Can McD’s coaching connections predict our top draft picks? [long read]

LEBills

Back in 2018, Cover 1 put out a piece identifying how McDermott uses his coaching connections while researching draft picks. Essentially, McDermott used his connection with then LSU DC Dave Aranda to get the inside scoop on Tre White. Article here: 

https://www.cover1.net/could-hc-sean-mcdermotts-inner-circle-have-an-effect-on-the-draft/

I wanted to follow up on that article a bit to see if those connections still held true several year later. Here is what I found:

2018:

In 2018, we drafted Tremaine Edmunds and Harrison Phillips. 

At VT, Tremaine was coached by Justin Fuente who was close friends with then- Bills DL coach Bill Teerlink who later went and took the same position at VT to work with Fuente.

Harrison Phillips didn’t seem to have much connection other than opposing coaches that played against him at USC being connected to Frazier.

In 2019, we drafted Ed Oliver which seems to be the one time where there was no noticeable connection between our first defensive pick and coaching staff. The closest connection I found was then-Houston DC Mark D’Onofrio was Temple’s DC while McD was with the Eagles and Temple used to scrimmage at the Eagle’s stadium.

In 2020, we drafted AJ Epenesa in the second round. McDermott has said that he likes players from Iowa: “I always love guys from Iowa because of the culture they come from.” Kirk Ferentz also used to frequent Eskimo’s gym that McDermott worked out in growing up as he looked for recruits (tho this may be stretching it) per the buff news: https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/theres-no-keeping-him-down-how-sean-mcdermott-ascended-to-coach-of-the-bills/article_a7b1e43d-5094-569e-9c4a-b2e8c196a2bf.amp.html

Still in 2020, Dane Jackson in the 7th is also tied to McDermotts coaching tree as Pitt HC Narduzzi  was an assistant with the Eagles. 

https://www.wgrz.com/amp/article/sports/nfl/bills/nfl-draft-one-on-one-julianne-with-pitt-panthers-coach-pat-narduzzi-on-why-damar-hamlin-will-make-an-impact-with-the-bills-this-season/71-1ba47ec4-2aaa-414d-840e-5e9451af3a66

In 2021, leaning on coaching connections revved up, probably due to the incomplete college season.

In Round 1, we drafted Greg Rousseau who was coached at Miami by McD close friend Manny Diaz.

In round 2, we drafted Boogie Basham who was coached by by Dave Clawson who has know McD since McD was in college:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/wake-forest-head-coach-explains-what-separates-sean-mcdermott-from-other-nfl-coaches

Finally in round 6, we went back to the Pitt/Narduzzi well with Damar Hamlin.

That brings us to the 2022 draft and a few things stand out.

1. Aside from 2018 where we still used a second first rounder on Tremaine Edmunds. The Bills have drafted a defensive player with our first pick every year since McDermott arrived (maybe McDermott gets final say on the early round picks?)

2. In the draft years with more ambiguity - 2017 being McDs first year and with a GM that would soon be fired, and 2021 after the Covid messed up college season - we seemed to lean the hardest on the coaches connections

3. Though their were personal connections, none of the picks would be considered a reach for where they were selected. And the clear coaching connections were mostly just for the defensive prospects.

4. As the rounds get later, their seems to be fewer clear connections between our coaching staff and the players college coaching staff

So, does that give us any insight on who the Bills may draft?

Some Guesses:

Daxton Hill - CB/S - Michigan

Bob Shoop was Michigan’s Safeties coach for one season in 2020. That would have given him a chance to coach Daxton where the Safety was a full time starter. Per Cover 1’s article, Shoop was identified as an inner circle member along with Aranda and Diaz, where they all studied and discussed defensive strategy together.

Roger McCreary - CB - Auburn

Though regarded often as a second round pick, their could be 4 or 5 CBs off the board by the time we pick. McCreary doesn’t fit the McD body type with his sub-29 inch arms but he does have a connection to our staff. His defensive coordinator Derek Mason was a defensive assistant in Minnesota while Leslie Frazier was the DC. Aside from the short arms, McCreary has great skill and production.

Kenneth Walker - RB - Michigan State

Their is not a ton of matches between talent and familiarity with what we expect to be available at 25. However on offense, McD has also shown a willingness to lean on his coordinators connections. In 2017, Zay Jones was selected because the Bills new WR coach was Zay’s college receivers coach. Last year, former OL coach Bobby Johnson was a former Miami Redhawk and had seemed to have some input on Tommy Doyle being selected. 

This year may be Aaron Kromers turn. The coach was OC for the Bears at the same time Mel Tucker - current Michigan State HC- was DC for the Bears. And again, McDermotts friend Dave Clausen was Walker’s head coach at Wake for two years. Last year, Travis Etienne went 25 and it’s quite possible that Ken Walker is a target at that spot this year. 

Jalen Pitre - Safety- Baylor

McDermott may go back to the Dave Aranda well - now HC of Baylor. Pitre is a playmaker at Safety who may be a good future replacement. He was put into the STAR role in Baylor where he played all over the field so you know Aranda trusted him. Likely a second rounder.

Damarri Mathis CB/S - PITT

Pitt’s defense is very similar to ours and we may be willing to bring in another late round DB from McD’s buddy Narduzzi’s system.

Only two weeks to go until we find out Thanks to all those who read.

My dog got spade this morning and is not taking the discomfort well, so this self-imposed project has helped me stay up with her to make sure she doesn’t get the cone off and get after her stitches lol. 

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Two schools I could definitely see the Bills plucking players from are Penn State and Arkansas…the wrestling coach at Penn State is really close with McDermott and might have some inside info on the football players that others may not know.

Arkansas basketball visited the Bills training facility and Eric Musselman hung out with Sean and Brandon when the NCAA tournament was going on..he might have mentioned a player or two on the football program to keep an eye on.  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

You stretched really hard on several of those and still had big gaps considering you were looping in darn near any remote connections 

sure, if a friend he trusts stumps for a guy or gives a behind the scenes positive or negative review it will likely effect his opinion but that’s not noteworthy 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Two schools I could definitely see the Bills plucking players from are Penn State and Arkansas…the wrestling coach at Penn State is really close with McDermott and might have some inside info on the football players that others may not know.

Arkansas basketball visited the Bills training facility and Eric Musselman hung out with Sean and Brandon when the NCAA tournament was going on..he might have mentioned a player or two on the football program to keep an eye on.  

Penn State doesn’t really have anyone super highly rated this year, maybe Rasheed Walker? Arkansas and Treylon Burks could be an early pick. Could be some outside of football influences!

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You stretched really hard on several of those and still had big gaps considering you were looping in darn near any remote connections 

sure, if a friend he trusts stumps for a guy or gives a behind the scenes positive or negative review it will likely effect his opinion but that’s not noteworthy 

Yea haha it’s not perfect, moreso just a thought exercise. I personally think it had a big effect on who they chose in 2021 because of how funky a college season it was, but we will never know for sure. Could be this year is more of an Ed Oliver year where he seemed to just be BPA w/o any noticeable connection now that the past college season was normal again. Just things to think about as we wait for the draft to finally get here!

I think McD will always look to this he has had a history with that he feels a trust with to get the skinny on players that are coming out in any draft so there could be a connection but i think this year another thing that will be put into the equation is future contracts .

The biggest one to me is what Edmunds will want as far as money & i don't think that Beane will agree with the amount so i feel they will draft a LB in this years draft to take his place because although he is a good player i don't think what he does on the field will match with how much he wants to get paid for the Bills .

Then if you factor in the type of LB's that are in this draft the Bills could very easily get one that is better than Edmunds too which one of those LB's coaches have a tie to McD that may be one to look at 1 has a tie to Josh the kid from Wyoming he may be 1 to look at  does McD have any relations with that coach seeing as they got Josh from there 🤔

Edited by T master

Well kind of interesting. Then add ties to Pegula. Just add a TE and here's our Draft.😂

Dotson WR Penn State

Ebitketie Edge Penn State 

Brisker S Penn State 

Smith LB Penn State 

Walker OT Penn State 

Castro-Fields CB Penn State 

Stout P Penn State 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/colleges/2022/penn-state-nittany-lions

17 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Thank you for embracing the spirit of the original post and adding to it. 👍

16 hours ago, LEBills said:

Penn State doesn’t really have anyone super highly rated this year, maybe Rasheed Walker? Arkansas and Treylon Burks could be an early pick. Could be some outside of football influences!

Yea haha it’s not perfect, moreso just a thought exercise. I personally think it had a big effect on who they chose in 2021 because of how funky a college season it was, but we will never know for sure. Could be this year is more of an Ed Oliver year where he seemed to just be BPA w/o any noticeable connection now that the past college season was normal again. Just things to think about as we wait for the draft to finally get here!

Nice topic and thanks for your hard work. If professional writers who cover the team provided similar content we would be complimentary of them. I know you had an alternative motive but I still appreciate the effort.

BTW, Penn State does have a blue chip draft prospect, WR Jahan Dotson.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thank you for embracing the spirit of the original post and adding to it. 👍

Nice topic and thanks for your hard work. If professional writers who cover the team provided similar content we would be complimentary of them. I know you had an alternative motive but I still appreciate the effort.

BTW, Penn State does have a blue chip draft prospect, WR Jahan Dotson.

Thanks for the compliment, I’m a big draft buff from all the drought years when drafting seemed like the only way out.

Fortunately, unlike those years, the organization is very tight lipped about their draft plans. That has helped us immensely to become competitive. But in these weeks leading up to the draft, where we have all seen every players highlights, their is only so much left to speculate on before draft day hits. 

I know this is all speculative, and we may not draft any of these guys. But McDermott is a big culture guy so I do think he leans on his connections to get more info than you can get in a workout or meeting. We will see, can’t wait for the draft!

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LEBills said:

Back in 2018, Cover 1 put out a piece identifying how McDermott uses his coaching connections while researching draft picks. Essentially, McDermott used his connection with then LSU DC Dave Aranda to get the inside scoop on Tre White. Article here: 

https://www.cover1.net/could-hc-sean-mcdermotts-inner-circle-have-an-effect-on-the-draft/

I wanted to follow up on that article a bit to see if those connections still held true several year later. Here is what I found:

2018:

In 2018, we drafted Tremaine Edmunds and Harrison Phillips. 

At VT, Tremaine was coached by Justin Fuente who was close friends with then- Bills DL coach Bill Teerlink who later went and took the same position at VT to work with Fuente.

Harrison Phillips didn’t seem to have much connection other than opposing coaches that played against him at USC being connected to Frazier.

In 2019, we drafted Ed Oliver which seems to be the one time where there was no noticeable connection between our first defensive pick and coaching staff. The closest connection I found was then-Houston DC Mark D’Onofrio was Temple’s DC while McD was with the Eagles and Temple used to scrimmage at the Eagle’s stadium.

In 2020, we drafted AJ Epenesa in the second round. McDermott has said that he likes players from Iowa: “I always love guys from Iowa because of the culture they come from.” Kirk Ferentz also used to frequent Eskimo’s gym that McDermott worked out in growing up as he looked for recruits (tho this may be stretching it) per the buff news: https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/theres-no-keeping-him-down-how-sean-mcdermott-ascended-to-coach-of-the-bills/article_a7b1e43d-5094-569e-9c4a-b2e8c196a2bf.amp.html

Still in 2020, Dane Jackson in the 7th is also tied to McDermotts coaching tree as Pitt HC Narduzzi  was an assistant with the Eagles. 

https://www.wgrz.com/amp/article/sports/nfl/bills/nfl-draft-one-on-one-julianne-with-pitt-panthers-coach-pat-narduzzi-on-why-damar-hamlin-will-make-an-impact-with-the-bills-this-season/71-1ba47ec4-2aaa-414d-840e-5e9451af3a66

In 2021, leaning on coaching connections revved up, probably due to the incomplete college season.

In Round 1, we drafted Greg Rousseau who was coached at Miami by McD close friend Manny Diaz.

In round 2, we drafted Boogie Basham who was coached by by Dave Clawson who has know McD since McD was in college:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/wake-forest-head-coach-explains-what-separates-sean-mcdermott-from-other-nfl-coaches

Finally in round 6, we went back to the Pitt/Narduzzi well with Damar Hamlin.

That brings us to the 2022 draft and a few things stand out.

1. Aside from 2018 where we still used a second first rounder on Tremaine Edmunds. The Bills have drafted a defensive player with our first pick every year since McDermott arrived (maybe McDermott gets final say on the early round picks?)

2. In the draft years with more ambiguity - 2017 being McDs first year and with a GM that would soon be fired, and 2021 after the Covid messed up college season - we seemed to lean the hardest on the coaches connections

3. Though their were personal connections, none of the picks would be considered a reach for where they were selected. And the clear coaching connections were mostly just for the defensive prospects.

4. As the rounds get later, their seems to be fewer clear connections between our coaching staff and the players college coaching staff

So, does that give us any insight on who the Bills may draft?

Some Guesses:

Daxton Hill - CB/S - Michigan

Bob Shoop was Michigan’s Safeties coach for one season in 2020. That would have given him a chance to coach Daxton where the Safety was a full time starter. Per Cover 1’s article, Shoop was identified as an inner circle member along with Aranda and Diaz, where they all studied and discussed defensive strategy together.

Roger McCreary - CB - Auburn

Though regarded often as a second round pick, their could be 4 or 5 CBs off the board by the time we pick. McCreary doesn’t fit the McD body type with his sub-29 inch arms but he does have a connection to our staff. His defensive coordinator Derek Mason was a defensive assistant in Minnesota while Leslie Frazier was the DC. Aside from the short arms, McCreary has great skill and production.

Kenneth Walker - RB - Michigan State

Their is not a ton of matches between talent and familiarity with what we expect to be available at 25. However on offense, McD has also shown a willingness to lean on his coordinators connections. In 2017, Zay Jones was selected because the Bills new WR coach was Zay’s college receivers coach. Last year, former OL coach Bobby Johnson was a former Miami Redhawk and had seemed to have some input on Tommy Doyle being selected. 

This year may be Aaron Kromers turn. The coach was OC for the Bears at the same time Mel Tucker - current Michigan State HC- was DC for the Bears. And again, McDermotts friend Dave Clausen was Walker’s head coach at Wake for two years. Last year, Travis Etienne went 25 and it’s quite possible that Ken Walker is a target at that spot this year. 

Jalen Pitre - Safety- Baylor

McDermott may go back to the Dave Aranda well - now HC of Baylor. Pitre is a playmaker at Safety who may be a good future replacement. He was put into the STAR role in Baylor where he played all over the field so you know Aranda trusted him. Likely a second rounder.

Damarri Mathis CB/S - PITT

Pitt’s defense is very similar to ours and we may be willing to bring in another late round DB from McD’s buddy Narduzzi’s system.

Only two weeks to go until we find out Thanks to all those who read.

My dog got spade this morning and is not taking the discomfort well, so this self-imposed project has helped me stay up with her to make sure she doesn’t get the cone off and get after her stitches lol. 

I'm impressed by the work, and thought, that went into this.

• Like (+1) 1

Is there a more obvious connection than Miami’s Bubba Bolden? Really good measurables at the safety position, highly touted recruit out of HS, Manny Diaz’s defensive QB. Good height-weight-speed and will be available later in the draft because he’s undervalued and coming off injury. Ran 4.47 and has been tutored by Ed Reed the last few years. At the very least would be core specials teams guy off the bat and a guy you could groom as a safety with some pedigree.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Martin Emerson, CB Mississippi State

Emerson was recruited for Bob Shoop’s defense to play corner and played a bunch of games as a freshmen for Shoop. Interestingly Shoop saw Emerson as a possible future safety and he could make sense as a conversion guy. Emerson makes a lot of sense as a fit here on many levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Is there a more obvious connection than Miami’s Bubba Bolden? Really good measurables at the safety position, highly touted recruit out of HS, Manny Diaz’s defensive QB. Good height-weight-speed and will be available later in the draft because he’s undervalued and coming off injury. Ran 4.47 and has been tutored by Ed Reed the last few years. At the very least would be core specials teams guy off the bat and a guy you could groom as a safety with some pedigree.

Honestly, when I saw his 2020 highlights I was like he looks like a young Poyer - number, range, size. This year he had some struggles which will probably leave him day 3 or undrafted but I definitely think he is someone the Bills would be very interested in! Jaquan Johnson was another Miami Safety with ties to Diaz that we drafted in the late rounds. Coming out he was highly regarded as a teammate and for his intelligence, though lacking in the athletic department. Jaquan is going into the final year of his contract and I think Bolden is more talented (though Johnson plays smarter and more soundly).

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Martin Emerson, CB Mississippi State

Emerson was recruited for Bob Shoop’s defense to play corner and played a bunch of games as a freshmen for Shoop. Interestingly Shoop saw Emerson as a possible future safety and he could make sense as a conversion guy. Emerson makes a lot of sense as a fit here on many levels. 

Good eye on Emerson! He has been getting a lot of buzz in the draft community as a 2nd/3rd round corner for the Bills so there may be a little smoke there. Shoop was the DC there for his Freshman season where he did start a few games so the Bills may have a little extra insight on him.

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I posted this elsewhere, but Brandon Smith makes a ton of sense. With Penn State you have the Pegula connection, the Shoop connection and the Brent Pry connection. Pry was his position coach at PSU. Here is the thing with Smith, I think he is a boom or bust prospect. This regime wants a linebacker like Tremaine Edmunds. Smith is the closest thing you can get to Edmunds in this draft. He has quite the pedigree as a 5 star recruit. He is shorter than Tremaine, but built thicker and has a slightly longer wingspan. 

Copy and pasted from another post of mine:

I love that they met with Brandon Smith from Penn State. He may be the answer we are looking for. Smith has everything Tremaine has, but he is a much more physical player and he is a bit shorter so his frame is a bit more compact and but he still has freaky long arms and his wingspan is wider than Tremaines. He ran a slightly slower 40 but displays better lower body explosion with a better broad jump than Maine. He also came in about 10 lbs heavier than he played, so he is probably closer to a 4.5 than a 4.6. If we do move on, this is the type of guy the regime would target to replace him. 

HT: 6-3 1/2

WT: 250

ARMS: 34 5/8

HANDS: 10 1/4

40: 4.57 (4th among LBs - tie)

BENCH: DNP

VERTICAL: 37.5 (4th among LBs)

BROAD: 128 (4th among LBs - tie)

Here are pro day numbers mixed with combine:

(*denotes measurement from NFL combine):

Height: 6 feet, 3.5 inches

Weight: 244 pounds

Arms: 34 5/8

Hands: 10 1/4

Bench press: 20 reps

Vertical jump: 37.5 inches*

Broad jump: 10 feet, 8 inches*

40-yard dash: 4.52 seconds*

20-yard shuttle: 4.08 seconds

3-cone drill: 6.94 seconds

The Bills met with him at the combine, were at his pro day, and have a connection to his position coach the last few years. He put up a 9.9 RAS. 

Please don’t turn this into a Tremaine debate. Basically you are pressing the reset button on Tremaine and finding the same type of prospect who is much, much cheaper. Like it or not, this is the type of prospect at the linebacker position they like. Smith is essentially three years younger as he just turned 21 and Tremaine turns 24 in a month. Smith was a 5 star recruit, player of the year in Virginia. He is raw but sweaky clean. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I posted this elsewhere, but Brandon Smith makes a ton of sense. With Penn State you have the Pegula connection, the Shoop connection and the Brent Pry connection. Pry was his position coach at PSU. Here is the thing with Smith, I think he is a boom or bust prospect. This regime wants a linebacker like Tremaine Edmunds. Smith is the closest thing you can get to Edmunds in this draft. He has quite the pedigree as a 5 star recruit. He is shorter than Tremaine, but built thicker and has a slightly longer wingspan. 

I love that they met with Brandon Smith from Penn State. He may be the answer we are looking for. Smith has everything Tremaine has, but he is a much more physical player and he is a bit shorter so his frame is a bit more compact and but he still has freaky long arms and his wingspan is wider than Tremaines. He ran a slightly slower 40 but displays better lower body explosion with a better broad jump than Maine. He also came in about 10 lbs heavier than he played, so he is probably closer to a 4.5 than a 4.6. If we do move on, this is the type of guy the regime would target to replace him. 

The Bills met with him at the combine, were at his pro day, and have a connection to his position coach the last few years. He put up a 9.9 RAS. 

Please don’t turn this into a Tremaine debate. Basically you are pressing the reset button on Tremaine and finding the same type of prospect who is much, much cheaper. Like it or not, this is the type of prospect at the linebacker position they like. Smith is essentially three years younger as he just turned 21 and Tremaine turns 24 in a month. Smith was a 5 star recruit, player of the year in Virginia. He is raw but sweaky clean. 

Good point with PSU, as Shoop, Pry and James Franklin all interconnected.

Brandon Smith certainly has all the physical traits you look for and more in an ILB and if we could get him day 3 to develop for a few years that may help him bc he was pretty raw this past year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Smith as well. Have him in many of my mocks. Also doesn't hurt he's on Bruce Feldman's FREAK list.😁

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.