If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

The biggest plays he makes are when they don't throw to the middle of the field because of the 6'5 guy covering their TE etc.  That double clutch causes a sack or a pressure, or forces a throw into coverage, or just generally an incompletion.  It doesn't pop - but the team has basically the #1 3rd down defense since he joined the org - on a majority cover 2/3/4 zone team.  That's a lot of grass for a dude to cover.  

One interesting stat about Tremaine Edmunds and pass coverage is he allows a completion on 75% of targets to the man he is covering.   Not exactly Revis Island.  

Yes, there are other LBers that give up as many completions, but there are plenty that give up a smaller %.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

I am not sure what a team would be willing to trade for Edmunds on an expensive 1 year rental, you might have to take a later round pick.  If they negotiated an extension with him, he would have more value but that is not likely to happen during the draft, probably not impossible though if there are discussions ahead of time.

I stated that the trade for Edmunds would be contingent on him signing a long term extension....I agree that no team would trade a second round pick for a one year rental.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

One interesting stat about Tremaine Edmunds and pass coverage is he allows a completion on 75% of targets to the man he is covering.   Not exactly Revis Island.  

Yes, there are other LBers that give up as many completions, but there are plenty that give up a smaller %.

So I looked at these numbers - i took out corners and safeties because its not a fair comparison.  I took out small sample sizes of players who started fewer than 8 games.  That gives you a baseline of 63 linebackers (a couple are hybrids). 

He's not among the top, nor bottom.  He only had 59 targets for one, which is like 25th - so a few more incompletions and that number goes way down.  The numbers to me show that 75% isn't really that bad - 48 of the 63 players had numbers higher than 70.  Seems to come with the territory that playing MLB in the current era will give you a tough number there.  

Bobby Wagner, Denzel Perryman, and Devin White were pro bowlers and all had higher comp% allowed, gave up more yards, and were both targeted more than Edmunds.  

Good news!  Matt Milanos 55.2% comp percentage allowed was the best in the NFL among linebackers.  Bad news, his 11.3% missed tackle percentage was the 16th highest in the NFL.  

25 minutes ago, section122 said:

Edmunds both good enough to fetch a mid 2nd round pick according to the board and bad enough to be easily replaced by a rookie.

Both good enough to be the captain of the #1 defense and also bad at getting the defense aligned and picking the right gaps.

Both good enough to be one the field almost every snap for the #1 defense and bad enough that he should be traded after the bills pushed all their chips to the middle this year.

Hmmmmm.

Do you really think they were a #1 defense?

Edmunds started as a rookie why can't another rookie start?

The Bills only need to find one willing trade partner that sees Edmunds and still thinks he will get better. 

Trading Edmunds now is all about avoiding future cost and getting some value now.

The only options are trade now, let him walk and hope you get a 3rd round comp pick, tag him next season or sign him long term after this season. 

It will be interesting to see what they do. I just don't think he is that good. Others feel differently. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The only options are trade now, let him walk and hope you get a 3rd round comp pick, tag him next season or sign him long term after this season. 

It will be interesting to see what they do. I just don't think he is that good. Others feel differently. 

I got blasted for saying this, but have the Bills ever gotten a compensatory pick under Beane?

3 hours ago, ONEandDONE said:

McDermott runs a single gap system, which focuses heavily on quick penetration by the defensive line to disrupt the offense. The linebackers have gap responsibilities dependent on the formation, they don't get to choose their own gaps lol.

What?   A LBs job is to read and react.   From my view, Edmunds is about 50/50 on correctly diagnosing inside running plays.   It's almost like he's guessing which hole to hit rather than seeing the play unfold.   IMO, after four years, he's no more savvy about MLB play than he was in his second year.   

The Bills love him for his length and range in their zone passing defense.   OK, I get that.    But they need an upgrade in their run defense from what Edmunds provides, IMO.    Tackle stats hide where contact is made--near the line of scrimage or 5-years down field.    London Fletcher had a lot of those 5-yard down field tackle stats, just like Edmunds.   

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, section122 said:

Edmunds both good enough to fetch a mid 2nd round pick according to the board and bad enough to be easily replaced by a rookie.

Not just any rookie....Lloyd is arguably the #1 LB prospect in this draft.

I don't think its unreasonable to think he could replace Edmunds and be good right away, and think that Edmunds is good enough to fetch a second round pick, IMO.

Edited by Special K
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

What?   A LBs job is to read and react.   From my view, Edmunds is about 50/50 on correctly diagnosing inside running plays.   It's almost like he's guessing which hole to hit rather than seeing the play unfold.   IMO, after four years, he's no more savvy about MLB play than he was in his second year.   

The Bills love him for his length and range in their zone passing defense.   OK, I get that.    But they need an upgrade in their run defense from what Edmunds provides, IMO.    Tackle stats hide where contact is made--near the line of scrimage or 5-years down field.    London Fletcher had a lot of those 5-yard down field tackle stats, just like Edmunds.   

I'm about as big of an Edmunds "basher" as they come, but the Cover1 guys did a great video that show how much he really is asked to cover. Most of the time, Edmunds has TWO gaps to cover, so he has to wait to see which side of the OLineman the back decides to cut to before he reacts. Otherwise, any halfway decent back will read Edmunds' choice and simply go the other way.

If that is the way the scheme works, then anyone we put in MLB will likely still have the same hesitancy. My bigger issue is that when he does finally make the read, and goes to make a tackle, he either gets blocked out or the RB runs right through his arms.

38 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I got blasted for saying this, but have the Bills ever gotten a compensatory pick under Beane?

No Beane has not ever gotten a compensatory pick.

And we won't in 2023 either.   Beane signed way too many players that were UFAs this spring.

Why do other teams seem to get compensatory picks, and we don't?

One reason is Beane's philosophy of "signing our own".    You have to let players walk if you want to get compensatory picks.  So if he keeps signing our own, it is not going to every happen.

Plus he seems to sign a lot of UFAs during free agency.   

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

The biggest plays he makes are when they don't throw to the middle of the field because of the 6'5 guy covering their TE etc.  That double clutch causes a sack or a pressure, or forces a throw into coverage, or just generally an incompletion.  It doesn't pop - but the team has basically the #1 3rd down defense since he joined the org - on a majority cover 2/3/4 zone team.  That's a lot of grass for a dude to cover.  

Well said

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm about as big of an Edmunds "basher" as they come, but the Cover1 guys did a great video that show how much he really is asked to cover. Most of the time, Edmunds has TWO gaps to cover, so he has to wait to see which side of the OLineman the back decides to cut to before he reacts. Otherwise, any halfway decent back will read Edmunds' choice and simply go the other way.

Well, whenever I watch him (and I watch him a lot), he's reacting at the snap and it's 50/50 his first step is going the wrong way.   The RB isn't reading Edmunds, he's hitting the hole the OL is blocking--and Edmunds is in the wrong gap more often than not.   

And even when he isn't, I agree with you about his tackling.   It's almost like the thing they like him for the most (his length) works against him in terms of getting leverage and defeating blocks.  He's a "run-around," arm tackler more than a square-up guy.     

11 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Well, whenever I watch him (and I watch him a lot), he's reacting at the snap and it's 50/50 his first step is going the wrong way.   The RB isn't reading Edmunds, he's hitting the hole the OL is blocking--and Edmunds is in the wrong gap more often than not.   

And even when he isn't, I agree with you about his tackling.   It's almost like the thing they like him for the most (his length) works against him in terms of getting leverage and defeating blocks.  He's a "run-around," arm tackler more than a square-up guy.     

Ah, that much I def agree with you on. But when he does manage to go the right way, he still has more than one responsibility to take care of. I try to find as much credit to give him as possible, because it's so easy to bash him and I want to be clear that I DO want to give him a shot and do wish he would be good. But so far, I'm not seeing it.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

For the most part I disagree with your take. Comparing Poyer to Edmunds just isn't fair to Poyer. I'm not convinced that losing Edmunds would negatively affect the players. Players know that there's always a chance teams could trade or release them especially when it comes to contract time. 

Imho, Edmunds is average to good at best. He's very replaceable and his new contract doesn't warrant that type of money. I think the Bills can improve the position and save salary at the same time. I wish him the best in a different uniform. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Only problems is….. Edmunds isn’t as good as people think he is. It’s his last season with us and he will likely get a contract worth more than $15/y and he’s just not worth that much. You trade him while you can and get something for him to soften the blow. 

Easy answer, you resign Poyer and Hyde to add a few years on each contract with the money you save from Edmunds. You have one of them call the defense since they are incredibly smart and have an overview of the entire field from the S position, until your rookie LB catches on. 

Again, my statements are not about whether Edmunds is worth keeping or not. Nor are my statements about whether he is a good player or not. I'm NOT addressing those questions.

I'm questioning what effect if any replacing him with a rookie linebacker and trading him away might have on the locker room.

Some here are arguing that it wouldn't have much negative effect but those same people are basing their opinion on their own belief that Edmunds isn't any good. That opinion is irrelevant.

What's relevant is how valuable his teammates believe Edmunds is.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Again, my statements are not about whether Edmunds is worth keeping or not. Nor are my statements about whether he is a good player or not. I'm NOT addressing those questions.

I'm questioning what effect if any replacing him with a rookie linebacker and trading him away might have on the locker room.

Some here are arguing that it wouldn't have much negative effect but those same people are basing their opinion on their own belief that Edmunds isn't any good. That opinion is irrelevant.

It is true that the Bills, as a whole, are a pretty tight-knit crew. Very family-like.

It is also true that it is inevitable we will end up losing some key players to Free Agency as the years pass.

If the team and locker room cannot survive the business side of the game forcing out some beloved players, then we arent mentally strong enough to ever win a Super Bowl.

Outside of Josh, no one is safe at an individual level.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It is true that the Bills, as a whole, are a pretty tight-knit crew. Very family-like.

It is also true that it is inevitable we will end up losing some key players to Free Agency as the years pass.

If the team and locker room cannot survive the business side of the game forcing out some beloved players, then we arent mentally strong enough to ever win a Super Bowl.

Outside of Josh, no one is safe at an individual level.

This is the best response to the question.

I would add that you have to view these on a case by case basis.

For instance on the surface the Edmunds and Poyer situations might appear to be similar but only those in the organization would have a good idea of how well it would be received if the team drafted a rookie and traded away the veteran in either of these cases.

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

This is the best response to the question.

I would add that you have to view these on a case by case basis.

For instance on the surface the Edmunds and Poyer situations might appear to be similar but only those in the organization would have a good idea of how well it would be received if the team drafted a rookie and traded away the veteran in either of these cases.

It's my personal opinion (cant speak for the actual players) that Beane has enough of a well-established track record of paying guys (Tre White, Milano, Dawkins, Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Poyer and Hyde already extended once) that he has the wiggle room to let a guy like Edmunds, and even Poyer, walk and players will chalk it up to the "business", and still believe in Beane's vision for building the team.

You have so many guys that already got paid by the Bills, I dont think letting one guy go will undo that. And heck, it could be argued that "All of you who are here who got paid are the reasons why we had to let Edmunds walk".

• Like (+1) 1

God the off season can’t end fast enough

You guys are high if you think Edmunds is going anywhere this year

No way Beane blows up the middle of our D this year when we are primed for a run. If anything, he will draft Edmunds replacement and let him learn for a year.

I can’t wait to see this board melt down when Beane gives him an extension. It will be one of those TBD defining moments. And I’m not a big Edmunds fan

Edited by RunTheBall

51 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm sure some teammates will miss Edmunds. However, I feel his departure would have little to no effect on current players. Players are used to the football business. Every year the team changes. I don't see Edmunds as the glue or outstanding leader on the defense. I can't recall ever seeing him gathering up the defense and rallying the defense. Perhaps he leads by quiet example. Either way, Edmunds departure will not negatively impact the team. To think otherwise is giving Edmunds way way too much credit. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

No way Beane blows up the middle of our D this year when we are primed for a run. If anything, he will draft Edmunds replacement and let him learn for a year.

Yep, that's Beane's MO.   He'll roll with Edmunds this year and say he's "earned the right to test the market" next year.   Drafting his replacement now is a good idea.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.