Heavy is the Head that Wears the (Paper) Crown

otagoyellow

2020 was no fluke. I firmly believe in that. But I also believe the Bills had a fire in them during that season that made a significant difference from the coaching to the players. 

In 2021, with the team being crowned the shiny, new rising star with a $250M quarterback, I think the assumption from everyone (including the fans) was that the drive and fire that helped propel the Bills to the 2021 AFC Championship game would continue. Maybe growing even brighter. Every single week, even as recently as before the Colts game, the Bills were consistently lauded as one of the "most likely" teams to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. The warning signs were evident from those of us who flock to TBD to dissect each game, but it felt good to believe the national narrative, to believe the coaches and players would "figure it out." 

That fire, however, is gone. It was evident yesterday. I'm someone who grew up during the Super Bowl years, so I'm used to the Bills pulling off some impressive comebacks, of rallying together when down to overcome points and crazy odds. Yesterday, however, it was like they wanted to just call it quits and lick their wounds by the middle of the third quarter. It was crushing to see, disheartening even. No fan wants to see their home team, a team lauded as a Super Bowl contender, look so dejectedly out-played. 

Another poster on here (well several, actually) mentioned how the Bills are a soft team. There may be ways to correct that (hello Matt Breida), but I personally believe this team is at the moment lacking heart. The national narrative may have gotten to everyone from the coaches to the players that going all the way this year was a given, an easy road paved with talent. Without passion and drive, however, that road might as well lead straight off a cliff. 

If anyone has ever seen the movie "Seabiscuit," you might remember that the eponymous horse needed some competition before finding his heart and spirit and taking the lead over the remaining steeds. Allow me to be melodramatic, but this is the Bills' "Seabiscuit" moment. The Patriots are in the lead, the rest of the league no longer fears the Bills (or WNY), and they've transformed once again from the hunted to the hunters. The paper crown has been ripped from their heads and the eyes of the analysts are looking elsewhere. We are neck and neck with the rest of the AFC and barreling down the homestretch. 

We need to use this moment to get angry, dig deep to awaken the fire and spirit that made us great last year, and start believing in ourselves. Thursday night is the turning point. I hope with all my heart that the Bills organization once again finds theirs and channels it. Combined with the talent we have, there's no horse in this race we can't beat.  

Edited by otagoyellow
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There's no heart for many of the players.

You can see heart and grit in guys like Poyer, Allen (usually), Diggs, Oliver, and (now) Spencer Brown. 

But look at others - Vernon Butler is completely useless and isn't even trying out there, Star is absent, Hughes is getting old, etc. Those guys aren't playing with any fire anymore. Remember the days of Jordan Phillips? Even if he wasn't a game wrecker, he and Shaq had swagger and heart. I miss that. 

• Like (+1) 2

wonderful and elegant. I always liked the paper crown metaphor but the Bills really do lack talent where it is most needed - the middle of the D line and the entire O line. Not sure whether any inspiration (perhaps digging up Seabiscuit and keeping him around the locker room and on the sidelines on gameday could help-or was he made into dogfood?) will transform the D and O lines into anything other than mediocre.

IMHO, and I am really hoping I am wrong but am worried that Josh Allen is going to mirror Jeff George's style and career.. Wonderful physical tools but no head for the game. If I am right then the Bills are now trapped in a lose-lose situation for the remainder of his contract. We shall see what these last seven games show as to the true nature of the Bills' QB - I really hope the last several games were an "Allen Aberration" and he reverts to 2020 form.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I believe it will take a bit of off-season "housecleaning" to right this ship. I have no high hopes for the rest of this season. Just some development of a few of the younger guys.

I think at this point even if you told me they won the division crown I would ask who they lost to in the playoffs. The team just looks entitled like teams should bow down to them for what they want to do and that is not how football goes. I had been holding hope that they would finally hit the switch and I felt like yesterday was a seminal game for it as it really could've down a lot for their playoff chances and division crown. Instead they didn't even show a pulse.

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No heart, no leadership, no fire, Covid most likely dividing locker room.  They are *****.  Just end the season.  The sky is falling and life is over.  🤔

even though your reply was facetious (it was wasn't it?) I think one thing that could cause multiple upsets in the playoffs is COVID. Lets say the Bills make the playoffs as the bottom wild card seed and obviously draw the #2 team (the #1 would get a  bye - right?) and that week someone on #2 is COVID positive - that could really screw up the team's game plan and the Bills given how they are either are on fire or stink light them up. Then the same thing happens again the following week with the Bills lucking out once again. The point being is COVID certainly is a factor never having to be considered in the run to the championship.

The Bills could be the first team to take advantage of a biological agent to win a championship.

5 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

even though your reply was facetious (it was wasn't it?) I think one thing that could cause multiple upsets in the playoffs is COVID. Lets say the Bills make the playoffs as the bottom wild card seed and obviously draw the #2 team (the #1 would get a  bye - right?) and that week someone on #2 is COVID positive - that could really screw up the team's game plan and the Bills given how they are either are on fire or stink light them up. Then the same thing happens again the following week with the Bills lucking out once again. The point being is COVID certainly is a factor never having to be considered in the run to the championship.

The Bills could be the first team to take advantage of a biological agent to win a championship.

Given that the Bills are one of the least vaxxed teams, or so we're told, chances are greater that it will work against the Bills not for them.  Maybe pinning the team's hopes on guys who wont get with the program wasn't the best idea

21 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I think at this point even if you told me they won the division crown I would ask who they lost to in the playoffs. The team just looks entitled like teams should bow down to them for what they want to do and that is not how football goes. I had been holding hope that they would finally hit the switch and I felt like yesterday was a seminal game for it as it really could've down a lot for their playoff chances and division crown. Instead they didn't even show a pulse.

I strongly recommend reading this: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-two-high-cover-two-data-11637552010?st=eszmchtgi8gx64h&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

It's less about "heart" or anything like that than being figured out and QBs like Allen and Mahomes not adjusting.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I strongly recommend reading this: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-two-high-cover-two-data-11637552010?st=eszmchtgi8gx64h&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

It's less about "heart" or anything like that than being figured out and QBs like Allen and Mahomes not adjusting.

I know what the Cover 2 stuff is and its impacting every QB now from Rodgers to Allen as across the NFL defenses are finally saying "fine beat us but your going to have to do it on 10-12 play drives".

Losing at home in a game of that importance with the mistakes and just general lack of play is concerning. The first four years with McD I never questioned the teams effort or play as even when they lacked talent they seemed to make up for it with smart football. Every single loss you can question that and even wins like the Dolphins after the bye they looked like a team that was just going through the motions. Smart composed football is as evident as the Sun and when that is not happening you can't hide it. They look like a team that doesn't want to pay the price for success and it is killing them for that lack of resolve.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I know what the Cover 2 stuff is and its impacting every QB now from Rodgers to Allen as across the NFL defenses are finally saying "fine beat us but your going to have to do it on 10-12 play drives".

Losing at home in a game of that importance with the mistakes and just general lack of play is concerning. The first four years with McD I never questioned the teams effort or play as even when they lacked talent they seemed to make up for it with smart football. Every single loss you can question that and even wins like the Dolphins after the bye they looked like a team that was just going through the motions. Smart composed football is as evident as the Sun and when that is not happening you can't hide it. They look like a team that doesn't want to pay the price for success and it is killing them for that lack of resolve.

Cover 2 is nothing new. Teams would like their chops when they'd see it cause it meant they were going to average 5-7 yards per run. 

But if you can't run the ball. Or if you refuse to run the ball. Or if you have a back that goes off, but the you pull them out of the game and keep rotating backs due to some pre-designed plan without making decisions based on what's working on the field... Ya know. 

• Like (+1) 3

We’ve been trash for 40% of the season. Absolutely garbage football on display. 

The biggest issues are by far the o-line and d-line. 

We can’t block to protect Josh or open up holes for the run game. And can we end the Cody Ford experiment already? 

We’ve invested so much into the d-line and we still can’t get to the QB. Loved getting Oliver but he isn’t the kind of player he was hyped to be. He’s solid, but his production is not there for a top 10 pick. Addison is a ***** fossil. Butler is trash and Obada is a JAG. Can we please get over this Carolina connection already? Groot isn’t a good pass rusher. He’s a guy that gets coverage sacks and plays the run pretty well. That’s really it. Boogie looks like a wasted pick and that’s on Beane. 2nd round picks should be contributing but he barely sees the field for a team that can’t sack the QB. 

Fix the lines and our major problems go away. 

• Like (+1) 2

We had our hopes built up too high. Just a few years ago we all would be happy to be 6-4 and looking forward to getting to see the Bills in a national broadcast. Rightfully we are disappointed after all of the hype and last year’s performance. I do not believe that this team is not capable of better play. All around they have more talent than last year. The heart and discipline of last year is missing. They are not imposing their will on anyone. Our wins are against undisciplined teams including what was the Chiefs. McDermott will need to find a way to snap them all out of it. Not sure running around with a boxing glove on a stick is doing it for them. 

Edited by JackKemp
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JackKemp said:

We had our hopes built up too high. Just a few years ago we all would be happy to 6-4 and looking forward to getting to see the Bills in a national broadcast. Rightfully we are disappointed after all of the hype and last year’s performance. I do not believe that this team is not capable of better play. All around they have more talent than last year. The heart and discipline of last year is missing. They are not imposing their will on anyone. Our wins are against undisciplined teams including what was the Chiefs. McDermott will need to find a way to snap them all out of it. Not sure running around with a boxing glove on a stick is doing it for them. 

KC seemed even more dead in the water earlier this season. 

The fire is back for them.

There's no guarantee the Bills will rekindle the fire in their belly. But never say never. 

We shall see.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

KC seemed even more dead in the water earlier this season. 

The fire is back for them.

There's no guarantee the Bills will rekindle the fire in their belly. But never say never. 

We shall see.  

It really feels like the Bills beat KC as their prove it game and proceeded to stop doing the things that gave them success. It didn't help that after the Titans loss virtually everyone said Buffalo was still the team to beat and they received very little criticism to do better. I agree nothing is over by any means, but its hard to believe the fire is finally going to kick back on again after another time of saying "maybe this will awaken them". 

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

It really feels like the Bills beat KC as their prove it game and proceeded to stop doing the things that gave them success. It didn't help that after the Titans loss virtually everyone said Buffalo was still the team to beat and they received very little criticism to do better. I agree nothing is over by any means, but its hard to believe the fire is finally going to kick back on again after another time of saying "maybe this will awaken them". 

Ya know, a lot of people have said similar things. But that Titans game was a hell of a game. 

I think the loss on the final play was a huge let down for the team more so than the win against KC. 

And yeah, there's no reason to believe that something will just click on. It's going to take extraordinary effort and motivational leadership. 

I see McDermott is very committed to restraining his emotions. But for the love of God, be the leader of this team, get in guys faces and fire them the ***** up. Stop holding back the anger unless you want to be watching the playoffs from your couch. 

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

wonderful and elegant. I always liked the paper crown metaphor but the Bills really do lack talent where it is most needed - the middle of the D line and the entire O line. Not sure whether any inspiration (perhaps digging up Seabiscuit and keeping him around the locker room and on the sidelines on gameday could help-or was he made into dogfood?) will transform the D and O lines into anything other than mediocre.

IMHO, and I am really hoping I am wrong but am worried that Josh Allen is going to mirror Jeff George's style and career.. Wonderful physical tools but no head for the game. If I am right then the Bills are now trapped in a lose-lose situation for the remainder of his contract. We shall see what these last seven games show as to the true nature of the Bills' QB - I really hope the last several games were an "Allen Aberration" and he reverts to 2020 form.

There is no comparison between Jeff George and Josh Allen.  George was a complete me-first a-hole.  Even his father was known to be an a-hole (which is likely why George himself developed that personality).   Allen is not playing well right now, but he's a total team guy who takes responsibility and will work as hard as he can to correct his mistakes and get better.  George blamed everyone else and took no responsibility.

Also, from a playing style, George was not a great athlete, but had a great arm.  Allen, on the other hand, has both a great arm AND great athletic ability. 

Edited by msw2112
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will be the contrarian here: The "no heart" mantra is weak and unhelpful. Just like there is lazy reporting, there can be lazy takes on message boards. The "no heart" take is easy to throw out, but almost impossible to measure or evaluate. On occasion, you'll see a player, and maybe even a whole unit sort of give up on the field. But really, that is rare, and hard to prove, or disprove. That is the conundrum of all religions, the problem for us human followers is that who of us is worthy to judge another man's heart? Whether that be in their devotion to a God or their dedication on a playing field. We can't. But even in religion, we can judge what another person does or doesn't do.

So I offer a more simple solution, maybe the level of talent and ability is just not there? That can be measured, sometimes by combine drills and stopwatches, and maybe even stats, but most telling are the results on the field.

I don't know about heart, but what I seen over the past four games has been inconsistent play and uneven results on the field. I suspect that is more about a talent deficit at several positions rather than lack of "heart or "want-to", especially when starters are out for COVID and injuries.

Just saying. Go ahead and flame away.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Ya know, a lot of people have said similar things. But that Titans game was a hell of a game. 

I think the loss on the final play was a huge let down for the team more so than the win against KC. 

They are human like us and I have to believe they lost that game and then saw the next four games being MIA/JAX/NYJ/IND (who at the time was lying down at 1-4 I think) and probably thought it is ok we have a stretch to get some easy games. Sadly 2-2 has resulted in a reallyyy tough climb now.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I will be the contrarian here: The "no heart" mantra is weak and unhelpful. Just like there is lazy reporting, there can be lazy takes on message boards. The "no heart" take is easy to throw out, but almost impossible to measure or evaluate. On occasion, you'll see a player, and maybe even a whole unit sort of give up on the field. But really, that is rare, and hard to prove, or disprove. That is the conundrum of all religions, the problem for us human followers is that who of us is worthy to judge another man's heart? Whether that be in their devotion to a God or their dedication on a playing field. We can't. But even in religion, we can judge want another person does or doesn't do.

So I offer a more simple solution, maybe the level of talent and ability is just not there? That can be measured, sometimes by combine drills and stopwatches, and maybe even stats, but most telling are the results on the field.

I don't know about heart, but what I seen over the past four games has been inconsistent play and uneven results on the field. I suspect that is more about a talent deficit at several positions rather than lack of "heart or "want-to", especially when starters are out for COVID and injuries.

Just saying. Go ahead and flame away.

You don't need to be a theologian or psychologist to see a team with no heart.  This is a group of guys that sniffed their own farts and enjoyed the smell and assumed that was enough to win games. 

To your point, i do believe it's possible that the talent simply isn't there.  McD isn't a good enough coach to win games against prepared opponents, and the players lack the skill/motivation to play above their station. 

Oh well, there's always last year

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You don't need to be a theologian or psychologist to see a team with no heart.  This is a group of guys that sniffed their own farts and enjoyed the smell and assumed that was enough to win games. 

To your point, i do believe it's possible that the talent simply isn't there.  McD isn't a good enough coach to win games against prepared opponents, and the players lack the skill/motivation to play above their station. 

Oh well, there's always last year

There is plenty of talent. Talent beats bad and mediocre teams. Teamwork like the 2020 version beats good teams. We did not have Star or Spencer Brown last year. We were without Milano an awful lot last year. Edmunds missed a couple games last year too. Their response to COVID is telling They are not thinking team first right now. That is partly on McDermott and partly on player leadership.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.