Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer To Retire

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Just to piss you off for one reason.

You’re not succeeding, I don’t care what a person thinks. Especially not one over the internet. I don’t care if a person thinks I’m this or that for things I espouse, I know who I am and my own heart and what I stand for, so nothing actually gets to me.  I’m confident I’m on the right side of the argument regardless of your thoughts of feelings. If you offer me something to actually think about rather than propaganda that has been repeated over and over again (of which I have considered long ago) I will think thoughtfully about it and apply it to my current thinking and see if it makes sense. So far you’ve offered nothing other than trying to bait, pathetically really.

Keep on keeping on with your diversity (in itself) is a strength narrative. (Spoiler it’s not unless they were chosen by their merits, you know, by the content of their character and education/job experience and such). Carry on. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

What percent of the population is Clarence Thomas  ?

I can't speak to percentages because in the big picture, it seems that represents lowest common denominator politics.  Biden is pretty good at that.   

I will say that Clarence Thomas definitely feels he fell into whatever percentage of Black Americans Joe Biden was quite willing to destroy back when that was fashionable.  Biden was pretty good at that for a long time, too.   

31 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I’m confident I’m on the right side of the argument regardless of your thoughts of feelings. 

So you believe not a single black woman in the whole history of the US was qualified to be on the SC  ?

20 minutes ago, ALF said:

So you believe not a single black woman in the whole history of the US was qualified to be on the SC  ?

Nope, that’s not what I said. In fact that’s the opposite of what I said.  It need not be based on skin color and sex. You knew that though, and you continue to bait.

Biden, clever as he is, let the cat out of the bag for the American people to hear what he’s looking for. The only reason someone would do that is to virtue signal to his base. Rather than stand on principle for what this country stands for, he wants to make a loud minority in this country happy. 

If the candidate is a space alien, it matters not to me, as long as they are the most qualified in the position. As I said earlier, choosing from 9% of the population necessarily makes it so that you will more than likely choose someone less qualified, as you’re cutting out the consideration 91% of the candidates. That leaves an unnecessary asterisk next to the candidates name when that person could very well be the best person for the job. I know you know this but you can’t admit it. 

Edited by HamSandwhich

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

Would you support the Bork/Thomas/Kavanaugh  democrat approach to potential nominees?  

That is to say, in the blood sport that this all has become, is it incumbent on the opposition party to attempt to destroy the nominee regardless of qualifications?  

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

When my team hires somebody based on an "open" position we provide a job description and a list of qualification, education, training, and experience requirements.  Then select from the candidates through evaluations, interviews, etc.  Pretty standard stuff.

I suspect no such job description exists in the field of Supreme Court justices.  Even so, would you agree that before that question can be answered from a objective perspective we'd all have to understand what the qualifications for being a Supreme Court justice are based on some form of job description?  List of duties, qualifications, expectations of performance, etc. 

Otherwise, the argument boils down to the personal preferences and philosophical interpretations of each of us rather than some quantifiable standard.  Or maybe it all comes down to politics and qualifications are irrelevant to the nomination process? 

32 minutes ago, ALF said:

Imagine if the Bills chose their starters based solely on race first and ability to play the game second.  What would your thoughts be?  And be honest. 

49 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ouch! You REALLY think that’s what anyone in America is saying? Really?

How many qualified black women have been appointed to the SC in the entire history of the US ?  

28 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Imagine if the Bills chose their starters based solely on race first and ability to play the game second.  What would your thoughts be?  And be honest. 

Most NFL and Bills players are black so do you think white players are being discriminated against ?

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

How many qualified black women have been appointed to the SC in the entire history of the US ?  

Most NFL and Bills players are black so do you think white players are being discriminated against ?

No, they are not being discriminated against.  Sports are the ultimate meritocracy when you're talking about players.

9 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I don’t know, are there qualified ones? 

There are some Native American US district court judges but currently no Court of Appeals judges.

Ada Brown is one to watch. Though her credentials aren't what you normally see on the USSC.

Oh and she's a twofer. She's african- and native-american. 

Edited by LeviF

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

There are some Native American US district court judges but currently no Court of Appeals judges.

Ada Brown is one to watch. Though her credentials aren't what you normally see on the USSC.

Oh and she's a twofer. She's african- and native-american. 

What do you mean by she doesn't have credentials you would normally see?  Are there other candidates that would be better choices with better credentials?  Would they fit the skin/sex need?