If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

Would you select him, and trade Edmunds to a team with a top 15 Second Round Pick??

I know there are a lot of what-ifs in this scenario, but if the draft did fall this way, and a team with a top 15 second round pick was interested in trading for Edmunds...I would pull the trigger immediately on this.

Although I do not hate Edmunds as much as many on this board, I am certainly not a fan of giving him a huge contract extension either.

Lloyd is a beast of a LB, and could easily end up being better than Edmunds quite quickly, plus he would be on a cheaper rookie contract for the next 5 years.

I would use the second round pick from the trade to draft Breece Hall, the Bills actual second round pick to draft a speed WR like Metchie III, and use the cap savings from losing Edmunds contract to sign one of the Veteran CB's still on the market.

What do you think??

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

This isn't a bad idea in general, but I'm not sure changing such a key piece of your defense (even though I see him as a very average player) when you are about to make a super bowl run makes much sense. Rookies hit a wall because not only are there more games and the stress level is higher, but they are also worn out by having prepared for the draft.

12 minutes ago, Special K said:

Would you select him, and trade Edmunds to a team with a top 15 Second Round Pick??

I know there are a lot of what-ifs in this scenario, but if the draft did fall this way, and a team with a top 15 second round pick was interested in trading for Edmunds...I would pull the trigger immediately on this.

Although I do not hate Edmunds as much as many on this board, I am certainly not a fan of giving him a huge contract extension either.

Lloyd is a beast of a LB, and could easily end up being better than Edmunds quite quickly, plus he would be on a cheaper rookie contract for the next 5 years.

I would use the second round pick from the trade to draft Breece Hall, the Bills actual second round pick to draft a speed WR like Metchie III, and use the cap savings from losing Edmunds contract to sign one of the Veteran CB's still on the market.

What do you think??

I would pass on the trade and just draft Lloyd in the 1st, WR/RB in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd and Bob's your uncle. No need to trade away your defensive signal caller in the middle of a superbowl window, I'd rather just get a comp pick. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Special K said:

What do you think??

I like Lloyd a lot.

But I don't think you make a rookie your signal-caller in a year where you really think you're going for the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

Edmunds replacement will probably be drafted in the first round and Edmunds will probably be traded on draft day. We can’t keep everybody. We use premium picks on premium positions and middle linebacker is a premium position to us.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Wtf? No.

Brace for impact. Edmunds will more than likely be traded on draft day. And it might be Troy Anderson or Quay Walker at 25

• Disagree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Lloyd a lot.

But I don't think you make a rookie your signal-caller in a year where you really think you're going for the Super Bowl.

I sort of see your point, but this is a veteran-laden defense.....that might make things a little smoother for the rookie in that respect 

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Lloyd a lot.

Agree with that logic. However, I ask will the rookie be any worse than Edmunds? There's a realistic chance he might be better. 

Also, I don't think the Bills can get a second round pick for Edmunds. More likely a 3rd round pick. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Lloyd a lot.

It’s now or never. We either trade him or lose him for nothing. He is not as bad as people try to make him out to be he will probably get between 10 to 15 million  with his new contract if he plays the way he played last year he has made it to a pro bowl.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

Edmunds replacement will probably be drafted in the first round and Edmunds will probably be traded on draft day. We can’t keep everybody. We use premium picks on premium positions and middle linebacker is a premium position to us.

Brace for impact. Edmunds will more than likely be traded on draft day. And it might be Troy Anderson or Quay Walker at 25

There's noticeable progression of your claim from even the first bolded statement in this argument to the second, without ANY supporting evidence. No one can dispute that it's POSSIBLE the Bills move on from Edmunds, because none of us actually KNOWS what will happen, but it is even more likely that the team moves a beloved player like Jordan Poyer, considering the actual evidence of his initial maneuvers designed to land him a new deal sooner rather than later. Edmunds has shown no reported signs of seeking a new contract. 

I think trading Edmunds, if the Bills receive compelling value for him, is smart. I know about the perceived "window" we're in. But any moves that recoup value for high-end players who the team is not planning to retain, while unpleasant, are smart. Keep that window open perpetually, if possible.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree with that logic. However, I ask will the rookie be any worse than Edmunds? There's a realistic chance he might be better. 

Also, I don't think the Bills can get a second round pick for Edmunds. More likely a 3rd round pick. 

Moving on from Edmunds is similar to the idea being floated that the team move on from Jordan Poyer.

In each case there are a lot of people here who aren't considering the impact that trading away a respected team leader would have on the locker room.

FWIW, Edmunds is a team captain and a guy the Bills traded up to pick in the 1st round. He's been an exemplary teammate, doing everything expected and asked of him within his powers.

If the Bills are so coldly calculating as to trade away a respected veteran leader for the promise of a rookie, isn't that risky in terms of the locker room ripple effect?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

What are you basing this on?

Anything of substance or just gut feeling?

Edited by Aussie Joe

I think Edmunds' replacement will be drafted this year, but it won't be until round 3 or later. We still need to add a cb and wr first and hopefully Chad Muma, Troy Anderson, or Darrian Beavers will be available in the 3rd. Edmunds would remain the starter while the rookie gets reps in 4-3 fronts as he learns the defense and starts in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.