Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer To Retire

Tiberius

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

What a ridiculous response, the debate is whether it is right or wrong. It did not end the day he was elected anymore than anything Trump did ended the day he was elected. You act as if people voting for him gives Carte Blanche.

Color me shocked a politician is going to do something he says he’s going to do.

I don’t like it and think the job should go to the best qualified liberal judge. Just like I didn’t like when Trump said he would pick a woman (something I don’t believe he even ran saying he would do)

But yes, voting for someone who says they will do something gives that person carte Blanche to do the thing he said he would do prior to you voting for him.

4 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Color me shocked a politician is going to do something he says he’s going to do.

I don’t like it and think the job should go to the best qualified liberal judge. Just like I didn’t like when Trump said he would pick a woman (something I don’t believe he even ran saying he would do)

But yes, voting for someone who says they will do something gives that person carte Blanche to do the thing he said he would do prior to you voting for him.

When I vote I go for the lessor of two evils each time, no politician really represents me, therefore my vote is not Carte Blanche. Did you believe everyone who voted for Trump were happy with all of his stances? 

49 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

You held the same stance in the Amy Comey Barrett debacle where Trump said he would pick a woman. And I agree that we shouldn’t pick a Justice based on factors other than their qualifications.

The only reason I give pause here is when Biden ran for President one of his promises was he would select a black woman for the Supreme Court if he had the chance. The American voters knew this and elected him with the greatest number of votes possible.

So a vast majority of US people knew this would happen and voted in record numbers for it. If people objected to it, more people would have voted against Biden.

Why not a woman, after picking 2 men?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Why not a woman, after picking 2 men?

It seems like it’s the same issue people are having here with Biden fulfilling a campaign promise. Trump picked someone solely due to their sex. After RBG passed his quote was “it will be a woman” If the most qualified person was a woman then that’s fine, but to narrow your scope before picking is a disservice.

Its not something Trump ran on. So when you voted for Trump you didn’t know he would pick a Justice not based on qualification.

Here Biden said what he would do and he’s doing it.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When I vote I go for the lessor of two evils each time, no politician really represents me, therefore my vote is not Carte Blanche. Did you believe everyone who voted for Trump were happy with all of his stances? 

Trump says he will build a wall. If you don’t support a wall and you vote for him, don’t be surprised when he tries to build a wall.

Same here. Everyone that voted for Biden knew his stance on a Supreme Court Justice and he’s fulfilling his promise.

13 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

It seems like it’s the same issue people are having here with Biden fulfilling a campaign promise. Trump picked someone solely due to their sex. After RBG passed his quote was “it will be a woman” If the most qualified person was a woman then that’s fine, but to narrow your scope before picking is a disservice.

Its not something Trump ran on. So when you voted for Trump you didn’t know he would pick a Justice not based on qualification.

Here Biden said what he would do and he’s doing it.

Again, it was Trump's 3rd SCOTUS pick, not his first.  And he picked 2 guys before her.  It makes complete sense that it would be a woman.  But he didn't specify race. 

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

You held the same stance in the Amy Comey Barrett debacle where Trump said he would pick a woman. And I agree that we shouldn’t pick a Justice based on factors other than their qualifications.

The only reason I give pause here is when Biden ran for President one of his promises was he would select a black woman for the Supreme Court if he had the chance. The American voters knew this and eleced him with the greatest number of votes possible.

So a vast majority of US people knew this would happen and voted in record numbers for it. If people objected to it, more people would have voted against Biden.

So you're saying one of the main reasons people voted for Biden is because he promised to nominate a black Supreme Court Justice?  Holy Smokin' Joe Frazier!  I think your Chef spiked your tacos last night. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you're saying one of the main reasons people voted for Biden is because he promised to nominate a black Supreme Court Justice?  Holy Smokin' Joe Frazier!  I think your Chef spiked your tacos last night. 

I didn’t say it was a main reason but was part of his platform and campaign promises. People voting for him knew if he had a chance to elect a Supreme Court Justice, it’s what he would do.

Knowing that, people didn’t find it objectionable and voted for him in record numbers.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, it was Trump's 3rd SCOTUS pick, not his first.  And he picked 2 guys before her.  It makes complete sense that it would be a woman.  But he didn't specify race. 

And going into the voting booth, you knew Biden would pick a black woman for Supreme Court Justice if elected. So when you did your mental calculus on who to vote for, that probably would play some part of your decision as you weigh both parties platforms.

17 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

And going into the voting booth, you knew Biden would pick a black woman for Supreme Court Justice if elected. So when you did your mental calculus on who to vote for, that probably would play some part of your decision as you weigh both parties platforms.

I doubt anyone voted for Joey based on his SCJ pick.  Mostly because no one knew if he would have the chance.

26 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

I didn’t say it was a main reason but was part of his platform and campaign promises. People voting for him knew if he had a chance to elect a Supreme Court Justice, it’s what he would do.

Knowing that, people didn’t find it objectionable and voted for him in record numbers.

So people didn’t find him promising he’d nominate a black woman to the Supreme Court objectionable?  You think that single issue entered ANYONE’S mind as they pulled the lever for Biden??  

Seriously…..I’d hire a food taster if I were you. 

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

That’s a silly debate. He said it like over a year ago. People made the decision whether they liked that or not. And now he’s following through.

Right or wrong, the debate ended when a record number of US people voted for Biden and as such voted for his  very publicly announced policy decision on how he would pick a Supreme Court Justice.

Ugh….the rabbit hole continues. Whatever. It’s simply not worth it anymore. This place is EXHAUSTING!!!

SupremeCourt29.jpg?resize=110,85&ssl=1     VOTERS DON’T LIKE SUPREME COURT SET-ASIDE

Senate Republicans should feel free to oppose Joe Biden’s nominee to replace Stephen Breyer on the merits, in part because most voters don’t like the idea of a “set aside” Supreme Court seat that is available only to, in this case, black women.

This poll, reported today by Rasmussen Reports, supports that conclusion:

Only 26% of voters think it’s a good idea to make race and gender the basis of choosing appointments to the Supreme Court. Sixty-one percent (61%) believe picking justices on the basis of race and gender is a bad idea. Another 14% are not sure.

These numbers are consistent with surveys (and elections) that we have seen many times. Most people don’t like the racial spoils system that is fundamental to Democrat Party politics.

Of course, core Democratic constituencies, like universities, see it differently. Thus the current controversy at Georgetown Law School, where new faculty member Ilya Shapiro got in trouble for tweeting about Breyer’s replacement:

“Objectively best pick for Biden is Sri Srinivasan, who is solid [progressive] and [very] smart,” Shapiro tweeted. “Even has identity politics benefit of being first Asian (Indian) American. But alas doesn’t fit into last intersectionality hierarchy so we’ll get lesser black woman. Thank heaven for small favors?”

In a follow-up tweet, Shapiro wrote, “Because Biden said he’s only consider [sic] black women for SCOTUS, his nominee will always have an asterisk attached. Fitting that the Court takes up affirmative action next term.”

Shapiro did not say that “the best Supreme Court nominee could not be a black woman.” Rather, it is Joe Biden’s selection process that–by limiting his search only to black women–implies that he not looking for the best candidate overall, but only the best candidate within an extremely limited demographic.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/01/voters-dont-like-supreme-court-set-aside.php

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Black people need a positive role model more then ever , not get of jail free cards that remove deterrence. The court will stay 6-3 conservative for likely many years to go. As long as the nominee is well qualified I don't have a problem with a black women SC court judge. White supremacists will have a problem with it so what.  jmo

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ugh….the rabbit hole continues. Whatever. It’s simply not worth it anymore. This place is EXHAUSTING!!!

The only questions anymore is “How ugly does it get for the nominee?” and “How ugly does it get for those that might oppose her?”. 

Will she be Kavanaughed, or will she be treated more in line with ACB? 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Black people need a positive role model more then ever , not get of jail free cards that remove deterrence. The court will stay 6-3 conservative for likely many years to go. As long as the nominee is well qualified I don't have a problem with a black women SC court judge. White supremacists will have a problem with it so what.  jmo

Good point.  I know that white people have been using Supreme Court justices as role models for decades.  🙄

BTW Clarence Thomas isn’t a good role model?  😏

Black people:  thank you thank you sir for telling us what we need!!  :worthy:

Edited by Chef Jim

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Black people have no shortage of nationally known role models. While I realize this is a stereotype…what they need are more role models in their own homes….and generally from absentee fathers, which a black woman judge will do nothing for. Now with all that said, I have zero issues with the color of the next justice’s skin. Why should I? On the other hand I’m going to be interested to learn of their resume. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Black people have no shortage of nationally known role models. While I realize this is a stereotype…what they need are more role models in their own homes….and generally from absentee fathers, which a black woman judge will do nothing for. Now with all that said, I have zero issues with the color of the next justice’s skin. Why should I? On the other hand I’m going to be interested to learn of their resume. 

Whew.  You just passed Alf’s white supremacist test.