Article: Will Josh Allen regress in 2021?

JohnNord

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well the season is starting in 2 more days and I find it interesting that Mayfield and Jackson have not signed extensions.

Will that make them PROgress or REgress?

That brings up an interesting point.  Were there articles prior to last season asking if Jackson was going to regress?  And where are the articles asking if Baker is going to regress?

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No one said he did. Nevertheless, the perception is the same.

I really don't understand why anyone would form any perceptions of what Allen may or may not do based on Carson Wentz or any other QB. There are so many variables that go into the success, or lack of success, any QB may experience. Whatever Allen does, in terms of success, will be according to those variables unique to him.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

That brings up an interesting point.  Were there articles prior to last season asking if Jackson was going to regress?  And where are the articles asking if Baker is going to regress?

It's funny that Josh Allen brings that out with certain media personalities.  Imagine if Allen hadn't signed an extension yet.

What would the "national media" be saying?  You heard a lot of talk about the other two after Josh signed and it's been pretty much

crickets ever since.  Going into a 1st round QBs 5th year option it's pretty much a given nowadays that an extension gets done before

the first snap of the 5th year contract year.

Are the Browns and Ravens wanting to see more before signing an extension?

Does Baker and Lamar think they can be better off not signing and head to FA?

Will those 2 teams need to go the "Franchise Tag" route with these QBs?

I bet these kind of articles would be going on about Josh if he didn't sign yet.  I love how a lot of the media still hates eating crow about Allen.

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I really don't understand why anyone would form any perceptions of what Allen may or may not do based on Carson Wentz or any other QB. There are so many variables that go into the success, or lack of success, any QB may experience. Whatever Allen does, in terms of success, will be according to those variables unique to him.

For sure, but he's been compared to other QBs since forever. It's reality and you know what they say about perception....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Well, there was this, although the season had started:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/lamar-jackson-is-regressing-and-the-ravens-are-struggling-because-of-it/ar-BB1aB70C

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it was while he was regressing.  Which is fair.  It wasn't questioning him prior to that.  He had a season similar to Josh's. 

I guess they're not asking the same question about Baker because he didn't have nearly as good a season as Josh did and can certainly improve on it.  For Josh, who had a historic season, it will be much harder to do.

Hell no.  There are still a lot of doubters out there who will seemingly never come to terms with the improvement in Josh's accuracy, and trust me, Josh is aware of them and is working like a madman to permanently shut them up.  Assuming a healthy season from Josh and his supporting crew, I expect him to absolutely torch the league this year and put up a top-5 all-time season for a QB, win his first MVP and take us to the Super Bowl.  He will leave no doubters, except for a pathetic few that will pivot to calling Josh a witch.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, JohnNord said:

Matthew Fairburn recently wrote an article exploring whether Josh Allen would regress next year.  

He tried to explore a number of different statistics and Next-Gen stars to contemplate whether Allen is poised to regress next year.

His takeaway was that he expects to see a small regression, as it might be hard for Allen to duplicate the numbers from his monster 2020 season, but that it’s unlikely he returns to his 2019 form.  According to him, Josh is likely to fall between his performance in 2019 and 2020.   The article isn’t necessarily negative, but it questions whether we should expect the improvement we’ve seen the past two year.

This seems to make sense but what makes it hard to evaluate Josh is that he’s unlike any other QB prospect over the past 2 decades or so.  There really aren’t any comps for Allen - at least in his first 3 seasons.  Last year the talk was about how few QB’s improved in their 3rd season, and why most plateau in their 2nd year.  

To add to the complexity, it’s rare to find a situation where a QB (especially in the first 3 seasons) to retain nearly all of his coaching staff and offensive personnel.  

While the outlook is sensible, Allen has always found a way of falling outside the data-driven projections from analysts.  Let’s hope it happens again in 2021!  

https://theathletic.com/2798162/2021/09/06/will-buffalo-bills-quarterback-josh-allen-regress-in-2021/?source=user_shared_article

Carson Wentz & Ben Roethlisberger (can't believe I spelled that correctly) are 2 of the active QBs that I believe mostly fall into Allen's category as a prospect. Wentz was kind of derailed by injuries, but had an unfortunate fall in production when he WAS healthy. The jury is still out and I'm not sure if it was his or the organization's fault. His next 2 years in Indy will be his moment of truth. Hopefully, Allen won't make that kind of regression. 

I don't see Allen getting "figured out" the way a guy like Lamar Jackson did. He's going to kill you in so many other ways if you shut down certain facets of his game. He's not a system QB by any means and I've always felt he would succeed anywhere.

I agree w/ the writer that he will probably have a slight regression. It's extremely hard to put up 47 TDs a year. Fans are putting too much expectations & pressure on him (some already proclaiming him to be better than Kelly.) When I say slight, I mean 40 TD's or so. He's just too unstoppable to shut down and he's going to be a factor on every drive he's in. 💯

He will be better than last year. If the pass rush is as legit as it looked in preseason, he will have a ton of opportunities to put points on the board. There is absolutely nothing about his talent at this point that says he's peaked, let alone that he will somehow be worse. The click bait bull#### has really reached a fevered pitch right before the season begins.