Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer To Retire

Tiberius

Democratic leaders remain out of touch with the electorate on this sort of thing.

Americans have no objection to a black female ascending to the Supreme Court. Other things being equal, a great many would applaud this development.

But Americans don’t like race/gender-based hiring decisions, and they certainly don’t like to see jobs set aside for individuals from a particular group. This is clear from polls and, indeed, elections — even in states as left-liberal as California.

A set aside excludes people from even being considered for a position because (in this case) they are (1) non-black and (2) male. This is the most blatant form of race/gender discrimination. Even those awful Supreme Court decisions that uphold race-discrimination in college admissions denounce the practice of openly setting aside slots for members of particular racial groups.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/01/the-politics-of-replacing-breyer.php

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

What do you mean by she doesn't have credentials you would normally see?  Are there other candidates that would be better choices with better credentials?  Would they fit the skin/sex need?  

As in she didn't attend Harvard or Yale Law Schools. 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Most NFL and Bills players are black so do you think white players are being discriminated against ?

Good lord dude.  Let me try this another way.  The NFL is a PERFECT example of hiring based on past performance and potential whereas Biden appears to hire based on race and gender.  I’m not accusing him of racism.  I’m accusing him of dumbass pandering. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good lord dude.  Let me try this another way.  The NFL is a PERFECT example of hiring based on past performance and potential whereas Biden appears to hire based on race and gender.  I’m not accusing him of racism.  I’m accusing him of dumbass pandering. 

Are you saying never in the history of the US a black women has never been qualified to be a SC judge ?

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

WTF - Trump did the same damn thing w Amy Coney Barrett.

Conald Trump - “I'm picking a woman for the Supreme Court"

Where was the outrage?

So much white fragility so little time.

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

Are you saying never in the history of the US a black women has never been qualified to be a SC judge ?

Stop beind obtuse.  How about this way.

Would you be cool if Biden said “I will nominate a white male for Supreme Court Justice”? 

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Stop beind obtuse.  How about this way.

Would you be cool if Biden said “I will nominate a white male for Supreme Court Justice”? 

I think what @ALF is trying to point out is that every qualified person ever has been selected to serve on the Supreme Court except for a qualified Black woman. 

The deal is, go to law school, develop your skill set, submit your resume and get selected. 

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think what @ALF is trying to point out is that every qualified person ever has been selected to serve on the Supreme Court except for a qualified Black woman. 

Black or Asian or  Middle Easten or Paraplegic. Yadda yadda yadda.  

This is NOT our argument and he knows it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The deal is, go to law school, develop your skill set, submit your resume and get selected. 

There have been 115 Supreme Court justices in US history.  There are over 300 million people in the United States. I'm not sure why diversity is even a conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

It’s rather insulting beyond the political considerations.  

The assumption, of course, is that all Black citizens think as one, and that race should be an overriding consideration in this selection.   It’s as offensive as suggesting Brett Kavanaugh was the onl

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

He’s in this weird place today.  Very unAlf like.  Maybe he has a case going before the court and is hoping for the inside track? 

7 minutes ago, LeviF said:

There have been 115 Supreme Court justices in US history.  There are over 300 million people in the United States. I'm not sure why diversity is even a conversation.

I think of this perspective  from time to time.  When you factor in the 300m+ people only reflects the population today, with no consideration as to the number of individuals who have come and gone from the nomination of John Jay in the late 1700. The simple reality is that it is, and always will be, more about who you know at the right point in time than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think of this perspective  from time to time.  When you factor in the 300m+ people only reflects the population today, with no consideration as to the number of individuals who have come and gone from the nomination of John Jay in the late 1700. The simple reality is that it is, and always will be, more about who you know at the right point in time than anything else. 

Six of the current justices clerked for a Supreme Court Justice.  

Samuel Alito was a US Attorney. 

Thomas was chairman of the EEOC.

Sotomayor was never high up in political spheres, but caught the attention of the right person at the right time to get vaulted to a federal court seat.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 716er said:

Long overdue to have a black woman on the court.

As long as she is qualified, she should be confirmed.

But would you take a much more qualified Asian female?   Are we just a overdue for that?  Do you not see this as ticking the boxes and pandering vs hiring the right person? 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

But would you take a much more qualified Asian female?   Are we just a overdue for that?  Do you not see this as ticking the boxes and pandering vs hiring the right person? 

Yes - let's expand the court. I think we're on the same page.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 716er said:

Yes - let's expand the court. I think we're on the same page.

So we can tick all the boxes?   How many justices would that require?  15? 16? 27?   Do us a favor and list all the boxes so we can make sure everyone is represented on the highest court. 🙄

To make an attempt to represent the diversity of our country with a qualified minority candidate is something to strive for. If it pisses off racists or makes them question why this group over that group so be it.

Don't really understand the issue with anything Biden promised here.

As mentioned previously, both Trump and Reagan made promises to represent the diversity of our country by nominating a female. I had no issue with those "promises" either.