Draft Prospects

Milanos Milano

16 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Thanks. I'll add him to my list to review. 👍

Marquan McCall, NT, Kentucky
Height: 6-3. Weight: 358.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2022): 5-7. .........................  immoveable.  run stopper, not a pass rusher..... late round

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

16 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Marquan McCall, NT, Kentucky
Height: 6-3. Weight: 358.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2022): 5-7. .........................  immoveable.  run stopper, not a pass rusher..... late round

Thanks. For some reason he was already on my list for DT'S and I have him as a 7 and maybe even an udfa.... Don't remember where I got his name from though.🤔

On 12/27/2021 at 5:38 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

Penning-Dawkins-Patterson/Morris-Brown-Faalele 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:41 PM, SCBills said:

Currently projected late 1st Round in areas we could be looking at:

Trevor Penning - OT - Northern Iowa

On 1/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, GunnerBill said:

If Penning is there I am drafting him and putting Dawkins inside.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, I thought the same all season. Penning/Brown bookends would be awesome, but I’ll save that thought until after the combine.

On 1/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Some of my favorite guys for 2022… 

Trevor Penning OT, Northern Iowa

On 1/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, LyndonvilleBill said:

I don't have any issue moving Dawkins inside. My only issue is if we get a rookie center (a lot of people want to replace Morse) and a rookie LT, you'd be putting him in the middle of 2 rookies. Don't think that would be a good idea.

Seems that many of you guys would draft Trevor Penning and move Dawkins inside. I am just curious - is there any reason to believe that Dawkins would be any good playing guard? Did he play that position in the past?

On 1/1/2022 at 10:21 PM, NewEra said:

Yeah, it’s tough to discuss moving a team captain from a premier position to an less valuable position.  How would he deal with it mentally.  Some dudes are fragile and can’t cope.  It’s a demotion in a sense and can possibly have a negative effect in the locker room if he doesn’t cope well. He seems like an emotional gentleman.  Ya never know. 

but I’d roll the dice on Pennell.  Would be a nice pairing @ LT and RT protecting 17

Also this. We pay Dawkins to play LT and I guess he feels like one. Is it that easy just to draft someone else and "downgrade" Dion? He'd certainly not be happy about it. Which does not mean he is not a team first guy and would be able to handle it, I just think that is something to consider.

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Seems that many of you guys would draft Trevor Penning and move Dawkins inside. I am just curious - is there any reason to believe that Dawkins would be any good playing guard? Did he play that position in the past?

Also this. We pay Dawkins to play LT and I guess he feels like one. Is it that easy just to draft someone else and "downgrade" Dion? He'd certainly not be happy about it. Which does not mean he is not a team first guy and would be able to handle it, I just think that is something to consider.

I don’t want to dock Dawkins pay, just slide him inside. If Dawkins views getting paid the same but being a LG as a demotion, then that’s a Dawkins problem. We need help at LG and I think Dawkins would play well there. Either that or take Green with our first round pick if he is available. 

23 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I don’t want to dock Dawkins pay, just slide him inside. If Dawkins views getting paid the same but being a LG as a demotion, then that’s a Dawkins problem. We need help at LG and I think Dawkins would play well there. Either that or take Green with our first round pick if he is available. 

I think Dawkins is a pretty good LT.  I'd much rather take someone like Green and keep Dawkins at LT.  

If Green is gone, but Penning is there, I guess that's up to the staff to make that work, but LT/RT are the least of our problems moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I had Dawkins graded as a guard with tackle flex coming out. He played tackle at Temple but he has always lacked idea length for tackle in the NFL something he has made up for with quickness and sound technique. He did play some snaps for us at guard as a rookie when I think Incognito went down during a game for a series or two and they had Cody left tackle and Dawkins left guard and he was flying off the ball in the run game and was aggressive getting to the second level. I get it, really small sample size, but I have always thought he would be a good NFL tackle and a great NFL guard. The last 18 months before this season he has been excellent at tackle and probably out performed my expectations. But this season has not been a good one. Some of it might be the covid hangover but there were stories out there about his conditioning last spring even before he contracted covid. That is a worry.

I am not trying to replace Dion Dawkins as such, but if you are drafting to upgrade the oline in round 1 you go after a guy who can be a franchise left tackle and then you future the rest out from there. You don't draft a 1st round guard unless you are getting Quinton Nelson or Zack Martin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Offensive weapons I’d like to see added to this roster in the draft are Isaiah Likely and George Pickens. Pickens is the 50/50 ball type receiver we’ve been yearning for. A 2 TE look with Knox and Likely would scare the bejeezus out of defenses. I’d also like to see the Bills draft Brennan Armstrong at QB to develop. He’s athletic and accurate with the ball

On 1/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Some of my favorite guys for 2022… 

Trevor Penning OT, Northern Iowa

Ahmad Gardner CB, Cincinnati 

Trent McDuffie CB, Washington

Daniel Faalele OT, Minnesota 

Kyler Gordon CB, Washington

Alec Pierce WR, Cincinnati 

Velus Jones Jr. WR, Tennessee 

Clint Ratkovich H-Back, NIU

Trevor Penning is my guy too…

As a rookie you slot him in at LG (played many snaps at RG for N Iowa) for a potential swap with Dawkins after a few years if he wins the competition.

Bad thing is….He is already considered a round 1 guy.  He will be at the Senior Bowl in 3 weeks and I 100% expect him to boost his draft stock even more.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:36 AM, SCBills said:

I think Dawkins is a pretty good LT.  I'd much rather take someone like Green and keep Dawkins at LT.  

If Green is gone, but Penning is there, I guess that's up to the staff to make that work, but LT/RT are the least of our problems moving forward. 

Penning had plenty of playing time at RG for N Iowa…. You plug him in right away At LG… Bates a future replacement for Morse.  After a year, maybe 2, Penning and Dawkins can battle for the LT position being Dawkins may only have a year left on his contract.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Trevor Penning is my guy too…

As a rookie you slot him in at LG (played many snaps at RG for N Iowa) for a potential swap with Dawkins after a few years if he wins the competition.

Bad thing is….He is already considered a round 1 guy.  He will be at the Senior Bowl in 3 weeks and I 100% expect him to boost his draft stock even more.

Penning had plenty of playing time at RG for N Iowa…. You plug him in right away At LG… Bates a future replacement for Morse.  After a year, maybe 2, Penning and Dawkins can battle for the LT position being Dawkins may only have a year left on his contract.

I want Penning, but I will settle for Faalele. 

On 1/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, ExWNYer said:

It's amazing how many myopic people think that you have to take a RB in Round 1 to get a 'dynamic' player. It's so blatantly false and a not a great use of a top asset. The OL-needy Steelers foolishly eschewed that need and took Najee Harris instead. 

Notice that they are in the playoffs

I think the philosphy is to go for the superior player with the highest ceiling, rather than a good JAG with a high floor to fill a hole.  We will this in all the rounds after round 1.  For round 1:

Davis will not be there, and we will not trade up for him.

IF one of the top 3-4 OT is there, we take him and reshuffle the o-line.  Neal, Ekonwu, Pennning, Kinard

If the world's best center is there we take him. Remember that our center has had a lot of concussions and there may be some knowledge that he is going to call it a career.  (Linderbaum if Morse is going)

If the first LB is there we take him and upgrade our run defense by getting us a killer 4-3 formation option against the running game.

Damone Clark .................. .Llyod or B.Smith in the 2nd

13 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

IF one of the top 3-4 OT is there, we take him and reshuffle the o-line.  Neal, Ekonwu, Pennning, Kinard

I am looking at tackles at the moment. Neal makes me very wary. He is great going forwards. Once he has to go sideways... ugh that is ugly. I really worry about him in pass sets for a team that wants to throw it down the football field. At this stage I think he is a right tackle only. And if that is my conclusion then he won't get a 1st round grade from me. 

The talk of him going top 5 is mad. Charles Cross and Ikem Ekonwu are the top two tackles and Ekonwu reminds me a bit of Dawkins. The arm measurements for him will be vital. I think he is potentially an all pro guard. His length worries me a tad at tackle. I will wait for the measurements before I finalise my view but I am leaning towards grading him as a guard with tackle flex. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am looking at tackles at the moment. Neal makes me very wary. He is great going forwards. Once he has to go sideways... ugh that is ugly. I really worry about him in pass sets for a team that wants to throw it down the football field. At this stage I think he is a right tackle only. And if that is my conclusion then he won't get a 1st round grade from me. 

The talk of him going top 5 is mad. Charles Cross and Ikem Ekonwu are the top two tackles and Ekonwu reminds me a bit of Dawkins. The arm measurements for him will be vital. I think he is potentially an all pro guard. His length worries me a tad at tackle. I will wait for the measurements before I finalise my view but I am leaning towards grading him as a guard with tackle flex. 

Thanks for the analysis.  I would not take a pure guard in the first round, nor a tackle, who would have a chance of downgrading to guard. I want a LOF with such a pick.  We can get a good shot at that player in the second round.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:00 AM, No_Matter_What said:

It looks like Dawkins is stalking tbd like

Sneaking Andrew Garfield GIF by A24

he saw this thread and said awwwww helll naaaaaw!  Dude has been a beast since the last patriot game.  Just about the time our OL woke up

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Notice that they are in the playoffs

As they were the prior season…..while missing a handful of their best players to injury. It’s not like they went from the a bottom 10 team to top 10.  The Steelers are what they were last year, but with a good RB and no time to throw deep

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Thanks for the analysis.  I would not take a pure guard in the first round, nor a tackle, who would have a chance of downgrading to guard. I want a LOF with such a pick.  We can get a good shot at that player in the second round.

Yea me too on a pure guard. Ekonwu is definitely not that, he has played tackle and played it well. I had the same concern with Dion coming out he ended up as my top guard with a 2nd round grade that year. The Bills took him played him at tackle and he has been pretty good. I feel like Ekonwu can be pretty good as well. Can he be better than that at tackle? That is the question and his length may be a physical limitation. If I conclude it is then Ekonwu would probably end up my top guard prospect but still in the first because I am more confident at tackle in him than I was with Dion based on their college film. That would promote Penning to my #2 tackle. I really like him and I think his ceiling is almost limitless. The issue is there is some rawness in his game too. So he is a bit boom or bust compared to Ekonwu who I think is a very safe pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.