Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

I understand that the team did what it felt was necessary, and I do hope that the truth is found and that justice gets done.

But I still can't help but wonder what it must be like for Araiza...especially if his only mistake was getting sexually involved with a 17 YO that may have been telling him and others there that she was 18.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud17 said:

He has a point. If that was your daughter, you would be upset with the Bills too.

why would you be upset? The bills spoke to the victims attorney. Unless the attorney left information out they looked into this and decided araiza was fine to play. He still might be innocent in this. What happens then?

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

why would you be upset? The bills spoke to the victims attorney. Unless the attorney left information out they looked into this and decided araiza was fine to play. He still might be innocent in this. What happens then?

Then he'll probably be picked up by a team and play as punter.

6 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

But I still can't help but wonder what it must be like for Araiza...especially if his only mistake was getting sexually involved with a 17 YO that may have been telling him and others there that she was 18.

If he’s not charged criminally (very hard to prove) then once this concludes someone will sign him, maybe even the Bills.

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He is on tape admitting to having sex with her 

This is what I don't get. Why did the lawsuit then quote the alleged victim ask him "Did we actually have sex?". The lawsuit doesn't actually quote Araiza directly in agreeing they did, even consenually. It's very odd phrasing.

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He is on tape admitting to having sex with her 

Given the minor is 17 it could very well carry probation and be a misdemeanor after a quick search of California’s laws. The gang rape will be very hard to prove because it’s he said versus she said.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

And if he had reason to believe she’s 18 it’s ok. Or if he had been in New York and 40 other states where consent is 17. 

Not sure it is. I remember in the Air Force them telling us you better make sure a girl is of age if you have her in the dorm, that was our responsibility to know. Still, it looks terrible him admitting that as she is saying she was raped. 

9 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I understand that the team did what it felt was necessary, and I do hope that the truth is found and that justice gets done.

He’s still way too close to this story to remain with the team.  If that is truly all he did then if he is eventually charged a jury will decide if ‘she told me she was 18’ is a reasonable defense in this case. Mistake of age appears to be a valid defense in California especially if the person involved is close to the age of consent and her diary says ‘I told him I went to grossmont’ which is both a high school and a college so that will likely be his defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

And from what the victims attorney has tweeted since he was cut, it appears he was using the Bills and Araiza. The victim deserves better and better representation.

It cast some doubt on how much involvement Araiza actually had or were he and the Bills just used for PR?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He’s still way too close to this story to remain with the team.  If that is truly all he did then if he is eventually charged a jury will decide if ‘she told me she was 18’ is a reasonable defense in this case. Mistake of age appears to be a valid defense in California especially if the person involved is close to the age of consent and her diary says ‘I told him I went to grossmont’ which is both a high school and a college so that will likely be his defense. 

When I was at UB I hooked up with a few Canisius girls.  I never asked if it was college or high school.

Edited by NyQuil
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

This is what I don't get. Why did the lawsuit then quote the alleged victim ask him "Did we actually have sex?". The lawsuit doesn't actually quote Araiza directly in agreeing they did, even consenually. It's very odd phrasing.

I think people are filling in the blanks on the phone call…the civil suit says ‘he told her she should get tested for an std’ as far as I know which in a legal sense isn’t really admitting to anything.  

• Agree 1