2022 Concerts: Who Is Everyone Going to See?

Gugny

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

How was the show?  Just heard Courtney Barnett on the radio and it reminded me you were going.  I'm such a big fan of hers 

It was really good, thanks for asking.

Fred Armisen was really funny. He did very musician-specific comedy. Anyone in the audience who was a musician -- or at least was passionate and knowledgeable about music -- probably enjoyed it. Anyone who wasn't, maybe didn't. He had a real Andy Kaufman-esque "I don't really care if you think I'm funny or not" vibe. I thought it was hilarious.

Waxahatchee was good. Didn't have a band behind her. Just got up with an acoustic guitar, solo, and sang her songs. She's a good songwriter with a lovely voice and impressive vocal range. 

Courtney Barnett was really good. Coming in, to the degree that I knew anything about any of these acts, I was more a fan of Waxahatchee's stuff. I liked what I had heard from Barnett well enough, but her live act really hit differently. Her band was tight and energetic. It was different than what I expected after listening to her most recent album, but different in a good way. I liked it quite a bit. Between the three member band and Courtney playing a left-handed Washburn guitar, I got real Nirvana vibes.

Sleater Kinney.....still isn't for me. I gave it a chance. I really did. Just not my cup of tea. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

My neighborhood of East Atlanta is historically the punk/bar venue capital in town. We just got a bigger/newish venue which is catering perfectly to my middle-aged parent demographic.

The Shins played last week.

Was going to get tickets for Interpol/Spoon next week. But now see Spoon isnt playing this show.

Going to try to see Ween in a couple weeks.

Clutch/Quicksand/Helmet is intriguing but probably wont make that

Father John Misty on a Friday, and then Pavement the next day, is a MUST in October.

Glad to have shows back!

• Like (+1) 2

Going to the Sacred Rose Fest in the Windy City this weekend but also added this show at historic Thalia Hall on Thurs, Aug 24.

A 50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION OF EUROPE '72 - SACRED ROSE PREPARTY

A 50th Anniversary Celebration of Europe 72 w/ Eric Krasno - Guitar / Vocals (Soulive) Aaron Magner - Keys (The Disco Biscuits) Ross James - Bass (Terrapin Family Band) Alex Koford - Drums / Vocals (Terrapin Family Band) Ric Robertson - Vocals/Guitar (Lucius/Oliver Wood) + other very specials guests

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Eagerly awaiting your review!!!

Man they were so good.  Really effin good.

Started out acoustic, almost like unplugged with everyone seated.  5 songs.  A couple were rare gems (Yellow Moon, Man of the Hour).  By the 6th song, the crowd was wanted to let loose and we got the perfect song for it - Given to Fly.  Eddie obviously knows how to hold a crowd, both musically and verbally.  He knew about Hamilton - the hockey team etc.  He knew about a member of their fan club who passed away recently.  He know about another who made the trip from Berlin cause it was on his birthday.  I doubt he does this sleuthing himself, but there must be someone whose job it is to prowl the social networks for this stuff.  He read people's signs, he scoped what PJ gear people were wearing.

One song (Sad) in the playlist hadn't been played live in 6 years.

They even flipped around and played a tune for the people sitting behind the stage.

The stage itself wasn't much, but the show ROCKED

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2022/firstontario-centre-hamilton-on-canada-13b08999.html

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, Gugny said:

I have always done whatever it took to avoid looking at setlists and any other kinds of spoilers.  I never understood why people want to know.

On that note, I am a strictly Waters-era Pink Floyd fan - including the Syd-era; so the Mason show sounds fantastic.  I'm heavily leaning toward going.

I saw Waters do the Wall at MSG back in 2010 and it was amazing.  That said, I never cared for his solo stuff, so I'm skipping this year's tour.  

Seeing a show at Red Rocks is something I'd love to do someday.

Red Rocks is on my list but...woman in the beer line today told me (I was complaining about the f'ing ticket master tax) that A draft beer was $17 there.   We paid 5 for bud light, 6 for better.

11 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Red Rocks is on my list but...woman in the beer line today told me (I was complaining about the f'ing ticket master tax) that A draft beer was $17 there.   We paid 5 for bud light, 6 for better.

We went to Red Rocks in 2019. I paid $10 for craft beer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

this is my weekend plans....really looking forward to Patti Smith, but there are a ton of other acts i look forward to seeing  @PromoTheRobot, you making an appearance?

https://xpnfest.org/

Nope. Works like to but too much going on here.  There are competing shows on the same night.

One show I'm going to see in November is the Legendary Pink Dots. They are a Dutch group that defy categories, have released 121 albums since 1981, and are likely on their last US tour. FYI they play Kung Fu Necktie in Philly Nov. 9.

This show is going to be at the Middle East club in Cambridge, just as legendary a music venue. It's been announced the club is being sold to a developer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legendary_Pink_Dots_discography

https://legendarypinkdots.org/tour-dates/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

@Gugny a few tips for anyone attending a show at Red Rocks amphitheter. Wear comfortable shoes. It is an uphill Climb into the venue. There are golfcarts  for those who aren't able to climb/walk that far

This next one is very important. Make sure you exit from the same place you entered. We made this mistake once and we had to walk all the way back up the incline,  go back inside the amphitheater , traverse it, to exit at correct side. It was at night and we messed up. It was a LOT

Bring binoculars and be prepared for an awesome experience. The stage sits at the bottom, red rock sides. The view behind the stage is amazing.  Oh My I saw some great shows there back in the 80's

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

This weekend Borderland Festival is in East Aurora. It's a surprisingly big festival with a good lineup that a lot of people in WNY may not know about (and as I just posted a thread about - Tasker and Christie will be there Sunday signing autographs).

https://borderlandfestival.com/

sched.jpg

Edited by FergusontoButler
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, FergusontoButler said:

This weekend Borderland Festival is in East Aurora. It's a surprisingly big festival with a good lineup that a lot of people in WNY may not know about (and as I just posted a thread about - Tasker and Christie will be there Sunday signing autographs).

sched.jpg

Flaming Lips it really the headliner here...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FergusontoButler said:

sched.jpg

Donna the Buffalo are a great jam band.  They were at the festival this weekend and crushing it.  The infamous string dusters are fun and good.  Have a blast!  Keller Williams has a great rep but never really hooked me.

Edited by redtail hawk

19 minutes ago, T&C said:

It seems like anyone can pull off a stadium tour these days.  Frusciante is back, so the demand is, too.  I was lucky enough to see them back in 2006 with Frusciante (I remember tickets cost me $41 for decent seats) at the Pepsi Arena (~19k seating) in Albany, so I'm good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.