USFL Wk.3 game threads

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Confirmed: Maulers/Bandits at 7pm tonight on FS1.

We will see - opening arguments are expected today in the original USFL suit - with preliminary findings pointing to the original USFL having a case against Fox and either the league needing to change its name and the teams names and logo’s or pay fees to the original league for use of the names.

By 7pm tonight it could be the 2 unnamed teams versus each other in bland uniforms for the new Fox Sport league.

I will laugh so hard if the Fox loses and the USFL gets a significantly bigger settlement from this than the anti-trust lawsuit they won against the NFL.

It was incredibly stupid of Fox to reuse the names and team names from the USFL and with limited fan support already, below average play, and crappy weather - this looks to be a potential washout.

They rushed a product to try and beat the XFL and similar to other rushed endeavors - a poor ending is likely.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

We will see - opening arguments are expected today in the original USFL suit - with preliminary findings pointing to the original USFL having a case against Fox and either the league needing to change its name and the teams names and logo’s or pay fees to the original league for use of the names.

By 7pm tonight it could be the 2 unnamed teams versus each other in bland uniforms for the new Fox Sport league.

I will laugh so hard if the Fox loses and the USFL gets a significantly bigger settlement from this than the anti-trust lawsuit they won against the NFL.

It was incredibly stupid of Fox to reuse the names and team names from the USFL and with limited fan support already, below average play, and crappy weather - this looks to be a potential washout.

They rushed a product to try and beat the XFL and similar to other rushed endeavors - a poor ending is likely.

I am truly shocked that Fox used the same team names since they all play in Birmingham, just pick new names and you can feasibly argue that there is no link to the old USFL if their trademark ended. At this point Fox has to admit they ripped off the names and likeness. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am truly shocked that Fox used the same team names since they all play in Birmingham, just pick new names and you can feasibly argue that there is no link to the old USFL if their trademark ended. At this point Fox has to admit they ripped off the names and likeness. 

The biggest point was in Fox’s original tweet and ads for the league that paid homage to the original USFL and then they tried to say they were not trying to cash in on the original.  

They had to go back and reissue the preliminary announcement for the new USFL and remove discussion of the original.  

They could of kept the name USFL - renamed the teams and rebranded and been fine - especially since as you stated they are playing the game in Alabama.  It was arrogant and I just hope Fox gets slammed and has to pay a bunch of damages - it would crack me up.

The leagues attendance is going to be terrible and that makes for a less than adequate tv experience.  At least the XFL and the AAFL had some attendance and crowd spark for the home team.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Just saw the ratings come in at about 3 million viewers, which puts it ahead of the NBA play in games, and more than MLB or NHL generally get for a playoff game. We love football in the US.

I watched it. It was OK. Obviously the league won't last but I hope they at least get the season in unlike the last league.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Just saw the ratings come in at about 3 million viewers, which puts it ahead of the NBA play in games, and more than MLB or NHL generally get for a playoff game. We love football in the US.

That was for the Saturday game.  No way the Sunday games got those numbers.  

Similar ratings were seen for inaugural XFL game (all 4 week 1 games, really).  By week 5 they were averaging under a million.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I watched it. It was OK. Obviously the league won't last but I hope they at least get the season in unlike the last league.

Week one draws a lot of the curious. It will definitely fall from there. By week 6 you'll see where the league will land ratings-wise.

Also keep in mind that the NHL regularly draws under a million viewers, as does most NBA and college basketball and MLB games. A million viewers still puts you in the top ten most weeks.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There aren't many,if any, fans in the stands.  Looks like Highmark 2020.

Birmingham fans came out for their Stallions. (17K) They aren't going to every game.

Maulers with the hurry up n run. That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Putting all of the games in Birmingham was such a mistake. When the league schedule was announced, I immediately tried to find tickets to the Tampa team’s home opener. It was a disappointment to realize that there would be no regional games.

Logistically, it made sense, and I’ll still watch a game or two, but I really don’t feel any connection to the league or local team. 

They at least should have picked a bigger hub or regional hubs. 

Just now, fallen627 said:

Putting all of the games in Birmingham was such a mistake. When the league schedule was announced, I immediately tried to find tickets to the Tampa team’s home opener. It was a disappointment to realize that there would be no regional games.

Logistically, it made sense, and I’ll still watch a game or two, but I really don’t feel any connection to the league or local team. 

They at least should have picked a bigger hub or regional hubs. 

The plan is to move these teams to their native cities next year.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The plan is to move these teams to their native cities next year.

I get that, but it makes this feel like a wasted season—especially since they had an early advantage over the xfl. People will remember how empty the stadium is for most of the games, and it will color their perspective of the league and it’s worth. Is it fair? Probably not, but that will be the likely outcome. 

At the end of the day, I just want one of these leagues to stick, and I’d like to be able to attend a game or two as well. Maybe I’m just impatient 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That was for the Saturday game.  No way the Sunday games got those numbers.  

Similar ratings were seen for inaugural XFL game (all 4 week 1 games, really).  By week 5 they were averaging under a million.

My bigger point is that we are a football crazy country, this AA level football gets more viewers than basketball can get for some playoff games. I will state that if the QB play does not improve it won't last 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, fallen627 said:

I get that, but it makes this feel like a wasted season—especially since they had an early advantage over the xfl. People will remember how empty the stadium is for most of the games, and it will color their perspective of the league and it’s worth. Is it fair? Probably not, but that will be the likely outcome. 

At the end of the day, I just want one of these leagues to stick, and I’d like to be able to attend a game or two as well. Maybe I’m just impatient 

It's unrealistic to play 4 games a week in a market the size of Buffalo and expect to people to show up for every game. So far fans turned out for the home team. If the ratings stay at around a million and the sponsors get on board, they will move to their home cities. (Though I'm not convinced every city will welcome them.) As for the XFL they are going to have a very difficult time catching up. The fact they put things off till 2023 tells me they don't have the funding.

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Week one draws a lot of the curious. It will definitely fall from there. By week 6 you'll see where the league will land ratings-wise.

Also keep in mind that the NHL regularly draws under a million viewers, as does most NBA and college basketball and MLB games. A million viewers still puts you in the top ten most weeks.

I just turned off the Pittsburgh v. Tampa Bay game. Pittsburgh ran the ball the first 6 plays over two series. No first downs. They can't pass. I'm not watching a boring game like that and the league should be embarrassed.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I just turned off the Pittsburgh v. Tampa Bay game. Pittsburgh ran the ball the first 6 plays over two series. No first downs. They can't pass. I'm not watching a boring game like that and the league should be embarrassed.

Well you just missed the pass!! :lol:

Don't judge the league on this game. The other three were a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.