Jump to content

USFL Wk.3 game threads


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Having a Sunday night primetime game behind a paywall service for a league you are trying to build a fan base is stupid. This was not thought through very well.

I didn't look but a lot of Peacock is free

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn’t really matter much after the drop off from week 1 to week 2.  
 

They are not getting the viewership of the last 3 leagues that have tried this.  The slippage in viewership is worse and the games are not good.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Doesn’t really matter much after the drop off from week 1 to week 2.  
 

They are not getting the viewership of the last 3 leagues that have tried this.  The slippage in viewership is worse and the games are not good.  
 

 


Yep, I recorded a game the 1st week and watched about the first half.  I left it on my DVR until this week, when I needed to make space to record the draft.  I don’t plan on watching any more.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Doesn’t really matter much after the drop off from week 1 to week 2.  
 

They are not getting the viewership of the last 3 leagues that have tried this.  The slippage in viewership is worse and the games are not good.  
 

 

 

Not surprising. At this time of the year fans watch the NHL/NBA playoffs or baseball. The only football that people care about and will watch are the NFL and CFB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

Not surprising. At this time of the year fans watch the NHL/NBA playoffs or baseball. The only football that people care about and will watch are the NFL and CFB. 

This was exactly my sentiment when the league first started.   NBA Playoffs and the beginning of baseball is a terrible time to start a new league.  Should have started at the end of May, and should have all games available on youtube with a few of the games available on the TV contract.

 

Makes sense though, the league owner loves to throw away money on upstart football leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This was exactly my sentiment when the league first started.   NBA Playoffs and the beginning of baseball is a terrible time to start a new league.  Should have started at the end of May, and should have all games available on youtube with a few of the games available on the TV contract.

 

Makes sense though, the league owner loves to throw away money on upstart football leagues.

I don’t understand how these owners have made millions in some other venture, but don’t have the business acumen to realize a secondary spring football league is just lighting money on fire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t understand how these owners have made millions in some other venture, but don’t have the business acumen to realize a secondary spring football league is just lighting money on fire. 

Most millionaires and billionaires were failures in something else before they hit the jackpot with what made them their money.    I think Fox Sports technically owns USFL, so as a multi billion dollar publicly traded company they will just light money on fire, and cancel the league.  Think of it as a television production, they cancel those all the time. 

 

The only way a spring league will ever work is if it eventually functions as a feeder league for the NFL.   I am not sure if you've heard of Overtime Elite (OTE) in basketball but thats starting to pick up steam as a feeder league for the NBA.  They pay the kids, and then allow them to make profit off of their NIL, which is exactly why the NCAA finally gave in on the NIL deal. 

 

OTE pays their players 100k a year.   If they dont get a pro contract when their pro eligibility starts the league also pays them 100k to attend the college they want to go to.  OTE just signed the top college recruit of the 2024 class, so the money is enough to get the kids to bypass school.

 

The XFL is looking to go to this model for football players.   I think its pretty genius, and could work if they dont go bankrupt before they sign their 1st blue chip high school kid.   I am excited to see if that model works in football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Most millionaires and billionaires were failures in something else before they hit the jackpot with what made them their money.    I think Fox Sports technically owns USFL, so as a multi billion dollar publicly traded company they will just light money on fire, and cancel the league.  Think of it as a television production, they cancel those all the time. 

 

The only way a spring league will ever work is if it eventually functions as a feeder league for the NFL.   I am not sure if you've heard of Overtime Elite (OTE) in basketball but thats starting to pick up steam as a feeder league for the NBA.  They pay the kids, and then allow them to make profit off of their NIL, which is exactly why the NCAA finally gave in on the NIL deal. 

 

OTE pays their players 100k a year.   If they dont get a pro contract when their pro eligibility starts the league also pays them 100k to attend the college they want to go to.  OTE just signed the top college recruit of the 2024 class, so the money is enough to get the kids to bypass school.

 

The XFL is looking to go to this model for football players.   I think its pretty genius, and could work if they dont go bankrupt before they sign their 1st blue chip high school kid.   I am excited to see if that model works in football. 

This is what I've been saying too. It needs to be something that can compete with the NCAA, not the NFL. If they can take legit talent from the NCAA and pay these kids right out of high school as a true developmental league, eligible for the NFL draft, then that would be awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A senior/celebrity league that's only 7 on 7 flag football but still a real competition would be much more interesting. Still have FG and XP so kickers could possible showcase their skills. 

 

Retired NFL players along with current/retired athletes and other well-known whoevers playing flag football where they really want to win. 

 

Also opens the door to female athletes playing, which could help expand the sport. 

 

League opens each year with coaches picking their teams in a giant draft. Some players are known, some surprises. Make it a big TV event. 

 

There seems to be an endless appetite for competition shows and for sports. It's perfect. 

 

Injury risk is lower without tackling or smashing heads on the OL/DL and there's plenty of potential for fantasy leagues and betting still. 

 

 

 

Edited by TheFunPolice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...