Roe vs Wade Overturned

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

What lawmaker, elected official or party leader is advocating for post-birth abortions? Is there proposed legislation on this?

I don't doubt there are some nuts out there that want something like this, but I am skeptical that is a belief with enough support to be put into law.

No, there is no legislation on it but it comes up once in a while among the pro abortion people.  You have crazy people on both sides of this issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

No, there is no legislation on it but it comes up once in a while among the pro abortion people.  You have crazy people on both sides of this issue. 

I agree that there are crazies on all sides of all issues, however, comparing what some random loons say to a statement by the author of model legislation that had enough support to be passed into law by a legislative body seems like a false equivalence.

21 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

What lawmaker, elected official or party leader is advocating for post-birth abortions? Is there proposed legislation on this?

I don't doubt there are some nuts out there that want something like this, but I am skeptical that is a belief with enough support to be put into law.

So what's the age limit proposal from these loons on this post birth abortion concept?  Maybe 18 years old?  Because on the surface the entire idea sounds a lot like plain old homicide to me.  On another note, if your kids don't turn out to be like you expected then at least you have another potential option!  🙄 

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

So what's the age limit proposal from these loons on this post birth abortion concept?  Maybe 18 years old?  Because on the surface the entire idea sounds a lot like plain old homicide to me.  On another note, if your kids don't turn out to be like you expected then at least you have another potential option!  🙄 

No idea. I’m not aware of this movement, their guidelines or proposed legislation.

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

No idea. I’m not aware of this movement, their guidelines or proposed legislation.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but assuming the Chi stand for Chicago, then I'm also assuming you're involved in crafting legislation in Illinois, or lobbying your legislators?  Not sure what all the rest of this Message Board chatter is about. Get to work! 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You can roll your eyes all you want, but assuming the Chi stand for Chicago, then I'm also assuming you're involved in crafting legislation in Illinois, or lobbying your legislators?  Not sure what all the rest of this Message Board chatter is about. Get to work! 

I was referring to the claim that there are people pushing to allow for killing babies after they are born. I do not know who is proposing that, nor would I support anyone who did.

As to your point, I do live in Chicago but I have no hand in crafting laws in Illinois. Nor do I need to lobby on this issue since Illinois has a forward-thinking government that codified these rights prior to Dobbs, (since the writing was on the wall once Barrett was appointed). 

I do, however, have monthly donations to several senate candidates, as well as a fund to help people in less fortunate states access the care they need.

Unfortunately, as we can see, that is not enough to prevent people from suffering due to Dobbs. I can pretend that "trusting the process" will fix all of this eventually, but I can also wish that the Patriots would be sold and moved out of New England. Doesn't mean a whole lot nor does it help anyone.

• Eyeroll 1

Well, the Dems who refuse to define "woman" have just met their match:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/catherine-glenn-foster-abortion-eric-swalwell-b2123411.html

Sometimes you read these headlines and you think, "all right, I'm sure she didn't really say that." But yes, she did. 

She really said that if a 10 year old deliberately terminates her pregnancy, that wouldn't be an "abortion."

7 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I was referring to the claim that there are people pushing to allow for killing babies after they are born. I do not know who is proposing that, nor would I support anyone who did.

As to your point, I do live in Chicago but I have no hand in crafting laws in Illinois. Nor do I need to lobby on this issue since Illinois has a forward-thinking government that codified these rights prior to Dobbs, (since the writing was on the wall once Barrett was appointed). 

I do, however, have monthly donations to several senate candidates, as well as a fund to help people in less fortunate states access the care they need.

Unfortunately, as we can see, that is not enough to prevent people from suffering due to Dobbs. I can pretend that "trusting the process" will fix all of this eventually, but I can also wish that the Patriots would be sold and moved out of New England. Doesn't mean a whole lot nor does it help anyone.

So in your world view you believe that ‘trusting the process’ means you get exactly what YOU want? I’d call myself pro-life and I believe everyone should be, but ‘trusting the process’ to me means that the issue/policy now rests in the hands of the people (through their elected representatives) and knowing that I may not get the legislative outcome I hope for. So…I guess we differ there. 

By the way….ILL…INI! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

So all is hunky dory in Illinois ; due at least in part to their exceptionally forward thinking government. You don’t seem like you’re fixin’ to move to Kansas anytime soon. So what’s the problem? A polarizing issue has been left to the people (i.e the states ) to decide. This is our system of government as designed by the founders of our great Nation. What is acceptable behavior in Illinois may not be in Missouri. Our Democratic Republic allows for this. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

So all is hunky dory in Illinois ; due at least in part to their exceptionally forward thinking government. You don’t seem like you’re fixin’ to move to Kansas anytime soon. So what’s the problem? A polarizing issue has been left to the people (i.e the states ) to decide. This is our system of government as designed by the founders of our great Nation. What is acceptable behavior in Illinois may not be in Missouri. Our Democratic Republic allows for this. 

For one, I don’t think every single issue should be left up to the states. Should the right to contraceptives be left to the states? Should we let the states decide if they want to allow interracial marriage?

If I was offered a great job opportunity in Ohio, the state where my wife and I went to school and still have friends, it would be a really difficult decision because moving to Ohio would mean losing access to important healthcare.

Secondly, the whole “leave it up to the states” argument falls a little flat when the GOP is openly advocating for a nationwide ban through Congress. Ultimately, it likely won’t be left to the states one way or the other.

5 hours ago, BillStime said:

Pigs

And that’s revealing. And not unexpected. So maybe this wasn’t just about an out of control Supreme Court thwarting the democratic process in each of the 50 states. Maybe it was about making abortion illegal in all 50 states. I hope the media presses candidates on this issue: Do you support federal legislation or a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion in all 50 states?  We will see more evasive, cringeworthy answers like the one yesterday — it doesn’t even count as “an abortion” if the patient is below a certain age, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And that’s revealing. And not unexpected. So maybe this wasn’t just about an out of control Supreme Court thwarting the democratic process in each of the 50 states. Maybe it was about making abortion illegal in all 50 states. I hope the media presses candidates on this issue: Do you support federal legislation or a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion in all 50 states?  We will see more evasive, cringeworthy answers like the one yesterday — it doesn’t even count as “an abortion” if the patient is below a certain age, etc. 

The video clip above is from February 2021.  The twit presents it as something recently proposed after the SCOTUS ruling.  That's a lie.

HR 705 was introduced in the House on February 2, 2021.  It was referred to a House committee on 3/22/21 and went nowhere.  The introduced HR bill did not outlaw abortion.  

The Congressional record (https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/705/committees) states:

This bill makes it a crime for a physician to knowingly perform an abortion (1) without determining whether the fetus has a detectable heartbeat, (2) without informing the mother of the results, or (3) after determining that a fetus has a detectable heartbeat.

It provides an exception for an abortion that is necessary to save the life of a mother whose life is endangered by a physical (but not psychological or emotional) disorder, illness, or condition.

A physician who performs a prohibited abortion is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, up to five years in prison, or both.

A woman who undergoes a prohibited abortion may not be prosecuted for violating or conspiring to violate the provisions of this bill.