Bucs Pro Bowl G Ali Marpet retiring at age 28

YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I played a little bit in HS and yes the postion seemed mundane and not glamorous but the feeling of holding out players from the QB and watching them get frustrated + blocking well for runs was very very satisfying IF and i mean big IF you are good at it. Very very fun.

I appreciate the OL perspective.  As a DB, I always felt sorry for those guys…

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Let’s face it: It can’t be much fun playing offensive line in the NFL. 

It is when you made as much coin as he did, and retired at the ripe old age of twenty-eight, talk about leveraging one’s strengths ,

Just now, Don Otreply said:

It is when you made as much coin as he did, and retired at the ripe old age of twenty-eight, talk about leveraging one’s strengths ,

But that’s the point…as soon as he made enough money that he didn’t have to do it any more, he quit.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

But that’s the point…as soon as he made enough money that he didn’t have to do it any more, he quit.

Yup, smart guy, laughing all the way to the bank,  he retired a multi millionaire, at the age of 28, that’s  the freaking American dream right there. 

• Like (+1) 3

Good for him. He has a long life ahead of him and lots of money in the bank to live it with.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. The minute I am financially secure enough to retire, I'm doing it. I get my joy from spending time with my wife and kids, traveling, hobbies, and learning. Can't wait till I can do those things full time, and I hope I'm not an old geezer with a broken body by the time that happens.

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, Beerball said:

You must be much younger than I am @Doc 😂

You're probably not much older than I am, and I'm with him.

Give me a long-term window like the one we've got now.

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yup.

He didn't retire from life. Just from football.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Good for him.  He wasn’t going to be a HoFer.  He has a SB.  He has generational wealth.  He’s capped out, the only thing to gain at this point is more generational wealth.  Enjoy your life, **** work

And whatever he has to gain will come at some physical cost. Probably he's reached the point of diminishing returns.

As most of us seem to understand an NFL player pays a price for each year he plays. There's that hidden cost.

Also, I'm gonna bet that Marpet doesn't end up bankrupt and broke. Just a hunch. What's the point of playing more years and making more money if you never learn how to save and invest?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

28 years old with over 30 million in the bank and retired.  What a life man.

I ran projections through a Financial Planning software program I have.  

Using the traditional 4% withdrawal rate…carry the 1…8% average return…diversified portfolio…dividend performance…5% in crypto (duh)….you have to plug in inflation figures…bah bah bah…he’s 28…life expectancy, let’s put in 60 years….ipso facto…

I like what I’m seeing, but would definitely recommend he make no deposits in risky ventures like Russian Banks or any of the Kardashian sisters. 

Hey, good for him!

For comparison: the Bills made Jim Kelly the highest paid NFL player in history at one point. Kelly played for 11 years, and made a total of around $28 million in his NFL career. 

Sidenote: Spotrac is a lot of fun to look at with old contracts. check out some of the star players from back in the day... Keep in mind money started to go up quickly in the later 90's/early 2000's

Career earnings/total years/years played

Jim Kelly: $28 million (11 years), 1986-1996

Joe Montana $25.5 million (14 years), 1979-1994

Barry Sanders $33.7 million (10 years), 1989-1998 

Troy Aikman $55 million (12 years), 1989-2000

Thurman Thomas $23.6 million (13 years), 1988-2000

Bruce Smith $46 million (19 years), 1985-2003

Marpet made over $37 million in 7 seasons as a guard!

We're going to see a lot more of this: guys retiring younger because they are set for life and then some early on. I say good for them; we're always told how the NFL is a business and that works both ways. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

You are going to see more and more of this in the NFL in the coming years in terms of good young players riding off into the sunset during their prime for several reasons:

1) Not wanting to have long term health effects

2) Contracts are getting more absurd every year and if the player is smart he'll never have to work again after a first big FA contract or extension that usually comes in the mid 20's.

3) Feeling of accomplishment and closure for guys that win a championship before the age of 30.

This is also why you can't look at teams like the bills and chiefs and assume they are going to be great for the next 10+ years because they will see similar attrition and players hanging it up early if they climb to the top of the mountain (chiefs already have done this once).

I don't have a strong opinion on this. 

"Well bye..." Sorta sums it up. 

That being said, I'm not real on board with the "you go girl" vibe from some folks. I don't get "respecting" his decision off hand, though I "respect" he has the ability to walk. 

If this guy was a Bill, walking out on his deal we'd likely sing another tune. 

For me, it would depend on why and what he was going to do after. Hopefully he's got a plan because that's a lot of money he's walking from. I believe family is well off and kid comes from a fairly $ area -Hastings in NYC area. Heard he was a good, smart, kid but also a frat boy type.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2022 at 6:02 PM, FilthyBeast said:

You are going to see more and more of this in the NFL in the coming years in terms of good young players riding off into the sunset during their prime for several reasons:

1) Not wanting to have long term health effects

2) Contracts are getting more absurd every year and if the player is smart he'll never have to work again after a first big FA contract or extension that usually comes in the mid 20's.

3) Feeling of accomplishment and closure for guys that win a championship before the age of 30.

This is also why you can't look at teams like the bills and chiefs and assume they are going to be great for the next 10+ years because they will see similar attrition and players hanging it up early if they climb to the top of the mountain (chiefs already have done this once).

They said the same thing after Chris Borland retired in 2015, after his rookie season.  Didn't happen.

I think "we'll see more of this" equates to it happening here and there as opposed to basically never. 

Plenty of players in Marpet's situation love playing, know they can earn another 50 million or so easily over the next few years, and don't want to stop. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.