Got to California Today to Vacation a Bit Pre-Game

716er

it is going to be scorching hot for your stay if you venture down Los Angeles or south of that. Heat advisory from the coast all the way to the deserts in the 7 day forecast.  Cali is a beautiful state enjoy 🙂....I really hope it will be cooled down the for game

LOTS of choices of what to do here that is for sure.

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, muppy said:

it is going to be scorching hot for your stay if you venture down Los Angeles or south of that. Heat advisory from the coast all the way to the deserts in the 7 day forecast.  Cali is a beautiful state enjoy 🙂....I really hope it will be cooled down the for game

115 tomorrow in the desert and I’m lovin’ it!!  

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Carmel until Sunday then camping in Sequoia Kings until Wednesday when we’re driving down for the game 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 716er said:

In a brewery in Monterey Bay - Alvarado Street Brewery.

Dude with a Rams hat eating wings with fork and knife.

I don't know man.  I love my wings but hate the orange fingers after.  I have to find a restroom ASAP to hose my hands off.   It's gross.  

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't know man.  I love my wings but hate the orange fingers after.  I have to find a restroom ASAP to hose my hands off.   It's gross.  

You don't carry wetnaps in your man-purse?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 716er said:

Carmel until Sunday then camping in Sequoia Kings until Wednesday when we’re driving down for the game 

Carmel is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We were out to wine country a couple months ago and spent time in Healdsburg at the recommendation of locals (wife’s co-workers). Another fabulous spot! Highly recommend it! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

WTF. That's worse than those people who eat pizza with a fork and a knife.

Indeed. Took it as a great sign.

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

Carmel is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We were out to wine country a couple months ago and spent time in Healdsburg at the recommendation of locals (wife’s co-workers). Another fabulous spot! Highly recommend it! 

Heading to San Fran for a wedding in November. I will keep this in mind!

1 minute ago, 716er said:

Heading to San Fran for a wedding in November. I will keep this in mind!

We stayed at the Ritz at Half Moon Bay while the wife worked, then a couple more days there. When we got to Healdsburg I was wishing we had moved up sooner! It was super charming and it seemed every other door on the square was a great restaurant or tasting room. Did a wine tasting at Lambert Bridge winery just a few minutes outside of town. Had a couple cases sent home. Cheers!   :)  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I lived in Northern California for 13 years. My favorite spots in Wine Country is Calistoga, and Sonoma. Calistoga is a really small town but built on hot springs. Go to one of the hotels in town and soak in a hot spring pool/tub. (The hot tubs fit like 30 people). In Sonoma, lots of local shops, tasting rooms, restaurants, and the home to the Northern most Spanish Mission in California. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well you’re not a Bills fan so this doesn’t surprise me one bit.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I lived in Northern California for 13 years. My favorite spots in Wine Country is Calistoga, and Sonoma. Calistoga is a really small town but built on hot springs. Go to one of the hotels in town and soak in a hot spring pool/tub. (The hot tubs fit like 30 people). In Sonoma, lots of local shops, tasting rooms, restaurants, and the home to the Northern most Spanish Mission in California. 

We finished our trip years ago in Calistoga. Lovely! Home of Joe Montana I believe. We did the hot mud bath thing. Lordy! You get mud in every nook and cranny of your body! Once was enough.

I still remember my last meal of that trip. We had been eating and drinking our way around that part of the state for an extended trip. We would often fill up on wine and amazing breads before the meal came out (I’m not generally a big bread guy, but WOW!). It was hysterical seeing couples come in 20- 30 minutes behind us and do the same thing! This was decades ago and I still remember those Kansas City style ribs being placed in front of me on the last night….and I wanted to throw up. I might have had one bite. Time to go home! 

Did you ever go to Healdsburg? It’s nicer now than Calistoga or Sonoma were then. By far. Nothing is cheap out there, but the hotel on the square might have been the most expensive nights we’ve ever personally paid for in a hotel room. Well worth it! I’d go back tomorrow. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 716er said:

I saw “I don’t know man” as solidarity with the Rams fan. To each their own. 🍻 

Have either you or @Chef Jim been to Bohemian Grove? That was quite a trip! My wife’s coworker waited 14 years to get in, and we happened to be there for one of the few times a year women are allowed in. It’s like summer camp for gazillionaires and artists and musicians! Thousands of acres with over 100 “camps” (often with outbuildings for live bands and commercial kitchens - we had a sit down lunch for 40) deep in the redwoods. No phones and certainly no photos or your host gets in trouble. I was a 60’s hippie for a day. It was awesome! 

EDIT: My bad, meant to tag Chef Jim and @Draconator.  Opps! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 716er said:

I saw “I don’t know man” as solidarity with the Rams fan. To each their own. 🍻 

No it was understanding of the man's technique for eating wings.  His choice of team to support had nothing to do with it.  

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Have either you or @Chef Jim been to Bohemian Grove? That was quite a trip! My wife’s coworker waited 14 years to get in, and we happened to be there for one of the few times a year women are allowed in. It’s like summer camp for gazillionaires and artists and musicians! Thousands of acres with over 100 “camps” (often with outbuildings for live bands and commercial kitchens - we had a sit down lunch for 40) deep in the redwoods. No phones and certainly no photos or your host gets in trouble. I was a 60’s hippie for a day. It was awesome! 

Never been.  No wine good wine out there.  ;) 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Honestly I've never heard of it, but it sounds awesome!

22 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Honestly I've never heard of it, but it sounds awesome!

It’s flipping amazing! Over 100 “camps” with common areas and amphitheaters here and there. They have outdoor dining like Hogwarts with seating for 400 for breakfast. I’m not kidding. We had a terrific speaker before lunch, a fabulous sit down lunch for 40 at our little “camp” (with wine from my wife’s co-workers winery), then the big amphitheater for a show with 3 of the 4 main voices from a huge production (Phantom of the Opera?). We had to leave as the show amphitheater was filling up. Former Presidents and Kissinger belonged, along with guys like Jimmy Buffett.  They have improv comedy between tech talks and Broadway music.  🤷‍♂️

Quirky does not begin to describe it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Geez, I could have used this thread three weeks ago when I was staying in Fairfield.  My highlight was going to see the Jelly Belly factory. 

Some people plan their whole vacation around visiting said factory. 

33 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Some people plan their whole vacation around visiting said factory. 

For me it was "what's there to do here? Oh look, I'm less than 5 miles from the factory and they offer tours" type of thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Geez, I could have used this thread three weeks ago when I was staying in Fairfield.  My highlight was going to see the Jelly Belly factory. 

I did that and the Budweiser  brewery in the same day. Was done working out there early (like  1 PM) and they were on the way home. Jelly Belly was much better. They are maybe a half mile apart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.