Sports Illustrated: Bills Biggest Weakness, Defensive Tackle

16 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

ME: SI biggest weakness, everything

I think Albert Breer is the best national NFL writer around right now.

15 hours ago, Simon said:

This is going to sound utterly insane, but losing Tre White could be almost as devastating as losing Josh Allen. :ph34r:

Agreed. I think corner is their biggest problem given the position’s importance (more important than DE to me) and a near complete lack of depth along with a CB2 who could only start for the Bills because the Bills’ scheme masks his weaknesses.

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Not for me and I have no subscription,

Either:

1. They changed status of article.

2. They have a filter to which says "Simon stay out".

NE did get two paragraphs and an automatically playing video.

I would say Bills' issue is lack of team cohesion.

No, you get three free articles a month. After that, no more.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: This was a toss-up for me, a process made no easier given that any person or position named in this space would immediately draw the ire of Bills Mafia. And it makes sense; this is as complete a team as we’ll see in the NFL this year. Linebacker was another option. Either is going to sound nitpicky, but remember that this is a weakness relative to the rest of the team and not necessarily the league. A pairing of Ed Oliver and Star Lotulelei sounds good on paper, and Oliver was actually one of Buffalo’s best defensive players in terms of net yards over average last season, behind only Matt Milano. That said, the unit lacks some punch, finishing 26th in yards per attempt surrendered by opposing running backs (Lotulelei opted out of the 2020 season, and in ’19 the unit was eight spots better in the same category). Buffalo did a majority of its work this offseason on the pass rush, which may have been a way of compensating for a threadbare defensive tackle class in the draft.

I feel like guys like Edmunds and especially Ed Oliver would be under way more fire if we didn't have Josh Allen on the team. Fortunately, we don't have to rely on the defense as much to win games so underperforming draft picks aren't getting as much critique as they should. This is the Bill Bellichick effect. In years past, Oliver would be getting roasted by this message board. This is my opinion so take it or leave it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/27/2021 at 5:42 PM, JohnNord said:

This is a reasonable opinion.  There’s a huge emphasis on Oliver, Lotulelei and Edmunds to improve the run defense and I’m not confident on their ability to step it up

I agree, the one that really has to "show up" is Edmunds.  Oliver is pretty much as advertised and Star does a decent job eating space but Edmunds.  With the Pats heavy run influence this year with the big O Line and stud rookie RB, they are going to run it down our throats and Belichek in the past has keyed on Edmunds who Belichek can out wit.  

15 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Beane had plenty of chances to upgrade CB2 but bet on Dane Jackson. It didn't pay off. We are really thin at CB.

We don't know if it paid off or not yet. Jackson and Wallace still competing for CB2. I agree about being a little thin at CB, but can't say Dane Jackson hasn't paid off when it remains to be seen

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

We don't know if it paid off or not yet. Jackson and Wallace still competing for CB2. I agree being a little thin at CB, but can't say Dane Jackson hasn't paid off.

I think that ship has sailed. Wallace is the clear winner and it wasn't close. For the purpose of a SB window this year, Jackson is not much of a comfort behind just a serviceable CB2.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Green Lightning said:

I think that ship has sailed. Wallace is the clear winner and it wasn't close. For the purpose of a SB window this year, Jackson is not much of a comfort behind just a serviceable CB2.

Well the Packers game it was said Jackson and Wallace are still competing for CB2. So unless something has changed since Saturday that I somehow missed, I'd say that ship is still at the dock and not quite ready to sail off yet.

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well the Packers game it was said Jackson and Wallace are still competing for CB2. So unless something has changed since Saturday that I somehow missed, I'd say that ship is still at the dock and not quite ready to sail off yet.

Nah,  Wallace on the deck and Jackson is on the dock.

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Where you get that from? Or you just assuming or predicting it? Because Saturday during the game when Beane was interviewing with announcers, he said Dane and Wallace were competing for #2 CB.

So are you saying as of Sunday or by this morning the competition is over and Wallace was named? If so, please show me because I must have missed it.

31 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/08/bills-cornerback-levi-wallace-in-neck-and-neck-competition-to-keep-starting-spot.html

You presented your post as if it was a fact, but kinda looks a little more like your opinion. Which is what I thought because if it was true, I don't think I would have missed something like that.

Anyway, bottom line they are still competing for it like I thought.

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/08/bills-cornerback-levi-wallace-in-neck-and-neck-competition-to-keep-starting-spot.html

You presented your post as if it was a fact, but kinda looks a little more like your opinion. Which is what I thought because if it was true, I don't think I would have missed something like that.

Anyway, bottom line they are still competing for it like I thought.

Watching this team for 50 years. The only thing Jackson is is competing for is a spot on the final 53. If anyone on this board believes he outplayed Wallace I haven't seen it, because he hasn't. Not close 

7 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Watching this team for 50 years. The only thing Jackson is is competing for is a spot on the final 53. If anyone on this board believes he outplayed Wallace I haven't seen it, because he hasn't. Not close 

Apparently it's close enough to still be a competition. You don't know if either has outplayed the other any more than I do. All we can go by is what's reported for the most part.

So looks as if coaches disagree with you about it being not close. Otherwise the competition wouldn't be so "close" 

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Apparently it's close enough to still be a competition. You don't know if either has outplayed the other any more than I do. All we can go by is what's reported for the most part.

So looks as if coaches disagree with you about it being not close. Otherwise the competition wouldn't be so "close" 

Of course Beane will say that. That's his job. Use you eyes and read what the those who follow and report on the team say. Beane was just praising Bam Johnson a few days ago and now he's gone. That's his job. Wallace is our CB 2. 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Of course Beane will say that. That's his job. Use you eyes and read what the those who follow and report on the team say. Beane was just praising Bam Johnson a few days ago and now he's gone. That's his job. Wallace is our CB 2. 

Beane wasn't the only one that's saying it. Frazier also, If you even jus skimmed the article I posted that proved you wrong it would help you get a little more insight.

Wallace may very well win it, but point is as of now it's still open

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I think it's fairly clear that, unless something changes, Wallace is the starter and Jackson is a roster lock. But I'm ASSUMING that based on the information so far, and from what I saw during the preseason game.  So it's my (and your) opinion. But it is not official, as of yet.

Was that so hard?

9 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I think it's fairly clear that, unless something changes, Wallace is the starter and Jackson is a roster lock. But I'm ASSUMING that based on the information so far, and from what I saw during the preseason game.  So it's my (and your) opinion. But it is not official, as of yet.

Was that so hard?

And as long as I'm spouting assumptions: I think Frazier is saying what he means: Technically it is still a competition. I think for the most part, this serves as motivation. A warning to Wallace that he can't assume he's the guy---and to Jackson, to tell him he has a chance if he really can produce. Motivation and a challenge to both players. 

I know TE isn't great, but our passing game is good enough to make it not as big an issue. 

The DT's on the other hand... that's the biggest weakness because it causes a glaring issue that's extremely detrimental to the entirety of the defense. 

Teams like the Chiefs and Titans didn't even need to pass. Every run was for huge gains, and kept our offense off the field. 

You can hide the bad TEs when your passing attack is still so good, but those DT's being unable to stop the run drags the whole defense down. 

On 8/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, Simon said:

This is going to sound utterly insane, but losing Tre White could be almost as devastating as losing Josh Allen. :ph34r:

Why would you even type this?!?!?!?  Are you crazy???  You know how this works, right?