McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re setting the bar too low. McDermott is not good enough. He continues to cost this team games. This isn’t the 2010 Bills…we have a new owner and a superstar QB…we don’t have to settle for a mediocre defensive coordinator as our head coach any longer. The best and brightest in the game would love the opportunity to coach a team with 24-year old Josh Allen. 

So who would you have Buffalo hire to replace McDermott that is available and an upgrade?

Edited by MrSarcasm
'Crickets'
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I love the cult of McD.....  Started very early his first year.

TBH he has grown on me, ever since he figured out that 300 yards passing is not a terrible thing and understood you can't rely on 17-14 games weekly.

But he has certainly regressed this year and has been badly outcoached way too often.

And then those who grasp at straws (like vs. TB saying he took over the defense after being gouged for 300 first half yards), there's always excuses.

He was badly outcoached in every loss and even the wins didn't set himself apart.  Add to that terrible results in every close game, you have to question him.

No they won't fire him, unless a complete meltdown and miss the playoffs at  9-8, which certainly will raise questions. 

I am in the cult of having a head coach with a winning record.....thank you

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Bills won close games last year because McDermott was aggressive. Bills are losing close games this year because McDermott has went back to a wimpy conservative coach. Why can't people see this?!?!?!

Because you are wrong. Case in point: Tennessee game. Rather than kick the FG and play conservative he put the ball in Josh’s hands and came up short. It happens sometimes.

McD was “conservative” in the Bucs game when faced with a similar situation because 2 yards is not a gimme against the Bucs D and we just got hosed on a no-call PI. Kick the FG and fight on. It was the right call.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Marvin Lewis was also a playoff coach and Bengals never went anywhere with him.

Shall we compare stats on head coaches with win loss records and how things worked out when teams moved away from them?

One team wins the Super Bowl.   Hey I have an idea lets ***** can ever HC that doesnt win the super bowl.   You must like losing

I'll tell ya why McDermott should be fired:

He slipped on 4th down against the Titans!

He dropped two passes in the end zone against the Pats!

He failed to throw a flag against Carlton Davis in the Bucs game!

Had he done his job better on those three instances, the Bills would be 10-3 right now and the number 1 seed in the AFC.

FIRE McDERMOTT!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Because you are wrong. Case in point: Tennessee game. Rather than kick the FG and play conservative he put the ball in Josh’s hands and came up short. It happens sometimes.

McD was “conservative” in the Bucs game when faced with a similar situation because 2 yards is not a gimme against the Bucs D and we just got hosed on a no-call PI. Kick the FG and fight on. It was the right call.

Again excuses.....  If going for it with Tennessee, they should have been ready and have a play called, been on the line.  Look at the replay and yes Josh slipped, but there were more Titans on the line then Bills.

Vs. the Bucs, again third & fourth down they did not have that play ready to run and then threw that fade, which was a penalty, but if not still not a high % play. 

Then add the first drive in OT was garbage.  That's coaching. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

On 12/14/2021 at 8:47 AM, P Riv said:

The Eagles fired Andy Reid.... People do stupid things every day.

Yet they went on to a SB and win one with a different coach who was also fired a few years later.

The NFL is a results driven business and while it's easy to have a certain degree of loyalty to a HC that has been to the playoffs in 3 of 5 years here (possibly a 4th yet) you have a finite window now that a franchise QB has been given a huge contract to win it all.

And this is exactly why the Pegula's can't have blind loyalty to this regime beyond 2022 if they prove they aren't good enough to take this team to the next level especially with the GOAT coaching in the same division.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I'll tell ya why McDermott should be fired:

He slipped on 4th down against the Titans!

He dropped two passes in the end zone against the Pats!

He failed to throw a flag against Carlton Davis in the Bucs game!

Had he done his job better on those three instances, the Bills would be 10-3 right now and the number 1 seed in the AFC.

FIRE McDERMOTT!!!!!!!!!

And yes the Bills are the only team in the NFL to allow more then one 60 yard TD run this year.  A fact, look it up....  But remember, nothing is McD's fault or responsibility.

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yet they went on to a SB and win one with a different coach who was also fired a few years later.

And Reid won a SB, went to another and has lived in the playoffs since he got to KC.  Right now in the Legue, Reid is runner up to the GOAT in resume, and Philly fired that guy.

As far as Bills HC's are concerned, McD is the 2nd best in our 60 year history.  He has less talent than Levy had, and he's highly successful.  

Who is out there this off season that we could get that could do a better job???

2 minutes ago, P Riv said:

And Reid won a SB, went to another and has lived in the playoffs since he got to KC.  Right now in the Legue, Reid is runner up to the GOAT in resume, and Philly fired that guy.

As far as Bills HC's are concerned, McD is the 2nd best in our 60 year history.  He has less talent than Levy had, and he's highly successful.  

Who is out there this off season that we could get that could do a better job???

Comparing McDermott, or any Bills coach, to a long list of past Bills coaches is foolish.

Almost all of our coaches over a period of decades were jokes who had no chance of success.

Past Bills coaches are not the standard to go by; the best HC in the league is.

Can McDermott be improved relative to what is out there around the league?  That's the question.

Edited by Nextmanup

10 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Probably no one.

But again, I understand McD isn't going anywhere after this season even if the Bills lose out and look terrible the rest of the way. Unless McD himself steps down he's obviously not getting fired after this season.

What I've been saying all along is that after 2022 the Pegulas have to make that decision assuming this regime doesn't get to a SB and win one next year.

Luv anytime people question McD as we have those ready to move on and then those who are members of what I call the "Cult of McD".

I think he's a good coach.  Has he got the most out of this team?  Are his game time decisions good?  Is his game plan good?  Is he the beneficiary of great players or has he put them in position to succeed?

As said he has grown on me, but I certainly am not convinced he is great. 

Would I can him?  No. 

I want to see him grow and make smarter decisions and be more decisive. 

Will continue to reserve judgement. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.