Too early to look at punters?

Beerball

9 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Cory B is gone.   I thought he was fine, maybe a little pricey but nothing that wasn't manageable.  Beane may have missed on this one.

I'll give you three reasons.  Unilateral fake FG (should have been gone after that alone), untimely shanks, fumbled snaps resulting in opposing points.  

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Cory B is gone.   I thought he was fine, maybe a little pricey but nothing that wasn't manageable.  Beane may have missed on this one.

I am still trying to figure out why people think Cory B should have been re-signed.  He was a booming punter with absolutely no control.  Shanks, touchbacks, and long , low kicks down the middle allowing returns were common.  The biggest issue was holding - he was terrible and cost the Bills points on both FGs and XPs because he could not get the laces right and consistently place the ball.

BoJo almost singlehandedly cost the Bills our Kicker - as everyone was blaming Bass for the misses - when quick film review showed it was BoJo many times not getting the laces out and Bass was kicking the laces.

Haack will not kick them as far, but even in the Chicago game - we saw multiple punts right on the sidelines (along with directional kickoffs) and he has much better height and control to allow his team to down the ball inside the 20.

The biggest improvement is in holding and Bass looks amazing because he is getting consistent holds from his kicker.  I would give up punt yardage easily to get better holds on kicks as that is points.

Not only do I not think Beane missed out - I think that may end up being one of the biggest improvements in the off-saeason.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am still trying to figure out why people think Cory B should have been re-signed.  He was a booming punter with absolutely no control.  Shanks, touchbacks, and long , low kicks down the middle allowing returns were common.  The biggest issue was holding - he was terrible and cost the Bills points on both FGs and XPs because he could not get the laces right and consistently place the ball.

BoJo almost singlehandedly cost the Bills our Kicker - as everyone was blaming Bass for the misses - when quick film review showed it was BoJo many times not getting the laces out and Bass was kicking the laces.

Haack will not kick them as far, but even in the Chicago game - we saw multiple punts right on the sidelines (along with directional kickoffs) and he has much better height and control to allow his team to down the ball inside the 20.

The biggest improvement is in holding and Bass looks amazing because he is getting consistent holds from his kicker.  I would give up punt yardage easily to get better holds on kicks as that is points.

Not only do I not think Beane missed out - I think that may end up being one of the biggest improvements in the off-saeason.

All of this I agree with and I was a Bojo critic before being a Bojo critic was cool. He thought hang time was an optional extra. However, Haack's elongated wind up to kick does worry me a tad. He has only ever had 1 blocked I believe so maybe nothing to worry about but if I have noticed it you better believe the Hoodie has too. His shank on Saturday was a direct result of the Bears managing to rush him. I have looked back on the play and will again once the all22 is out. Jaquan Johnson who is usually the Bills personal protector on punts was not dressed and it looks from a relatively inadequate broadcast view as though rookie UDFA Nick McCloud was in there as the PP and failed to see a guy coming and thought he had a free release to go cover the kick. I will need to look back at the all22 when it comes out but it does look like at least in part it was on a protection breakdown. I think with a punter with a snappier action you might get away with it but that elongated wind up does put pressure on those protection units. 

Haack is definitely a better directional punter, and a better holder, but the risk of blocks does concern me at this stage based on what we have seen in pre-season and to use a Colin Cowherd phrase "nothing is everything, but everything is something."

• Thank you (+1) 1

The other piece I don’t get is that Haack is slow and is going to have kicks blocked.  In 4 seasons with well over 300 NFL punts, Haack has had 1 kick blocked - a 0.3% block rate.  He is due to have another, but compare that to BoJo.

BoJo in 2.5 seasons and 165 NFL punts has had 2 blocked - a 1.2% block rate - about 4 times higher than Haack and he is also due for a block.  The fact that both these teams were AFC East teams meant - both played similar schedules and both played NE multiple times.

I won’t disagree that Haack seems more deliberate back there, but his timing must be alright to have nearly twice as many punts as BoJo and half the blocked kicks.

Sorry @GunnerBill I was addressing this as you responded - I wanted to look up the data.

I agree, but remember - Haack kicked for 4 years in Miami - so the Hoodie has had 8 games against Miami and has not regularly found a way to block his kicks in the past.  If it is going to happen - then it is on our staff to block as well as Miami did because they managed to protect him.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The other piece I don’t get is that Haack is slow and is going to have kicks blocked.  In 4 seasons with well over 300 NFL punts, Haack has had 1 kick blocked - a 0.3% block rate.  He is due to have another, but compare that to BoJo.

BoJo in 2.5 seasons and 165 NFL punts has had 2 blocked - a 1.2% block rate - about 4 times higher than Haack and he is also due for a block.  The fact that both these teams were AFC East teams meant - both played similar schedules and both played NE multiple times.

I won’t disagree that Haack seems more deliberate back there, but his timing must be alright to have nearly twice as many punts as BoJo and half the blocked kicks.

I know the numbers are in his favour but I still don't like his wind up. Think to really assess you'd have to go through shanks as well and in order to do that look at each individual shank and work out whether it was a result of pressure or just a bad connection. 

What a very curious move bringing in this pedestrian warm weather punter. Hard to imagine Beane would pass on our vet punter who improved every year for this gentleman. Gagging up field position with this Miami reject is hard to swallow. Beane will never admit an unforced error so early. We better be efficient on both sides of the ball to overcome this weak legged punter.

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You could tell Bass was practicing directional kicks, so Haack was probably practicing something specific. If I recall, Haack isn't a boomer like Bojo, but he’s more known for good accuracy on his kicks.

Part of watching bears kicker I truly saw the definition of outkicking your coverage. We had two returns of punts that would have been nothing if the punt was simply 5 yards shorter. If Haack can place punts I will be happy vs just booming it like Bojo

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Part of watching bears kicker I truly saw the definition of outkicking your coverage. We had two returns of punts that would have been nothing if the punt was simply 5 yards shorter. If Haack can place punts I will be happy vs just booming it like Bojo

The Bears punter is another big legged guy who has occasionally in his career had issues generating hang time - a bit Bojo like. I remember I wanted to spend a 7th round pick on him the year he came out but the Bears snagged him in the 6th I think. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bears punter is another big legged guy who has occasionally in his career had issues generating hang time - a bit Bojo like. I remember I wanted to spend a 7th round pick on him the year he came out but the Bears snagged him in the 6th I think. 

I can see the draw but the two big returns were allowed mostly because he sent the ball long but not high. Stevenson had an absurd amount of room.

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I can see the draw but the two big returns were allowed mostly because he sent the ball long but not high. Stevenson had an absurd amount of room.

Yea he has had this problem on and off his whole NFL career. Same as Bojo. Big leg but lacks control and often out kicks his coverage.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he has had this problem on and off his whole NFL career. Same as Bojo. Big leg but lacks control and often out kicks his coverage.

They were talking about this on OBL today - Chris Brown said he doesn’t ever remember a punt where the receiver had nearly 30 yards when he caught the ball.

He thought they were working on directional kicking and the punter was supposed to put the punt out of bounds - because the gunners both did not get off and pursue like you would expect with a normal punt and then he kicked it long, but low to the sideline.

He remembers that happened to the Bills punter back in the Marrone era - the play was to punt it out of bounds and prevent a return and it came off the punters foot toward the middle of the field and the entire special teams unit was out of position.

Maddy said once the return started that Stevenson had 2-3 different lanes to turn it up for a TD return.

Edited by Rochesterfan

On 8/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, ProcessTruster said:

Havnt read the whole thread yet, so someone might have already said this, but holding. Bojo was a terrible holder. Every hold was an adventure. 

On 8/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, MJS said:

He was awesome the week before. I guess give him the chance in the regular season to show this he isn't the guy. No need to panic now.

We fans panic now with a single shank. They have a list of guys a half dozen deep at least to fly in tomorrow if they need to. 

….but I do have some concerns. 

Edited by Augie