Just saying... Jim Schwartz is out there looking for DC job

tomur67

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

No we aren’t playing Sunday.  Maybe if we had home field advantage we find a way to win.  If they beat the Jags or the Titans we could have been the 1 seed.  Allen was terrible against the Jags and slipped on 4th down against the Titans.  All we needed was 1 yard. Let’s get rid of him too.

s@@t happens.  A lot more good than bad with defense over the past few years.  Frazier isn’t going anywhere, so you want to hop off the train?

Home field had nothing to do with it. Allen led the Bills on what should have been a game winning drive in Arrowhead. 13 seconds of piss poor defense and coaching is what cost the Bills a chance to play in the Super Bowl. At the very least they would have been in the AFCCG. Home or road was completely meaningless at that point. 13 effin seconds.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Well yeah that one game should be weighed more than games against Mike White or Trevor Simemen

Add whatever weight you want to it. It doesn’t invalidate the defense’s rank and it doesn’t make other posters “delusional” for pointing it out. Statistics aren’t invalidated just because the season ended on a sour note. Not how math works.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

No we aren’t playing Sunday.  Maybe if we had home field advantage we find a way to win.  If they beat the Jags or the Titans we could have been the 1 seed.  Allen was terrible against the Jags and slipped on 4th down against the Titans.  All we needed was 1 yard. Let’s get rid of him too.

s@@t happens.  A lot more good than bad with defense over the past few years.  Frazier isn’t going anywhere, so you want to hop off the train?

If bear s@@t happens in the woods does it still small like troll dung?

Back to subject in hand if Bills want to sign Jim Schwartz as a Senior defense assistant I would have no objection and Pegulas likely wouldn't considering payroll they already foot. Counterpoints to defense plans would not hurt.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:06 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

With the current environment there is no way the Bills could fire Frazier after his defense was ranked #1, even if that ranking was questionable.

I don't think any would disagree with you... which leads to an interesting point... 

Imagine for a second we wanted Fangio for DC. I think very few here would disagree that'd be a huge upgrade.

Not being able to do that in this climate, would suck... and the drawback to that I'd, if Leslie were white, it'd be something you could do no hesitation, without a peep.

One of the problems with asking people to hire based on race, is now, if you have to evenly qualified guys, do you take the white guy? Because you can do as you please. If you have a black coach or coordinator, it's going to force you into not making an upgrade as you see fit.

.... which is again, not a good thing for getting hired If you're a black dude

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't think any would disagree with you... which leads to an interesting point... 

Imagine for a second we wanted Fangio for DC. I think very few here would disagree that'd be a huge upgrade.

Not being able to do that in this climate, would suck... and the drawback to that I'd, if Leslie were white, it'd be something you could do no hesitation, without a peep.

One of the problems with asking people to hire based on race, is now, if you have to evenly qualified guys, do you take the white guy? Because you can do as you please. If you have a black coach or coordinator, it's going to force you into not making an upgrade as you see fit.

The NFL is asking people to interview people based upon race.

Since most of the hires made this off-season have been white guys, the answer is apparently "yes"

I don't think Hell would stop McDermott from making an upgrade if he felt it were appropriate or needed

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Home field had nothing to do with it. Allen led the Bills on what should have been a game winning drive in Arrowhead. 13 seconds of piss poor defense and coaching is what cost the Bills a chance to play in the Super Bowl. At the very least they would have been in the AFCCG. Home or road was completely meaningless at that point. 13 effin seconds.

I think the point about homefield (and indeed, a general point) is that if the Bills could have played better earlier in the game, perhaps it doesn't come down to 13 seconds.

The Bills punted 4 times.  The Chiefs punted twice, and had a missed FG and 2 FG.  If they punt one more time and the Bills punt one less time, maybe it's not a game that can be tied with a field goal in 13 seconds. 

Could homefield advantage help swing that?  Who knows, but having to work on a silent count and not hear yourself think is typically regarded as a handicap for an offense, and having the energy of the home crowd behind you is typically regarded as a benefit for the defense.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:51 PM, FarrellsFinest said:

We just had the number 1 def. There is no pleasing some people.

13 seconds

Frazier has become the "scapegoat"

The bottom line is, McDermott called timeouts after both plays.  He was certainly in the loop and may have been involved in the play calling.  He's not the man to scapegoat someone when he shares responsibility.

I seem to remember when Schwartz was our DC and we had the #4 overall defense, people on this board complaining that we really weren't that good, who did we play, we got gouged on the ground a handful of times, we gave up close to or over 400 yds twice, etc etc.

People have highly selective memories

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The NFL is asking people to interview people based upon race.

Since most of the hires made this off-season have been white guys, the answer is apparently "yes"

I don't think Hell would stop McDermott from making an upgrade if he felt it were appropriate or needed

I think the point about homefield (and indeed, a general point) is that if the Bills could have played better earlier in the game, perhaps it doesn't come down to 13 seconds.

The Bills punted 4 times.  The Chiefs punted twice, and had a missed FG and 2 FG.  If they punt one more time and the Bills punt one less time, maybe it's not a game that can be tied with a field goal in 13 seconds. 

Could homefield advantage help swing that?  Who knows, but having to work on a silent count and not hear yourself think is typically regarded as a handicap for an offense, and having the energy of the home crowd behind you is typically regarded as a benefit for the defense.

That's possible with regards to playing better overall with homefield. I just think the Bills and Chiefs are two evenly matched teams and the game would have come down to the end no matter where it was played. Bottom line in this case is 36-33 with 13 seconds left and KC at their own 25. You should win that 100% of the time in that situation.

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

That's possible with regards to playing better overall with homefield. I just think the Bills and Chiefs are two evenly matched teams and the game would have come down to the end no matter where it was played. Bottom line in this case is 36-33 with 13 seconds left and KC at their own 25. You should win that 100% of the time in that situation.

No quarrel there

Its an interesting thing to discuss but it would never happen for a number of reasons. 1. Frazier wasnt hired (so there is no opening, 2. The current racial controversy over Flores makes firing Frazier and his racial background a loaded decision, 3. It would take huge cojones to fire Frazier after a Number 1 defensive rating (no matter how suspect it was 4. Schwartz has a different defensive style than what is here, just to name a few.  Its also a good question to ask if Schwartz is much of an upgrade and if we are seeing that defense (in St.Doug's time) as better than it was.  In addition another angle that I always thought was interesting with Schwartz is how beloved he was with his defense (to the point where they hilariously carried him on their shoulders after the Detroit game) and how that dynamic made things awkward with Marrone who was probably not popular with many of his players. I cannot see McD being cool enough to allow a Coach under his wing to get that kind of attention.  Is Schwartz better than Frazier, I think he is, but that just isnt happening here right now.

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Add whatever weight you want to it. It doesn’t invalidate the defense’s rank and it doesn’t make other posters “delusional” for pointing it out. Statistics aren’t invalidated just because the season ended on a sour note. Not how math works.

I didn’t call you delusional but if you dont know by now that stats are for losers; i dont know what tell to you.

Edited by uticaclub

On 2/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, TheBrownBear said:

We just gave up 552 yards to the Chiefs in the biggest game of the year.  There are no limits to some people's delusions.

Note that our performance against KC was the 10th worst in NFL playoff history.

This alone is reason enough to have fired Frazier by now, at least that is what a franchise with true championship aspirations what have done.

At this point though if McDermott truly wants to seal his long term fate in Buffalo and stay attached to Frazier good for him because the irony is there won't be a long term future for them here unless the Pegula's are truly oblivious to the reality around them.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

NFLPA should just get a rule passed that for safety sake team will switch to Madden if odds calculated are 100%.

100% means someone does not take into account of many factors including zebra bias and pressure to have competitive games so do not make some calls.

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This alone is reason enough to have fired Frazier by now, at least that is what a franchise with true championship aspirations what have done.

At this point though if McDermott truly wants to seal his long term fate in Buffalo and stay attached to Frazier good for him because the irony is there won't be a long term future for them here unless the Pegula's are truly oblivious to the reality around them.

Championship teams don't fire the coordinator of their number one ranked offense or defense because of the outcome of two drives against one of the most capable teams in the league.

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

NFLPA should just get a rule passed that for safety sake team will switch to Madden if odds calculated are 100%.

100% means someone does not take into account of many factors including zebra bias and pressure to have competitive games so do not make some calls.

Ok then 99.9999%. Bottom line you shouldn't lose in that spot.

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I didn’t call you delusional but if you dont know by now that stats are for losers; i dont know what tell to you.

very cute. Did you get that quip from a pickup truck bumper sticker or somewhere else? Imagine being so intellectually insecure you have to insult numbers. 😬

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The whole situation is so difficult.  I have no doubt racial bias certainly exists in the NFL as well as society.  I am not sure there is an adequate was to legislate that away. 

Requiring minority interviews is a joke.   Also, socialially shaming teams from making moves that would strengthing the coaching staff is equally ridiculous. 

Hopefully this will eventually correct itsself as society gradually becomes color blind.  In the short term, not sure what the solution is.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

very cute. Did you get that quip from a pickup truck bumper sticker or somewhere else? Imagine being so intellectually insecure you have to insult numbers. 😬

Or I've taken statistic classes and know numbers can easily be manipulated. If you saw our defenses complete body of work and still think “yeah, that's the best defense in football. #1!” then I don't know what to say.

We played a game where the other team didn't throw the ball. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

99.9% chance he read it on a bathroom stall wall.

Mel Kiper’s analysis of Josh Allen

Edited by uticaclub

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If bear s@@t happens in the woods does it still small like troll dung?

Back to subject in hand if Bills want to sign Jim Schwartz as a Senior defense assistant I would have no objection and Pegulas likely wouldn't considering payroll they already foot. Counterpoints to defense plans would not hurt.

We’ll see if McD agrees with you.   But after watching him all these years nothing suggests he’s doing that.

13 hours ago, Greg S said:

The point was that good players and coaches make mistakes or have bad spells.  No reason to get rid of them.  Learn, adjust and do better next time.

13 hours ago, Draconator said:

Oh Nostradamus. Just because I pointed out a critical flaw that lost us the game, you automatically think I want to get rid of Frazier. He is a damn good coach. 

But because you are all knowing, all seeing, can I have your lottery numbers for tonight's Powerball?

This thread is full of people who want to get rid of Frazier based on the 13 seconds.  I assumed you were one.  My apologies to you.  

And no, get your own numbers for the Powerball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.