Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did those conflicts start under Obama, take a break under Trump and restart under Biden?

Do you honestly believe that Putin was too scared of the guy who trusts him more than the US and says we shouldn’t necessarily defend our allies and wanted to pull out of NATO?

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Do you honestly believe that Putin was too scared of the guy who trusts him more than the US and says we shouldn’t necessarily defend our allies and wanted to pull out of NATO?

Yes I do.  Because he, unlike Dems, knew what Trump meant with the NATO threats. 

• Agree 2

Bad news.

While we rarely hear it being mentioned in the legacy media or the White House press briefing room, the situation on the front lines of the war in Ukraine is not currently looking good for Zelenski's forces. Even with a fresh round of funding and military supplies arriving from the United States, the Russian army has been punishingly effective recently, particularly in the eastern parts of the country.

Putin's forces have stepped up their use of drones and aerial glide bombs such as the FAB-500 bombs launched from Su-34 bomber aircraft and employed them to devastating effect against Ukraine's soldiers and military vehicles. In a rare interview with one Ukrainian front-line commander, the Associated Press reveals that it's often not even safe for them to pull back and try to regroup in the face of the Russian advance. They have no ability to counter these types of attacks and the Russians can reach well beyond the poorly defined front lines. 

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-fortifications-8a72981dfdb755de6f8011b13f4d062e

On 5/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, ChiGoose said:

“The guy who hates NATO and supplicants himself before Putin would absolutely have defended NATO in a hot war against Putin” is quite the take. 

You understand he hated the countries that weren’t paying their fare share right? Then they started paying up cause they were called out. This strengthening NATO. But you knew that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

You understand he hated the countries that weren’t paying their fare share right? Then they started paying up cause they were called out. This strengthening NATO. But you knew that

Oh yeah, the guy who wants to pull out of NATO actually supports NATO.

4 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The pretzels they twist themselves into, for a criminal imbecile,  never cease to amaze.  Not much has changed despite concrete evidence he's a crook.

Trump used negotiating tactics and leverage to get other nations to meet their financial commitments.  Threats of withdrawing where part of it.  Something all previous US administration's would not do.  And he examined the nature of the NATO alliance and determined it was a losing arrangement.  His mistake was being naive to think it was a simple defense arrangement.  Although it originally was, its evolved into a vehicle to enable the US military and political powers to remain in control of Europe.  I'd argue Europe has no major policies or views that are out of alignment with US interests and have sacrificed the interests of their continent, nations, and citizens to tow the line with Washington.  While Russia is certainly a bad actor there are advantages to Europe to economically integrate with Russia but the US canot let that happen for strategic reasons. 

In regard to funding, European officials must have been puzzled by Trump's naive demand they pay more to allow America to control them.

80 years after WW2 and some 30 years after the fall of the Soviet Union and the Warwaw Pact, Europe should be fully capable of defending themselves from whatever trouble they might find themselves in without our "help".

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Send the people online stumping for it then .  No for real.  Eff this 

Demented Biden has screwed the pooch on all foreign policy.  What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Trump used negotiating tactics and leverage to get other nations to meet their financial commitments.  Threats of withdrawing where part of it.  Something all previous US administration's would not do.  And he examined the nature of the NATO alliance and determined it was a losing arrangement.  His mistake was being naive to think it was a simple defense arrangement.  Although it originally was, its evolved into a vehicle to enable the US military and political powers to remain in control of Europe.  I'd argue Europe has no major policies or views that are out of alignment with US interests and have sacrificed the interests of their continent, nations, and citizens to tow the line with Washington.  While Russia is certainly a bad actor there are advantages to Europe to economically integrate with Russia but the US canot let that happen for strategic reasons. 

In regard to funding, European officials must have been puzzled by Trump's naive demand they pay more to allow America to control them.

80 years after WW2 and some 30 years after the fall of the Soviet Union and the Warwaw Pact, Europe should be fully capable of defending themselves from whatever trouble they might find themselves in without our "help".

There are nations still not meeting their commitments, it wasn't a magical fix.  Europe would whoop Russia even without the US but it would be long and costly and crush the world economy.  Also nukes throw the whole equation into flux.  

Slightly off topic from your post...  I'll  tell you Eastern European nations are expecting war.  Poland has been prepping for imminent escalation for over a year.  They may just be doing this to mitigate the impact of a sudden, unexpected attack but it's definitely happening.   Polands army is considerably better trained and armed than Ukraines.  If you start hearing Russia ramp up negative sentiment against Poles, like suddenly Russia accuses them of having a Nazi problem,  then this war will get a lot bigger.

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

Anything being done about it? Does The Big Guy have a plan?

Oh look you said big guy and that got the monkeys excited!  Almost as excited they get when they regurgitate any story reflecting negatively on Ukraine.  Oh how i envy the simple-minded.  

I don't know what Joe's plan is in terms of getting members to spend more.  I do hope he does something.  Not threatening to not help Nato members if attacked, I'm not an imbecile, but certainly he has economic and diplomatic levers at his disposal.  They'll regret it if there's escalation that's for certain.

3 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Oh look you said big guy and that got the monkeys excited!  Almost as excited they get when they regurgitate any story reflecting negatively on Ukraine.  Oh how i envy the simple-minded.  

I don't know what Joe's plan is in terms of getting members to spend more.  I do hope he does something.  Not threatening to not help Nato members if attacked, I'm not an imbecile, but certainly he has economic and diplomatic levers at his disposal.  They'll regret it if there's escalation that's for certain.

You seem triggered. Apologies. 

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

So in 2014 3 countries contributed the 2 percent. Now it’s 18 and the rest have plans to get there. So it worked. 

• Like (+1) 1