If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

When I rewatch the games I try to pay attention to edmunds when he blitz’s.  From my experience, he has zero pass rush moves, bend and only tends to get pressure when he gets the step on his man or sneaks in behind a stunt. I think he’s the worst guy to have get after the QB.  I think he’s best when using his size/length as a possible deterrent in the pass game, even if  he doesn’t deter the best QBs.  Maybe he’s working on some pass rush moves this offseason…..because he has zilch in that dept imo.  Just size, speed and length.  

Add in how many big plays has the guy made in 4 years? It amazes me how people are still in his corner. If you like mediocre LB as first round picks then I get it. 

I haven’t read the entire thread. But it seems like the gist of it is if we were able to get Lloyd, we get rid of Edmunds. But in the case of the unlikely scenario that he is there a 25, why not take Lloyd and keep Edmunds for at least next season?  As I understand it, Lloyd can play any of the linebacker positions. I know we usually play a 4-2-5 defense against most teams. But imagine the three linebacker set we would have with Lloyd when we went in that direction. He would also be great insurance against injury to one of the other two next season. Then, if they want to let go of Tremaine after next season, Lloyd will have a season under his belt to take over in the middle.

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

I haven’t read the entire thread. But it seems like the gist of it is if we were able to get Lloyd, we get rid of Edmunds. But in the case of the unlikely scenario that he is there a 25, why not take Lloyd and keep Edmunds for at least next season?  As I understand it, Lloyd can play any of the linebacker positions. I know we usually play a 4-2-5 defense against most teams. But imagine the three linebacker set we would have with Lloyd when we went in that direction. He would also be great insurance against injury to one of the other two next season. Then, if they want to let go of Tremaine after next season, Lloyd will have a season under his belt to take over in the middle.

As the OP of this thread, I did believe that if the Bills drafted Lloyd they should trade Edmunds immediately....however as this thread has gone on I have been persuaded by the many people who have made the "draft Lloyd, but keep Edmunds for one more year" argument. 

It actually makes more sense because of the fact that McD doesn't like to rely on rookies right away.....this would give Lloyd time to get up to speed before being thrown into the starting lineup.

The Bills could even rotate in Lloyd for both Edmunds and Milano to keep them both fresh for the long season. Also, it is more than likely that Edmunds and Milano will miss a game or two due to injury(it happened last year and the year before) AJ Klien would fill in the last two years in this situation, but he's gone, so a guy like Lloyd would come in handy for that kind of role this year, then become the full time starter the following season when they let Edmunds walk as a FA.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, Special K said:

I sort of see your point, but this is a veteran-laden defense.....that might make things a little smoother for the rookie in that respect 

I don't think trading Edmunds is gonna happen.  I don't think he's lived up to his hype but he hasn't been totally worthless.  I'm curious to see how he plays now we got a legit pass rusher that will certainly keep the qb focused on not being sacked.  Easy to lose track if anemones when fearing the Von.  I'm expecting alot more balls tossed up to avoid a sack and it will be interesting how Frazier adapts the defense with this wrinkle.  I don't necessarily think Edmunds will suddenly turn a corner but it's not impossible either with a different mix of pressure might give Edmunds more freedom to roam and finally produce like we've all wanted. 

If he does turn the corner that would make for some interesting decisions next offseason.  We could sign him to a team friendly deal if he is wanting to remain a Bill, if not we could trade him for a nice package of picks and not be too heartbroken as he only matched or exceeded expectation in 1 year and contract year to boot.  If he doesn't play much better they could move him at trade deadline or just let him walk after the season.  And never know he may understand realize his play isn't top pay caliber and re-signs for a deal that is fair for his production. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, Mojo44 said:

I would take it especially since we are in our SB Window.  The question is whether the Bills will want some form of compensation out of Edmunds as he will be a FA next season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.