flats. 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Very true about the dump offs. But why is Moss getting nearly as many carries as Motor when Devin is averaging 6 yards per carry and running so hard?

Is Moss that much better at pass pro? Cause that's the only thing I can think of, other than Motor caught a slight injury. 

Just looping back to put this here. 

Motor deserves his "propers" in pass pro.  He has become a very good pass protector in the backfield.  Look at the way he handles this guy, LB Ernest Jones 6'2" 230 lbs.  Moss is no longer better there.  Motor has caught up and maybe passed him.

But even though he handles him long enough for Allen to make the throw, look how he ends the block, being thrown back off balance.

Chipping and releasing as an outlet is a different skillset than straight up blocking in the backfield.  If you let yourself get thrown off balance, then you're not where you need to be when you need to be to make that catch.  And that's where from what I've seen Moss is still better, and also still has better hands as an RB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

All I'm saying is that the offense worked last night and Moss was part of it.  If he's the weak link and we continue to move the ball like a hot knife through butter, then so be it.  The only bad thing he did last night was fumble.  Other than that, he gained yards every time he touched the ball.

Meh. I’d rather bash him because he’s not good. 

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Weak link?  He fumbled sure.  So did Cook.  Allen also telegraphed a terrible INT, and mis-read a red zone possession resulting in a field goal.  

He also blocked, hit people, and caught every target (they were all check downs).

Ugh. He’s just not good. He received more touches than any other Bill and was outperformed by almost everyone 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Moss was being asked to run through masses of defenders.  He dragged them along.  Averaged 3 yds per touch.  Mix in just one longer play and that moves the chains.  He "did his job".

We needed an RB who could chip effectively and block effectively last night.  Moss >> Cook at this point with that skill.

Cook's time will come.

I actually thought he did a pretty good job moving bodies and wearing them down last night.  will have to watch r3eeplay to see his blocking.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just looping back to put this here. 

Motor deserves his "propers" in pass pro.  He has become a very good pass protector in the backfield.  Look at the way he handles this guy, LB Ernest Jones 6'2" 230 lbs.  Moss is no longer better there.  Motor has caught up and maybe passed him.

But even though he handles him long enough for Allen to make the throw, look how he ends the block, being thrown back off balance.

Chipping and releasing as an outlet is a different skillset than straight up blocking in the backfield.  If you let yourself get thrown off balance, then you're not where you need to be when you need to be to make that catch.  And that's where from what I've seen Moss is still better, and also still has better hands as an RB.

Motor played 35/59 snaps to Moss 22/59 snaps.  Cook played 3/59.

Diggs played 38/59 snaps fwiw.  Moss, Gilliam, Crowder, Mckenzie all played in that 15-25 range.  Kumerow played 14 actually as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

putting Cook in doghouse and then Moss fumbling and not in dog house was annoying.  McD needs to stop with the meathead games of rookie fumbling equals doghouse.  

Otherwise, very happy with offensive play calling and overall game.  Really a small critique.  

Moss fumbled with 5 minutes left in the game.  The next time we had the ball we kneeled.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.