McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Which leaves KC with one Hail Mary attempt from the 50 assuming a Holding Penalty call!

So, it is more than reasonable for angry fanatics to demand that their HC explain, why those things weren’t accomplished, let alone, apparently not even thought of! 

Full disclosure:

I am one who normally thinks that Prosecutors & Investigators of major crimes should never disclose the hidden details of how they reached their successful guilty goal. 

Likewise, if in Pro Sports, a HC or Manager has an advantage, insight, detail as to why success occurred, he/ she is a fool to disclose it. 

HOWEVER, the only down side to McD telling his version of what he planned and executed, would be to disclose that he wanted to Squib Kick for future, similar, situations. And after a Billy’s Millennium of total FUBARs and hell, he should of.

NOT to throw anyone under the Bus, just to confirm that he knows the correct strategies and that those will be rectified in the future.

I can't disagree with any of this.  I would as a fan like to know "Why?"  And as McD said in his presser without throwing anyone under the bus, that for a team like the Bills who practices situational football and situational awareness, to fail to "execute", you have to believe that something that was intended, didn't occur as expected.

So fans that ask "why?" are fine.  It's those with the "off with their heads", "fire everyone" mentalities that need to follow Josh's example.  You do not make permanent decisions based on temporary emotions.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

I can't disagree with any of this.  I would as a fan like to know "Why?"  And as McD said in his presser without throwing anyone under the bus, that for a team like the Bills who practices situational football and situational awareness, to fail to "execute", you have to believe that something that was intended, didn't occur as expected.

So fans that ask "why?" are fine.  It's those with the "off with their heads", "fire everyone" mentalities that need to follow Josh's example.  You do not make permanent decisions based on temporary emotions.  

McDermott, yes, it’s reactionary and he shouldn’t be fired.  

Frazier, no.. most of us aren’t basing it on one game.  We just hate his philosophy of defense and his side of the ball hasn’t carried its weight in the Playoffs… Three seasons worth:  2019, 2020 & 2021.  

Just now, SCBills said:

Frazier, no.. most of us aren’t basing it on one game.  We just hate his philosophy of defense and his side of the ball hasn’t carried its weight in the Playoffs… Three seasons worth:  2019, 2020 & 2021.  

I stated earlier in another thread that if Frazier cannot adjust his defensive philosophy, he does need to move on.  We've been bounced from the playoffs in each of the past three years with a big piece of that due to his passive defense.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why do you think Frazier's philosophy of defense differs from McDermotts?

So AFTER the TB, ball is on the 25, THIRTEEN seconds left.  From there until the end of the game your blaming the players for their 'execution'??

I beg to differ Sean.  I would dare to say, defensive coaching decisions with 13 seconds left COST US THE GAME Sean

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

I stated earlier in another thread that if Frazier cannot adjust his defensive philosophy, he does need to move on.  We've been bounced from the playoffs in each of the past three years with a big piece of that due to his passive defense.  

Again - why do you feel that Frazier and McDermott are not aligned in defensive philosophy?

Just now, stosh64 said:

So AFTER the TB, ball is on the 25, THIRTEEN seconds left.  From there until the end of the game your blaming the players for their 'execution'??

I beg to differ Sean.  I would dare to say, defensive coaching decisions with 13 seconds left COST US THE GAME Sean

When Sean says "execution", it's pretty clear he doesn't just mean players because he says "starts with me"

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

we do need more speed, but perhaps mckenzie can be that speed.  a fast back would be nice, but way less important.  a TE2 is a bigger need, and we still need at least one interior lineman.  an OG who can play C would be perf.

Yeah I am not opposed to adding more speed by any means, I was only highlighting the offense scored plenty as built, and the higher priority is to shore up the OL.  

Honestly, I think Devin can be a good full time RB for us if we just commit to him and the run game.  However, I am not opposed at trying to upgrade their either. 

I think there will be a lot of talk of Barkley to the Bills this offseason.  Schoen knows he needs to fix the cap before he can truly fix the roster like Beane did here.  Would not suprise me at all to see Barkley land here in a trade either for draft asset(s) or maybe players and a pick.  Cole an Moss plus a day 3 pick could be something I see happening.  Bills bring back Mckenzie and Hodgins to compete for the slot role and have a backfield of Saquan and Devin.  

Cole becomes a safety blanket for Jones (or whatever QB becomes the starter there) and Moss can compete to start on the cheap.  Allows the Giants cap relief and still put some quality pieces back on the field.  Frees up cap space for us to bring in Saquan and gives a potential upgrade with Devin still here as a safety net if he doesn't get back to his old self or gets hurt again.  Not to mention, Saquan would not need to be over used and run into the ground here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you think Frazier's philosophy of defense differs from McDermotts?

Hope.  Because otherwise I’d begin to worry that McDermott truly won’t be the guy to get us over the top.  

We’ve employed the same style of defense the past 3 years, and every time it’s come up very small in the biggest moments.   

And this is all with Allen on a rookie deal and the ability to spend on a veteran laden DL of guys they wanted.  

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm confused?  You get the ST together & tell them "We're kicking it short/squib kicking it, stay in your lanes".  

How much more could it be?

Exactly.  That is such a critical situation the HC should have his nose in every single aspect of what is going on.  The fact that the coaching staff completely soiled itself on the kickoff and subsequent defensive series is making me more angry the more I think about it.  We even called timeouts and nobody had the common sense to not let Kelce and Hill run free off the line.  Gross

24 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Please explain how you eliminate 6-7 seconds with a squib kick? I see 1 or 2 at the most before the ref blows his whistle once the receiver immediately gave himself up, which he would have been told to do by the KC coaches. And the chances are really good that the ball would have been fielded in better field position as you pointed out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Doesn't want to talk specifics, but then blame execution. Easy way of throwing the players under the bus for his horrible end game management. Such a weasel move.  

If you are going to make the calls you need to answer to them. Accountability coach, get some. 

How do you ‘apologize’ for having a yellow stripe a mile wide running down your back? I say that fully believing that both McD and Frazier are otherwise very good coaches. 

His brain didn't execute in those 13 seconds. No one on the planet can question his character and love for this team. Clearly his early process/culture goal has been accomplished. He now only has to find a way to stop being so damn stupid in game management decisions. He's got literally one of the greatest qbs in NFL history. Stop making dumb mistakes. Pride yourself on not being dumb. Or else the mafia will have to go all Nancy Kerrigan on Patrick's knee.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I agree that poor coaching decisions made it easier for KC given what they needed. They had three timeouts remaining and had the entire field to work with as a result. They weren’t confined to the sidelines and could still keep it honest. It’s too bad we didn’t elect to keep it honest as well. 

Even if Bass messed up the kickoff, there is a world of difference between accidentally causing a touchback and letting Kelce get an uncontested 20 yard catch with 8 seconds left. That's on McDermott and he should have taken responsibility for it, especially considering he called a timeout to get his defense aligned exactly how he wanted it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Please explain how you eliminate 6-7 seconds with a squib kick? I see 1 or 2 at the most before the ref blows his whistle once the receiver immediately gave himself up, which he would have been told to do by the KC coaches. And the chances are really good that the ball would have been fielded in better field position as you pointed out. 

Why is everyone obsessed with the squib. That's not the type of kick you use. You kick the high pop up inside the 10 forcing Hardman to at least run it out as far as he can burning 4-5 seconds at the very least. If he Immediately fair catches it on the 10, KC now burns 1-2 seconds and they're pinned way back. No way I risk a squib. 

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again - why do you feel that Frazier and McDermott are not aligned in defensive philosophy?

When Sean says "execution", it's pretty clear he doesn't just mean players because he says "starts with me"

I don't recall when Sean McDermott was defensive coordinator in Carolina, that he played a passive, "prevent" scheme.  I do remember Frazier doing a lot of that in Minnesota.  In his presser, he mentioned "execution" not only as respect to the kickoff in those 13 seconds, but also the defensive plays that followed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

Regardless of the kick which was a serious mistake, the defensive execution during last 13 seconds was gross incompetence by the coaches. McD and or Frazier need to be held

accountable. They lost the game. Not the players.  

Just a question, because imo it was defensive play calling and not so much execution....the entire game Bills D played to prevent KC from getting big plays which they did for most part. 

So why go away from that with 13 secs left and more importantly with 3 time outs? Going with that call allowed KC 2 quick 20+ yard plays 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.