Bills interviewing Raiders WR coach Edgar Bennett for OC

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the teams can no longer block a promotion to coordinator with another team.

Any other assistant, it can be "you're under contract, Sorry"

That's not to say that the Bills wouldn't release someone for a move they perceive as a development opportunity, but my point is it's not like Daboll gets to sit there looking at the Bills assistant coaches like a Chinese menu he can select from for any position.

This

Right but McDermott I think but in my opinion would talk to the coaches first. He wouldn't block them if they want to leave.  But IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The bills are definitely doing due diligence for if daboll raids the bills staff 

Right . It is good to do due diligence 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the teams can no longer block a promotion to coordinator with another team.

That's not to say that the Bills wouldn't release someone for a move they perceive as a development opportunity, but my point is it's not like Daboll gets to sit there looking at the Bills assistant coaches like a Chinese menu he can select from for any position.

McD has let a few other assistant coaches take promotions elsewhere. I doubt he’d block guys unless it he either didn’t see an available upgrade or Daboll was basically raiding the staff. In any case, Bennett would be a nice addition to the staff if he’s stuck floating after the Raiders hired McDaniels. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right but McDermott I think but in my opinion would talk to the coaches first. He wouldn't block them if they want to leave.  But IMO. 

Right . It is good to do due diligence 

My point is, these Giants guys (and others) don't seem to have the memo that the NFL rule change applied to COORDINATOR POSITIONS.

So Bobby Johnson could interview as Daboll's offensive coordinator, and the Bills couldn't block it.

But Daboll does not get to bring up the list of assistant coaches and say "I'll have Chad Hall as my WR coach and Bobby Johnson as my OL coach and and and...." 

It could still happen, if the Bills bring in a new OC who wants to bring in some of his own assistants, OR if, as you say, McDermott talks to the coaches and decides to let them go.

But it's the Bills choice

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892442-report-nfl-owners-ban-blocking-assistants-from-interviewing-for-oc-dc-jobs

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The bills are definitely doing due diligence for if daboll raids the bills staff 

That might be a realistic point.

Generally, I don't get why this board is going crazy.  Let OBD do their job and wait to see what happens.

Probably too much to ask.

Nobody knows what's going on behind closed doors.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

McD has let a few other assistant coaches take promotions elsewhere. I doubt he’d block guys unless it he either didn’t see an available upgrade or Daboll was basically raiding the staff. In any case, Bennett would be a nice addition to the staff if he’s stuck floating after the Raiders hired McDaniels. 

Has he?  Who?

Bill Teerlinck did a lateral move (maybe a step down) from Bills DL coach to VT DL coach, but it was commonly believed he allowed Teerlinck the "face saving" step of taking a new job vs. firing him to make room for Eric Washington, who had just lost his coaching job with the Panthers.  Similar "face saving" with David Culley taking a more-or-less lateral move to "assistant head coach, passing game coordinator, and WR coach" to bring in Ken Dorsey

McDermott fired Rick Dennison after the 2017 season and "Teflon" Juan Castillo after the 2018 season.  He fired Terry Robiskie after one season in 2018.

I'm trying to think of who else has left? 

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

I can see Daboll trying to take the entire offensive staff with him it’s literally the only place he’s ever been successful as an OC 

He Can't.  Beane and McDermott are not going to allow this, and he can only hire one OC and one DC.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Has he?  Who?

Bill Teerlinck did a lateral move (maybe a step down) from Bills DL coach to VT DL coach, but it was commonly believed he allowed Teerlinck the "face saving" step of taking a new job vs. firing him to make room for Eric Washington, who had just lost his coaching job with the Panthers.  Similar "face saving" with David Culley taking a more-or-less lateral move to "assistant head coach, passing game coordinator, and WR coach" to bring in Ken Dorsey

McDermott fired Rick Dennison after the 2017 season and "Teflon" Juan Castillo after the 2018 season.  He fired Terry Robiskie after one season in 2018.

I'm trying to think of who else has left? 

He Can't.  Beane and McDermott are not going to allow this, and he can only hire one OC and one DC.

I’m just saying I can see him trying as about a month ago people wanted Bobby Johnson run out of town 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is the quote correct, or is the quote not correct?

Depends on the situation….and see the oline during the Jaguars game where we made the other Josh Allen look like Lawrence Taylor 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Depends on the situation….and see the oline during the Jaguars game where we made the other Josh Allen look like Lawrence Taylor 

And it was Marv Levy who started that 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Quit pining for Palmer, folks - the man wants to live in a beach house in S. Cali and give Zoom interviews, not work hectic 100-112 hr weeks in less salubrius settings for 5 or (hopefully) 6 months a year with intense scrutiny and accountability every week

And josh couldn’t work with him as much in the off-season if he was on staff.  That’s important, too. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfanatixs said:

I am not trying to be racist, but isn't league rule that you have to interview non-white people for all coaching jobs? Hard to say such things without sounding racist, I assure you all that it's not my intent.

I believe it only applies to Head Coaching positions, and as of the 2020 off-season, co-ordinators

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.