Close Encounters of the Music Kind

Chef Jim

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Geddy is a HUGE baseball fan, which makes him even more awesome.  Everything about the guy is just great.  This is an absolutely amazing experience!!!

Not only could he name every World Series winner from the early 1920's, but he knew the nicknames of each and every winning team. He is truly a walking baseball encyclopedia. 

Back in the late 80's me and a bud went to an electric Hot Tuna show at Jannus Landing in St. Pete. We got there a few hours early to take it all in and walked up the stairs to the bar... a big long one. There was One guy at the bar at that time and I said "look, that's Jack Cassady". We sat down next to him and ordered drinks and started just shooting the breeze... he was very nice. I didn't want to ask him for an auto but at one point my bud just said "hey, he's a big JA fan, can you sign something for him"? Jack laughed and said sure... so I have a cocktail napkin with Jacks signature with my name spelled wrong lol and a great memory. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, muppy said:

as soon as I read Bonnie Raitt my heart froze.  I have never had personal contact with her. The closest i came was in Denver CO. She was playing a gig in of all places downtown Denver for a street music festival. It was the end of her set and the crowd had thinned down quite a bit. I was center in front of her dancing In my absolute Glory. I LOVE HER I love everything about her. I have been a fan of hers since the 70's. And have seen her the most times of any artist Period. Which says a Lot.

I have to google and see if she has a biography or documentary about she and her life. Having that happenstance convo with Ian McLagan was a welcome respite from touring and being on the road away from home and friends for him too. Good eye for Ian there that sounds like it was an awesome experience 🙂

I didn't get to talk to Bonnie Raitt when she was there but everyone who did said she was really nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:46 PM, Bad Things said:

I once pissed in a urinal next to Eddie Money.

Top that!

2000, Long Lake, New York general store... Checked out right behind Bruce Willis, his daughters and nanny... Strange,  they were buying a crap load of bottled water... 

Anyway... He's into music too:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Draconator said:

Not only could he name every World Series winner from the early 1920's, but he knew the nicknames of each and every winning team. He is truly a walking baseball encyclopedia. 

This is my favorite Geddy baseball story. Awesome. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I didn't get to talk to Bonnie Raitt when she was there but everyone who did said she was really nice. 

Bonnie (knowledge from as many times as Ive seen her) is a ballsy chick. What I mean by that is if she is heckled by a jerk in the audience she will give it right back and put that jerk in his place.  I could go on and on she's my gurl LOL. She has been playing music professionally most of her life.  Her career had some ups and downs along the way.  All the lows in the past I hope.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Draconator said:

There was one baseball aspect Geddy did get wrong. That year A-Rod was a free agent leaving Seattle. I asked Geddy where he thought A-Rod would sign, and he thought he would sign with the Dodgers. 

That's an odd one, for sure.  Most speculated Boston, which nearly happened.  Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part because he didn't want Rodriguez in the AL East/against the Blue Jays.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not really all that interested in celebrity stuff, so have never bothered to get an autograph or anything. But while working at WCVB in Boston (Needham, actually) the great guitarist Larry Carlton was there and on our local morning show. I noticed him playing on the TV in my office, so walked down the hall. When he came out of the studio I said, "Just wanted to say I'm a big fan. Thanks for all the music."  He said Thanks and shook my hand.

One other time at the Tralf the David Grisman Quartet (maybe Quintet) played two shows. After the first show my buddy and I stopped at the bar and two of the band members (I won't mention their names) came to the bar and noticed we were a bit ***** up. Conversation revealed we had consumed some mushrooms during the show. So we slipped the guys a few shrooms before we left. They were very happy.  I never heard how the second show went.

I was with a group of buddies walking down the street, heading to the "Hard Rock Cafe" in London, 1988.

As we got close to the entrance, a limousine pulled up, and the 3 band members from ZZ TOP got out, and headed into the Hard Rock Cafe.

My buddy Joe looked at Billy Gibbons, and said "Hey Billy!"  and he said "Hey guys" with a smile and seemed like a nice guy.  No security or other people with the 3 guys.

They went into the cafe ahead of us and were there for some sort of "appearance".

I think that's the only time I've come in contact with a famous rock musician.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, Draconator said:

There was one baseball aspect Geddy did get wrong. That year A-Rod was a free agent leaving Seattle. I asked Geddy where he thought A-Rod would sign, and he thought he would sign with the Dodgers. 

I didn't know Geddy was a huge baseball fan.  Interesting story about him donating the balls to the ***** League museum.

I have a colleague at work who I've known for a good 20 years now; her grandfather had a long career in the ***** Leagues.  Was probably a heck of a ball player.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My only other two musical encounters happened on the same day back in 1987.

There was some sort of music convention in Albany that had representatives for all of the major brands.

My buddy and I (we in high school at the time) drove down because to of the reps were Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy, Whitesnake) representing Yamaha drums and Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) representing Hamer guitars.

I met Rick Nielsen first.  I was a HUGE Cheap Trick fan at the time, so I was stoked.  I went up to him and said hello.  He said, "yo!"  Told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign a piece of paper, he responded, "yo!"  Told him thank you and it was great to meet him, he responded, "yo!"  I walked away, found the nearest garbage can and threw his autograph away.  Supreme douchebag. 

Later that day, we got to meet Tommy Aldridge.  He was happy to sign autographs for people.  Actually SPOKE to every single person individually, including thanking each person for coming.  Such a different experience.  He signed the hat I was wearing, which I no longer have.  After his little meet and greet, he got on a set of Yamahas and put on a nice little show.  After his solo, he took questions from anyone who wanted to ask.  He graciously answered questions about Randy Rhoades, Ozzy, even Neil Peart!!  Couldn't have been a cooler dude.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My only other two musical encounters happened on the same day back in 1987.

There was some sort of music convention in Albany that had representatives for all of the major brands.

My buddy and I (we in high school at the time) drove down because to of the reps were Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy, Whitesnake) representing Yamaha drums and Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) representing Hamer guitars.

I met Rick Nielsen first.  I was a HUGE Cheap Trick fan at the time, so I was stoked.  I went up to him and said hello.  He said, "yo!"  Told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign a piece of paper, he responded, "yo!"  Told him thank you and it was great to meet him, he responded, "yo!"  I walked away, found the nearest garbage can and threw his autograph away.  Supreme douchebag. 

Later that day, we got to meet Tommy Aldridge.  He was happy to sign autographs for people.  Actually SPOKE to every single person individually, including thanking each person for coming.  Such a different experience.  He signed the hat I was wearing, which I no longer have.  After his little meet and greet, he got on a set of Yamahas and put on a nice little show.  After his solo, he took questions from anyone who wanted to ask.  He graciously answered questions about Randy Rhoades, Ozzy, even Neil Peart!!  Couldn't have been a cooler dude.

I have a buddy who is seriously into his music. He’s got a music studio in his basement with mixing gear, a couple dozen guitars, a grand piano, etc. 

A couple decades ago my wife became friends with the lead singer for a big time band (I saw not one but TWO of the shirts at the grocery store today).  We got into trading dinner parties at each other’s houses since it’s very difficult for them to go out in public. They would invite all these musicians and I had no idea who they were. It was very cool, and often some live music would break out, which was AWESOME! 

My buddy BEGGED me to get invited into this circle. This is decades ago and just recently he shared the names of some people who would attend these dinners with another music buff. I suppose he got them right, but it meant nothing to me. When he brought it up 20 years later I told him “and THAT is why you could never come!”  We were mostly accepted because we didn’t go all crazy over them. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have a buddy who is seriously into his music. He’s got a music studio in his basement with mixing gear, a couple dozen guitars, a grand piano, etc. 

A couple decades ago my wife became friends with the lead singer for a big time band (I saw not one but TWO of the shirts at the grocery store today).  We got into trading dinner parties at each other’s houses since it’s very difficult for them to go out in public. They would invite all these musicians and I had no idea who they were. It was very cool, and often some live music would break out, which was AWESOME! 

My buddy BEGGED me to get invited into this circle. This is decades ago and just recently he shared the names of some people who would attend these dinners with another music buff. I suppose he got them right, but it meant nothing to me. When he brought it up 20 years later I told him “and THAT is why you could never come!”  We were mostly accepted because we didn’t go all crazy over them. 

I remember you telling me about your friendship with this lead singer (I won't mention the name).  Coincidentally, I actually thought about that story over this past weekend while we were boating on Lake George and looking at the million dollar homes!  

My very first encounter with a celebrity happened in Batavia in 1977. I was the coat check girl at  a rock venue called "The Primitive scene" I met Billy Sheehan the bass player there in the owners office. The one funny one was I met Jerry Lewis' son Gary Lewis. He hit on me, he was rebuked. Then he asked if I knew where he could buy some weed. I didn't know this guy from Adam so I told him No. He invited me back to his holiday inn hotel. I rebuked him Again.

Gary Lewis and the Playboys indeed.

• Haha (+1) 1

In 1980 or so I was spending my Saturday night where I normally did, at the Continental Club down on Franklin Street in downtown Buffalo listening to some local punk band. The place was packed and it was hot and very loud. Sometime after midnight I look to my right and there was a short-ish guy with spiky blond hair standing next to me. I was pretty wasted by that time but managed to tell him "ya know, you look a lot like Billy Idol". Without missing a beat he replies "I am Billy Idol ya f**kin' idiot". Turns out they were turned back at the border on there way to Toronto so they decided to hit up the club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, muppy said:

My very first encounter with a celebrity happened in Batavia in 1977. I was the coat check girl at  a rock venue called "The Primitive scene" I met Billy Sheehan the bass player there in the owners office. The one funny one was I met Jerry Lewis' son Gary Lewis. He hit on me, he was rebuked. Then he asked if I knew where he could buy some weed. I didn't know this guy from Adam so I told him No. He invited me back to his holiday inn hotel. I rebuked him Again.

Here they go and put it right in their band name, trying to be completely transparent and this is the response they get.  

Batavia Girl 1977: What do you guys like to do when you’re not playing?

GL:  We’re playboys, we like to score chicks. 
BG 1977: No, seriously, do you like to talk about your feelings? 
GL:  We feel like we want to score chicks. We’re playboys. 
BG 1977:  But isn’t there more to life, settling down, sunsets and love?
GL:  Probably, but for now, it’s pretty much about the chicks. 

I respect the hell out of the bravery it took to be so honest.  

• Like (+1) 1

lol yeah well I don't blame him for trying leo.  ***failure gong*** poor Gary. Another one bites the dust. You'd have thought he'd have gotten it after the first rebuke.

Thinking with the wrong head INDEED. this was their BIG Hit . Yep that's him.  Oh  GARY come HITHER...said muppy NEVER haha-m

15 hours ago, muppy said:

This is why Jerry left him out of his will. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.