The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think it was BEFORE last year that Tom Brady had more playoff wins IN TAMPA than the Cowboys had over the last quarter of a century. 

You are correct sir! 5 vs. 4. However, Brady is part of a team.

There is no I in the word team. My old buddy from HS used to say true, but there is me! ( Team😃

On 1/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

They've had this excellent talent for years and every year, they underachieve.  They just are just an above average team.

Their talent is overrated. They don't underachieve, people just think they are better than they actually are. They are simply a fringe playoff team and nothing more.

• Agree 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:38 PM, Warcodered said:

I love when you post these comedy acts.  Unfortunately, there’s more than a few who on this board who looked eerily similar to this guy in the final minutes of the Bills Chiefs game ie. 13 seconds.

I never worry about the Cowgirls as the owner will surely find new ways to derail his own team year after without fail.

14 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

You are correct sir! 5 vs. 4. However, Brady is part of a team.

There is no I in the word team. My old buddy from HS used to say true, but there is me! ( Team😃

Speaking of Dallas in the playoffs

FB_IMG_1657453372373.thumb.jpg.fb9f31663c09dbd92318bdd6c93445a3.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, T&C said:

Well, we have 2... and yes they count.

You know as well as I do, they do not count in today’s era.  Whether we like it or not, “the count” is denominated in Lombardi trophies. I understand your point and I really want to accept it for what it is but….. it’s a homer thought that is not held elsewhere.

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Their talent is overrated. They don't underachieve, people just think they are better than they actually are. They are simply a fringe playoff team and nothing more.

In general for the last 2 decades the NFCE was weak other than Giants & Eagles when they went on hot streak.

The AFCN teams beat each other up but the NFCE teams bare their throats.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

You know as well as I do, they do not count in today’s era.  Whether we like it or not, “the count” is denominated in Lombardi trophies. I understand your point and I really want to accept it for what it is but….. it’s a homer thought that is not held elsewhere.

it is not a "homer thought". 

Other AFL championships are celebrated ELSEWHERE by teams which were part of it and won it.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Don't agree. When we won them they counted, big time. I was just a kid in WNY but man o man did the grownups ever celebrate. According to what you are saying is that as soon as the first superbowl was played that they no longer counted. Heck, there is at least half a dozen of those Bills/coaches on our wall of fame. Same with other stadiums/teams. 2 years in a row the Bills went as high as possible and were champs. They count.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:02 AM, JohnNord said:

Laugh all you want about Jones and sons but they have accumulated some excellent talent.  I think the issue is that Dallas has hired some sub-standard coaches and held onto them longer than they should.  

I agree with this, and the substandard coaching is Jerry's fault and no one else.   His only job is to hired a coach and a GM, and he does that job miserably.   And he makes it hard for the organization to succeed, because he's always meddling.  

As for the talent, I think the Cowboys always seem to have mismatched talent.   By that I mean that talent doesn't fit together as a team very well.   We like McDermott and Beane because they work together.  They know what kind of players they want, and they work together to get it.  The Cowboys don't do that. 

Plus, I think that Jerry is so much into marketing that he overvalues what he thinks is marketable.   He wants skill position players who are stars.  Guys like Deion Sanders, TO.  Then you have guys like Dak and Zeke, who get over-hyped by the press, because the press always over-hypes the Cowboys, and Jones starts believing the hype and thinking he has a star.   So, instead of giving his coach and GM wiggle room to go in the direction they want, he locks them into good players who aren't the guys they need to win with.  

It's simply very clear that the success and quality of the franchise is driven by the owner.   The Cowboys are a good example.   And so are the Bills.   I loved Ralph - he was loyal, and that meant a lot, but he demonstrated that he didn't know how to make a successful franchise. 

42 minutes ago, T&C said:

Don't agree. When we won them they counted, big time. I was just a kid in WNY but man o man did the grownups ever celebrate. According to what you are saying is that as soon as the first superbowl was played that they no longer counted. Heck, there is at least half a dozen of those Bills/coaches on our wall of fame. Same with other stadiums/teams. 2 years in a row the Bills went as high as possible and were champs. They count.

I'm a homer, and I agree.   I think they count because they were the two championships immediately BEFORE the first Super Bowl.   So, for example, there's no reason the Browns shouldn't count their 1964 NFL championship, but the fact is that the best AFC teams were as good as the best NFC teams in those years, except until the Packers separated themselves from EVERYONE in both leagues.   Bills-Browns, Bills-Packers (the 64 and 65 champions, paired) would have been great Super Bowls.  So, yeah, they count. 

The 1960 AFC champs, the Houston Oilers, maybe not, because there was a talent differential in the early years.  But the talent gap closed pretty quickly, because the the AFL was paying for good talent.   (That's why the merger happened - the NFL didn't want to keep competing for talent.)  But by 64, 65, the league had a lot of guys, like Otto and Alworth and Cookie and Shaw, guys who would play in any league.  

• Like (+1) 1

From a sports perspective, the Cowboys suck.  From a business perspective, they are THE dynasty..... Jerry bought the team for 140 mil, now worth 6.5 BILLION and number one by far in the NFL.  Wouldn't surprise me if Kraft catches up to Jerry though, he's much smoother and just as driven.  Every time the Cowboys choke in the playoffs, it just fuels the hype for next year.  Murica's team (can't stand their fans), followed by legions who will never in their life attend an actual game.   

6 hours ago, P Riv said:

From a sports perspective, the Cowboys suck.  From a business perspective, they are THE dynasty..... Jerry bought the team for 140 mil, now worth 6.5 BILLION and number one by far in the NFL.  Wouldn't surprise me if Kraft catches up to Jerry though, he's much smoother and just as driven.  Every time the Cowboys choke in the playoffs, it just fuels the hype for next year.  Murica's team (can't stand their fans), followed by legions who will never in their life attend an actual game.   

Kraft is 81 now. His ticker might lock up and explode during his next rub and tug...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.