Stefon Diggs Tweet...What you make of it?

Lost

4 hours ago, Westside said:

He’s not going anywhere. He still has two years left on his contract.

It's a good thing no one has ever thought to not play and hold out because they don't like their current deal.

Also a very good thing Stefon Diggs doesn't have a history of posting cryptic things on social media, causing issues behind the scenes, and ultimately forcing the team he was on to trade him.

... oh, wait.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

NFL contracts are weird and I don’t understand why the players keep agreeing to them. But unless it’s “fully guaranteed” it’s not really guaranteed. 

If you read “$50 million guaranteed” it doesn’t actually mean fully guaranteed. There are different types of guaranteed money. Could just be injury guarantees. If it’s just injury guarantees he can be released without getting that money.

it's part of the CBA, they don't have much choice

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nothing in the CBA says you can’t sign fully guaranteed contracts.

A lot of people believe the Watson contract changed the league. We’ll see.

They said the same about Cousins. You're right about CBA not saying you can't sign guaranteed contracts. Try getting owners to offer them. 

24 minutes ago, nucci said:

They said the same about Cousins. You're right about CBA not saying you can't sign guaranteed contracts. Try getting owners to offer them. 

Actually did a little reading and you’re right, there is a rule that stops owners from doing fully guaranteed contracts. I guess they have to pay the money upfront to the league because of rule from the 60’s. They’re allowed to do them but it’s not something a lot of owners can do.

When the Cleveland Browns guaranteed every dollar in the mega-contract they gave Deshaun Watson, the rest of the league will soon want to follow. The Watson contract was a breakthrough for agents; it became their Independence Day, their Tea Party, their victory at Gettysburg. For more than 50 years, agents have fought for players to receive fully guaranteed money, and all they heard when demanding a fully guaranteed deal was a loud “no.”  NFL teams hide behind the league’s funding laws enacted during the early 1960s, which protected players so teams didn’t default on their promises, yet it served as a huge benefit for the owners. It was kryptonite for any agent seeking fully guaranteed money.  No owner wanted to change the rule, regardless of the income streams. Instead, it served as a blockade for fully guaranteed deals and prevented the NFL from looking like MLB and the NBA. 

In practical terms here is how the funding law works as it relates to Watson. Watson signed a five-year deal at $230 million.  He received $44.9 million as a signing bonus, and his salary for 2023-2026 will be $46 million each year, with every nickel fully guaranteed for skill and injury.  Therefore, the Browns had to write a check to Watson, depending on the payout for $44.9 million upon signing and then send a check to the NFL offices next March for $138 million, to ensure the 2024-2026 seasons are paid.  Normally NFL teams don’t have that much cash laying around, as they rely on the television money which begins each August to handle their payrolls and free agent commitments. 

https://www.vsin.com/lombardi-why-deshaun-watsons-contract-is-so-important-plus-my-thoughts-on-atlanta-and-indy/

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's a good thing no one has ever thought to not play and hold out because they don't like their current deal.

Also a very good thing Stefon Diggs doesn't have a history of posting cryptic things on social media, causing issues behind the scenes, and ultimately forcing the team he was on to trade him.

... oh, wait.

Keep worrying about things you have no control over. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone agree with me on this? The Bills have a deep threat and it’s Stefon Diggs? They just don’t use it enough? Also maybe coverage doesn’t allow it.

Now I’m hoping we draft a WR that can take safety attention away from Diggs.

In Minnesota they used him much more as a deep threat. The Bills use him as a coverage beater first and foremost. 

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yep. This is getting increasingly scary. I doubt Trevon is just posting this as a random thought. Give the man an extension and some money up front with an out after a few seasons. He's too important to what we're currently building for him to be unhappy or ask for a trade.

A bit too willy-nilly for me. 

14 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Yup, if they want to give us a haul like KC got from Miami, I'll drive Diggs to the airport. It's just business.

He can get his own ride. It’s just GOOD business. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes….I’m sure he’s not happy though considering what some of these guys are getting paid…

Options:

1) Get paid a lot w/ best chance to win a Lombardi

2) Get paid a lot more w/ much less chance to win a Lombardi 

What’s your choice?

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Diggs for Micah Parsons…?

Joking, guys, it’d never happen.

Dallas has done some dumb things, but this?

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone agree with me on this? The Bills have a deep threat and it’s Stefon Diggs? They just don’t use it enough? Also maybe coverage doesn’t allow it.

Now I’m hoping we draft a WR that can take safety attention away from Diggs.

Gabe sends his best 

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nothing in the CBA says you can’t sign fully guaranteed contracts.

A lot of people believe the Watson contract changed the league. We’ll see.

He definitely set the blueprint for how to get a 7 million dollar yearly raise and about 130 million more in guaranteed money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.