NFL Executive Comments on the Flaw of Bills Roster Construction & Game Play

JohnNord

12 hours ago, MJS said:

McDermott doesn't call plays on offense. It is Daboll.

Daboll is deficient in the run game, both in scheme and in play calling. I'd also say he is deficient in the red zone.

Daboll has a lot going for him, but until he improves in those areas, this team will struggle.

I do think the oline is not great, and our running backs are not great either, but he should be able to scheme up some plays to cover some of those deficiencies. Singletary is more than capable. He just gets less than 10 carries a game.

Best thing Daboll has going for him is Allen.

19 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not surprising.  Our highest paid RB is a special teams player who never sees the field on offense.  

And Beane sat back and let most of the good RB’s in the draft get selected before pulling the trigger on a couple of RB’s who lacked power and speed.  

How about James Conner having a Pro Bowl type season with Arizona?   He was a free agent available to everyone and signed for just $1.75M.

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t share the shame view on Morse.  He was perhaps the top center in free agency when the Bills signed him.  Did they overpay for him?  Probably, but that’s what happens in FA.  Beane wanted to make sure Josh could learn with a solid veteran center and that what Morse has been.

Dawkins struggled early this season and has played much better over the past 2 weeks.  

Ford and Feliciano were pretty big busts

For the value, so is Morse.

Singletary's average this year is 4.6 YPC which is well with in the perimeters of average to maybe slightly above average in the NFL . As another has said here they just don't use him . In his rookie year he had a 5.1 YPC average and that line was even worse than it is now they just aren't running as much .

Moss isn't the guy he's to small for what they are using him for in the NFL college maybe he was that guy but not here ! I never liked the pick i thought there were other backs that would work for the Bills much better than him .

Right now i would be in for them bringing in AP in he's much bigger 6' 1" 220 lbs & although his YPC is low i think it could be because he wasn't used much  in Seattle . 

That being said i still think we have backs on the team that have shown that given the chance they could add to the offense with Gilliam at 6' 244 lbs & Williams a bit shorted 5' 11" is 215 lbs and did well in the Miami game sure they had checked out so you only get 1 chance to prove your self in clean up duty come on at least try to do something to better the run game .

Shoot just use Gurley till the end of the year until they can draft a RB next season .

Just strap that knee in a huge ass brace & put him out there he's 6' 1' & 231 lbs he's still young and if he can bring something anywhere close to what he had it would be better than what Moss brings just run him straight ahead as a power back no cuts why not ? Just do something to give Josh some help he can't last by doing what he did last game .

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

How about James Conner having a Pro Bowl type season with Arizona?   He was a free agent available to everyone and signed for just $1.75M.

He's been a better receiver than I think most thought, especially with edmonds missing some time.  His nose for the end zone has been great as well.  However 3.7 YPC is pretty lousy.  

1 minute ago, T master said:

Singletary's average this year is 4.6 YPC which is well with in the perimeters of average to maybe slightly above average in the NFL . As another has said here they just don't use him . In his rookie year he had a 5.1 YPC average and that line was even worse than it is now they just aren't running as much .

Moss isn't the guy he's to small for what they are using him for in the NFL college maybe he was that guy but not here ! I never liked the pick i thought there were other backs that would work for the Bills much better than him .

Right now i would be in for them bringing in AP in he's much bigger 6' 1" 220 lbs & although his YPC is low i think it could be because he wasn't used much  in Seattle . 

That being said i still think we have backs on the team that have shown that given the chance they could add to the offense with Gilliam at 6' 244 lbs & Williams a bit shorted 5' 11" is 215 lbs and did well in the Miami game sure they had checked out so you only get 1 chance to prove your self in clean up duty come on at least try to do something to better the run game .

Shoot just use Gurley till the end of the year until they can draft a RB next season .

Just strap that knee in a huge ass brace & put him out there he's 6' 1' & 231 lbs he's still young and if he can bring something anywhere close to what he had it would be better than what Moss brings just run him straight ahead as a power back no cuts why not ? Just do something to give Josh some help he can't last by doing what he did last game .

Singletary is like a lesser mccoy - not as good a receiver or pass protector - but he has some phone booth moves and occasionally tries to do too much and causes negative plays.  You can't just coach him into being a 1 cut north south guy, its not really what he does.  He needs to just play his game, and follow his instincts. Will it result in some busted plays?  Yes.  But in the end the numbers end up evening out as he has the ability to turn a 2 yard gain into 10 or more by being able to make plays.  Frustrating for an OC though when you're just looking for like 4 yards on 2nd and 8 to get to 3rd and manageable.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They drafted two OL, so this notion we ignored the OL this offseason is just not accurate.  

Its not like we have endless cap space to pay the best OL in FA or have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds to get premium draft picks at every position of need.  One of those 2 OL we drafted has been one of our best OL this year in Brown.  

Sorry, but nothing is more inaccurate than this false blanket statement we "ignored" it when we did not.  Our pass rush was a major achilles heal ALSO.  We had several things we needed to address, cant fix it all in one draft or offseason.  

I mean this was essentially the third year of an entire rebuild where it was completely torn down and built back up.  Almost every starter is new, and every backup.  We went from the bottom of the AFC to the AFCCG in essentially Beanes 2nd year of rebuilding (first year he just tore the old stuff down before building back up).  

Now this offseason, there is zero doubt OL will almost certainly be the main priority this off season.  I expect they will look to address DT given Star has not been able to stay on the field consistently and he and his size are too important to our run defense and possibly a RB.  But our run game issues are NOT our RB's as much as it is our OL and most importantly, run blocking scheme.  

Other changes I believe will happen...Bobby Johnson fired and if Daboll doesn't take another job, I think he could be fired too.  Because quite honestly, I dont think talent wise our OL is as bad as its been playing.  I think it has a LOT to do with Daboll and his system/scheme.  Look at the 2nd half yesterday...soon as we start running the ball, the OL doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in the first half.  This has been true several times this year.  So my personal opinion, DABOLL is our biggest achilles heal overall right now.  

This reminds me when everyone was crying we didn't address WR while completely lacking the context of state of the team, cap, and all the other positions we had to address first.  Then, once that was set, we went and over hauled the WR room too.  Next up...the OL situation...be it player or coach over haul or both.

They actually drafted 3 OL, but one was cut, signed to the practice squad & then went to the Eagles.  Imagine if Beane had not re-signed Feliciano & Williams-the people would have really been up in arms because he would have created 2 holes in the O-line before the draft & the 3 draftees wouldn't have been anywhere near enough.  At the time the re-signings made a lot of sense because without them it would have been instant whack-a-mole like prior GMs used to do with CBs-develop them and then let them go after 4-5 years & use another #1 pick on their replacement.  

The big mistake was not getting a RB in the 1st 2 rounds.  RB is one of the few positions that you can rarely find in free agency since they're either past their prime, cost too much or both.  Drafting RBs in the 3rd round is too iffy.  The sweet spot is early 2nd round.  If Beane could trade up for Ford in the 2nd, he could trade up for a RB.  This is actually similar to how the Bills treated the QB spot before Josh.  The sweet spot for QBs is the top 10.  Beane came in realizing that & fixed years of cheaping out on QBs & went for a top 10 QB for the 1st time since the merger & common draft.  For the record I did an analysis a while back & found the percentages for QB success drop dramatically after the top 10.  It's a 53% success rate for a top 10 QB & drops to 36% for the rest of the 1st round ging down to 24% for the 2nd.  For years the Bills went with either later round 1st rounders (EJ & JP) or signed late round backups to start (Fitz & Tyrod).  I have not done a complete RB analysis although I looked at the top RBs & most were gone by pick 50.  

I would give Daboll the benefit of the doubt.  He knows he doesn't have the RBs or OL for a balanced attack & is really stuck with Superman, his receivers & not much else.  The only reason the running game worked in the 2nd half was it was totally unexpected & at the time with the big lead, Tampa was trying to stop the passing game & not concerned with the Bills running for a few yards.  

I don't know how much is on the coaches.  The O-line moves re-signing 2 starters on a 13-3 team & drafting 3 O-linemen just didn't work out.  Maybe Sando wouldn't have been so critical if Brown had been drafted in the 1st round, but if the 2021 O-line struggled with different moves he certainly would have blamed Beane for letting Williams & Feliciano go creating 2 giant holes on the O-line.  

41 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's been a better receiver than I think most thought, especially with edmonds missing some time.  His nose for the end zone has been great as well.  However 3.7 YPC is pretty lousy.  

Singletary is like a lesser mccoy - not as good a receiver or pass protector - but he has some phone booth moves and occasionally tries to do too much and causes negative plays.  You can't just coach him into being a 1 cut north south guy, its not really what he does.  He needs to just play his game, and follow his instincts. Will it result in some busted plays?  Yes.  But in the end the numbers end up evening out as he has the ability to turn a 2 yard gain into 10 or more by being able to make plays.  Frustrating for an OC though when you're just looking for like 4 yards on 2nd and 8 to get to 3rd and manageable.  

I Agree but there needs to be 2 different backs which Moss isn't the same as Motor that's a given he is more of the straight forward North/South back but at 207 in the NFL against 300 lb O linemen & 250 lb Lb ers your not going to move much they need a back that has some ass in the 230 lb range at least .

They have Gilliam at 244 lb use him as a lead blocker for either of them to clear a path or use him to carry it but these single back sets just are not working the way they want them to so utilize what you have to try to change it because pickings for free agents are very slim to none and those that might be left have huge question marks like a Todd Gurley .

50 minutes ago, T master said:

Singletary's average is 4.9, which is 8th in the NFL and 5th among running backs. He's a pretty solid player. 

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think yesterday was game plan specific to the opponent. Bucs have had the leagues number one rush defense by a large margin for a couple years now. I wouldn’t take much away from that one game.

Yeah - get them to pin their ears and hammer them with draw plays when you see a blitz package you recognize.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.