NFL Scheduling Note re: Primetime games

corta765

This is the first time I have seen this, Peter King Confirmed this morning that at the start of the NFL season a team is allowed to be in up to 6 primetime games with the prospect of being flexed into a 7th. This does not count 4pm marquee games.

It is in his Football Morning In America column if you care to look:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/14/nfl-trade-free-agency-tom-brady-unretire-fmia-peter-king/

I know that is a common question when we get to schedule time.

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This is the first time I have seen this, Peter King Confirmed this morning that at the start of the NFL season a team is allowed to be in up to 6 primetime games with the prospect of being flexed into a 7th. This does not count 4pm marquee games.

It is in his Football Morning In America column if you care to look:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/14/nfl-trade-free-agency-tom-brady-unretire-fmia-peter-king/

I know that is a common question when we get to schedule time.

Schedule usually comes out around the 3rd week in April. While I know the Bills will get their share of primetime games I still prefer the 1:00 games best.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Schedule usually comes out around the 3rd week in April. While I know the Bills will get their share of primetime games I still prefer the 1:00 games best.

Oh yea for sure, just know a lot of people wonder how many primetimers you actually can have. I am fine with 3-4 so its maybe 1 a month.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

One Thursday, 2 Sunday Nighters and one Monday night is my expectation. 

I wonder how many of them will be at home? Last year the Bills had four primetime games but three were on the road if I remember correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I wonder how many of them will be at home? Last year the Bills had four primetime games but three were on the road if I remember correctly.

I think the NFL has seen what a Buffalo primetime home game looks like with Josh at the helm. They will want to bring that madness to prime time a few times a year. We’re just too damn likeable.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think the NFL has seen what a Buffalo primetime home game looks like with Josh at the helm. They will want to bring that madness to prime time a few times a year. We’re just too damn likeable.

For weather purposes lets hope they do it in Sept/Oct.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

With Rodgers back with GB the home schedule is more appetizing for night as you got GB/NE/TEN plus CLE/PIT always seem to be in the running for games. The road schedule I think is still superior for which gets primetime as you got LAR/CIN/BAL/NE/KC plus CHI who seems to always get a million night games.

My guess right now is five primetime games with 2 home and 3 away:

Home: GB -SNF 

TEN - MNF

Away: NE-MNF 

CIN-TNF

LAR- SNF

KC will be a 4:25 game I think as I could see CBS/FOX wanting it for their main afternoon marquee game after two years of the game being at night. The TV companies fight like lions for those marquee games and I can easily see after two years of it being a night game it going to a 4 pm spot. Baltimore I could also see as a 4pm game too.

48 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

and hopefully some games early in the season, when the weather is okay! 

22 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

We are playing @ Detroit on Thanksgiving Day

That would be three T-Day's in a row. Not sure that will happen. The NFL doesn't seem to mind having Detroit playing a crappy team as most people watch that game with one eye while preparing dinner with the other.

Plus, with FOX and CBS now getting a small package of games they normally wouldn't show (CBS=AFC, FOX=NFC), I don't think we can just assume Detroit's T-Day game will be against an AFC East opponent.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, Beast said:

That would be three T-Day's in a row. Not sure that will happen. The NFL doesn't seem to mind having Detroit playing a crappy team as most people watch that game with one eye while preparing dinner with the other.

Plus, with FOX and CBS now getting a small package of games they normally wouldn't show (CBS=AFC, FOX=NFC), I don't think we can just assume Detroit's T-Day game will be against an AFC East opponent.

Yeah, Jacksonville has never played on Thankgiving. They might put them on against Detroit, given the young QB, but still a crappy team idea.

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

May now. They moved it to after the draft...so they get PR all of April leading to the draft, and then half of May leading up to the schedule release. June they get OTAS and minicamps...July TC....NFL doings every month now!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Buffalo played on thanksgiving in 2019 and 2021.  They draw an audience.  The Cowboys game was one of the most watched games on thanksgiving.   I wouldn’t be surprised if the slot them against the Lions this year.   

• Simon changed the title to NFL Scheduling Note re: Primetime games
4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Last year think it was something like May 12th?  Not sure if it was delayed due to Covid issues or are they just getting later with it??

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Last year think it was something like May 12th?  Not sure if it was delayed due to Covid issues or are they just getting later with it??

Yep May 12th. Reason release was backed up was so they could build schedule factoring in draft additions. The NFL is trying to maximize its TV schedule and by always do schedule prior to draft they would lose out on potential better TV matchups. While I wish it was back in April like before, I get it and it beats the days we got Titans Jags on TNF just because.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Yep May 12th. Reason release was backed up was so they could build schedule factoring in draft additions. The NFL is trying to maximize its TV schedule and by always do schedule prior to draft they would lose out on potential better TV matchups. While I wish it was back in April like before, I get it and it beats the days we got Titans Jags on TNF just because.

OK so then from now on will be in May.  Add into that seems like Draft is drifting backwards every year too.  Pretty soon schedule will be announced on 4th of July!

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so then from now on will be in May.  Add into that seems like Draft is drifting backwards every year too.  Pretty soon schedule will be announced on 4th of July!

The draft has been late april for a few years now. The NFL's goal is to make football every month and they basically are there now:

Jan-Playoffs

Feb- SB

Mar- Combine/free agency

Apr- Draft

May- Schedule

June- Blank

July- Camps

August- Preseason

Sept-Dec - Regular season

Outside of June they have every month covered and June historically is NBA/NHL finals so eyes are focused more there anyway

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

The draft has been late april for a few years now. The NFL's goal is to make football every month and they basically are there now:

Jan-Playoffs

Feb- SB

Mar- Combine/free agency

Apr- Draft

May- Schedule

June- Blank

July- Camps

August- Preseason

Sept-Dec - Regular season

Outside of June they have every month covered and June historically is NBA/NHL finals so eyes are focused more there anyway

C'mon, man, June has the OTAs!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.