Clarence Thomas IS conflicted

Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?

• Yes
    • No

What a couple of scum bags.

ProPublica cited a nine-day trip that Thomas and his wife, Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, took to Indonesia in 2019, shortly after the court released its final opinions of the term. That trip, which included flights on Crow’s jet and island-hopping on a superyacht, would have cost the couple more than $500,000, if they had paid for it themselves, the publication said.

16 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Trying to image the outrage if the exact same thing happened but it was Sonia Sotomayor going on trips paid for by George Soros…

Going on trips with George Soros?  While hard to believe they would be friends, I'd have no problem with it.   

11 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Trying to image the outrage if the exact same thing happened but it was Sonia Sotomayor going on trips paid for by George Soros…

Anyone who is being honest realizes that this type of thing goes on all the time in the higher strata of government. Those from both parties do it. If you don’t think so, you’re whistling past the graveyard. It doesn’t bother me because we are talking about a SC justice who understands the Constitution as written and wants to preserve it. The individual(s) in your example view the document as a merely a suggestion and no more than a speed bump on the road to destroying it - and our Nation. That’s a much more worrisome situation, so yeah I’d be upset about that. 

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Anyone who is being honest realizes that this type of thing goes on all the time in the higher strata of government. Those from both parties do it. If you don’t think so, you’re whistling past the graveyard. It doesn’t bother me because we are talking about a SC justice who understands the Constitution as written and wants to preserve it. The individual(s) in your example view the document as a merely a suggestion and no more than a speed bump on the road to destroying it - and our Nation. That’s a much more worrisome situation, so yeah I’d be upset about that. 

Do you think these people are giving this weirdo $500,000  trips cuz they think he's a swell guy?

Edited by redtail hawk

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Today I learned that some consider a Supreme Court Justice a politician.

Interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

Do you think these peopler are giving this weirdo $500,000 dollar trips cuz they think he's a swell guy?

Nope. However, this type of thing is common in Washington and isn’t going away anytime soon. Who is more dangerous ? Someone who sees something great and wants to preserve it as is ? Or someone who looks at something great and wants to tear it apart, “ re imagine it “ or fundamentally change it from its original state because they think they “ know better “ than its creators ? 

9 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Today I learned that some consider a Supreme Court Justice a politician.

Interesting. 

Democrats do , but we’ve known that. Some of them view themselves as legislators and that’s unfortunate. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope. However, this type of thing is common in Washington and isn’t going away anytime soon. Who is more dangerous ? Someone who sees something great and wants to preserve it as is ? Or someone who looks at something great and wants to tear it apart, “ re imagine it “ or fundamentally change it from its original state because they think they “ know better “ than its creators ? 

Democrats do , but we’ve known that. Some of them view themselves as legislators and that’s unfortunate. 

you mean like this?:

"The Constitution, the very First Amendment, prohibits having a religion in the government," Stahl said.

"Yet the Founding Fathers quoted the Bible constantly and were driven by their faith," Greene responded.

So I assume you disagree with the "Christian" nationalist view of gov't?  Yes or No?

We'll save the whole bribing  a dirty judge thing til another post.  one issue at a time.

Edited by redtail hawk

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you mean like this?:

"The Constitution, the very First Amendment, prohibits having a religion in the government," Stahl said.

"Yet the Founding Fathers quoted the Bible constantly and were driven by their faith," Greene responded.

So I assume you disagree with the "Christian" nationalist view of gov't?  Yew or No?

I am an atheist.  However,  what was cited here does not mean that our government must consist only of atheists. A Yew is a type of tree. No means well, No. 

12 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Do you think these people are giving this weirdo $500,000  trips cuz they think he's a swell guy?

Yes, Clarence Thomas can't have friends.  Because he's a "weirdo."  LOL!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, Clarence Thomas can't have friends.  Because he's a "weirdo."  LOL!

Sure, my friends lend me a kayak and take me on a float trip fishing.  His "friends" spend $500000 and expect nothing in return.   Just value his company so much. Moron.

Edited by redtail hawk

29 minutes ago, B-Man said:

It prohibits the establishment of a "State Religion"

it does not prohibit religion in government. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but you knew that.. . . . . . . . . . . . . wait a minute, maybe you didn't.

Clarence Thomas is allowed to have rich friends, you can claim influence peddling from here to tomorrow but you cannot show anything,

but that Justice Thomas has always been a strict constructist when it comes to the constitutions.

But please, go on with your silly innuendos.

uh huh.  Why aren't you fascists just open about your agendas?  Why are you hiding?  Just take the damn hoods off.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/09/21/most-republicans-support-declaring-the-united-states-a-christian-nation-00057736

Overall, 62 percent of respondents said they opposed such a declaration, including 83 percent of Democrats and 39 percent of Republicans. Fully 61 percent of Republicans supported declaring the United States a Christian nation. In other words, even though over half of Republicans previously said such a move would be unconstitutional, a majority of GOP voters would still support this declaration.

Edited by redtail hawk

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Sure, my friends lend me a kayak and take me on a float trip fishing.  His "friends" spend $500000 and expect nothing in return.   Just value his company so much. Moron.

Makes a fool out of me too. I'm no fan of his wife's political activities, which seem: (1) insane; (2) ridiculously ill-advised given her husband's job.

But I have defended him as a Justice based on his adherence to a particular view of the law  (even though its not my view) - an steadfast adherence that sometimes has led him to split ranks with the standard Republican position. And I also believed his thing about loving the common man's RVing, Walmart parking vacations instead of the wining and dining his colleagues get when they go to Europe to "teach" a summer class for 6 weeks.

So much for the Last of The Regular Guys in Washington meme.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

It’s good to have wealthy friends. 500k to them is like a couple of nice high end dinners out for most. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s good to have wealthy friends. 500k to them is like a couple of nice high end dinners out for most. 

not in my experience.  Wealthy people usually spend money to advance their own ends.  

They didn't get rich (or stay rich) giving things away indiscriminately.

These people are very likely not friends.  They are biz associates.

I suspect ole uncle Tom and his homely wife don't have many good friends.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

not in my experience.  Wealthy people usually spend money to advance their own ends.  

Your views do not prove anything, and I doubt anyone cares.

If there is some evidence of inappropriate behavior or anything related to suggested bribery, so state.

If not, shut up.

Your views on the rich are meaningless.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Lol…so  some drivel in a lefty “ news” publication = “ most “ Republicans ? So laughable it’s not worth mentioning. 

10 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I suspect ole uncle Tom and his homely wife don't have many good friends.

If someone does their job in a way that produces little to no radical change to something , is an agenda being advanced ?